internet explorer and mozilla firefox!

CADbug

Hmm... where to begin?

Looks great in IE, utterly broken in FF :o

A good place to start might be here: http://validator.w3.org/

The W3C validation service can help you to work out what's wrong. Basically, you should be creating valid and semantically correct markup and valid CSS.

The first thing you'll notice is that you have not included a DOCTYPE statement so immediately, no browser can work out how it is supposed to interpret the markup. Secondly, you have used a bunch of IE specific tags such as leftmargin="0" topmargin="0", these are not valid tags and so other browsers such as FF cannot understand them. You really ought to be specifying margins through CSS like:

body
{
margin-top:0;
margin-left:0;
}

You also have a style statement for your CSS in the body of your files. This should always be in the head. I suspect that FF is just ignoring this and that's the reason why it looks so bad.

You seem to have a confusing mix of linked CSS files and styles in the head and body of each file. One of your stylesheets is even linked to your local drive!!

Sort out those few things and you'll be well on your way to creating a valid site that looks just as good in FF as in IE.

• 7 months later...

Hi there, I just can't believe the reply you gave to Rajesh concerning browser compatibility. Isn't there anyone out there who can give a simple answer to a big problem. I have exactly the same problem as Rajesh. I have made a very simple site using a Mac OSX and Dreamweaver with no CSS styles. Once up and running I find it will not upload in Firefox. I know I have the wrong code as the many manuals that I have poured over tell me, but not one of them tell me how to rectify this. I'm no geek and don't understand half of what is being said when you talk code language. I find most of what is said slightly arrogant and demeaning. Not all of us are experts in everything to do with getting online so I would be grateful if any one out there can help me in simple terms. Thanks Vicky. http://www.ido-2.co.uk

Well, forgive me but I don't think that's the best way of asking for help.

Cadtutor simply assumed that the other user had some knowledge about the design of websites, so if you don't have it you can state it and ask for a more detailed help in a kinder way or you can always ask to Google, Yahoo, etc.

well hello there zars - I'm surprised you jumped so quickly to cad tutors defence, I'm sure he's quite capable of defending himself. I was just stateing a few facts. Perhaps the fact that you may have never have had to struggle is what makes you so intolerant. Vicky

Hi vicky - yes, I am capable of coming to my own defence but frankly, there's no defence necessary. The fact is that web design is not an area one can just drop into and expect everything to work perfectly. Building a website is not like writing a Word document, it requires a much deeper understanding of, well, lots of stuff.

I run an MA in Web Design at the University of Greenwich, which takes 2 years to complete and even then I don't think there is time to cover everything.

Many people believe that they can build a website just by learning how to use Dreamweaver or some other WYSIWYG tool but that's simply not the case. If you want to create a good website that works well in all browsers, and is accessible to those with disabilities, you have to learn how to code in XHTML and CSS. That means working within W3C standards and creating good semantic markup.

As a start, I recommend you read Elizabeth Casto's "HTML, XHTML & CSS" (6th Edition) and also take a look at the W3Schools site.

I'm sorry if you find this arrogant, I don't intend it to be so, I simply state the facts.

I notice that you are using frames to build your site. I strongly advise against the use of frames. Take a look at this article.

• 3 weeks later...

Please have alook at it and give feedback. Thanks a lot once again!

Looking good. Seems as though you have got to grips with Nvu. Couldn't find any major problems and it even works in IE7! Well done.

• 1 year later...

After reading this I think it's worth mentioning that you shouldn't need to customize a site for Firefox. Firefox tends to render code more correctly (or more "as intended" shall we say) than the IE variants. If your code is correct then you should not have problems with FF.

Avoid using FrontPage to build your site. Learn some basic css. Doctype is essential as well, as pointed out above. The simpler the better - learn how to style and control your basic elements like h1, p, li and you can do some amazing things. Forget javascript. Take a trip to cssplay.co.uk and learn what can be done :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I heard firefox have top margin problems sometimes with divs or headings, and can be fixed with padding atribute.

For frames i only use iframes for sub content, that still can be acepted to me, but framesets indeed its bad.