How to import .txt file with .dwg site plan to generate contours

littlerach

Hi All,

As a preface... I'm new here. Now here is my question: a civil engineer sent us a .dwg file for a site survey. However, the .dwg contours are just showing up as a series of overlapping rectangles. He attached two .txt files, one for elevation point locations, the other for tree locations. Both give coordinates... i.e. :452,2718.7202,2509.7896,569.4979,GL etc. I know that the .txt file is giving locations, but I do not know how to generate plines etc. from the given coordinates in the .txt file. I downloaded ascponit.lsp, but i'm not sure if this is meant for this...

I'm using AutoCAD 2008.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, LR

You need something like civ3d to create contours or one of the freebie programs out there think I wrote this also yesterday.

452,2718.7202,2509.7896,569.4979,GL is point num, X , Y ,Z , code

If you search here you will find some programs for importing points start with 1 done by Lee Mac but they will not contour nor do they "string" the points together.

Go back to the engineer ask him for a strung DWG how did he get the points ?

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying Lee Mac's .lsp now, but I don't seem to be having much luck. I'll keep plugging though. It's okay if they points aren't strung together... as long as they are plotted so I can string them together myself. I think I may just ask him to send us the drawing as we usually receive them...

Thanks again!