How do I list my blocks in my drawing?

I would like to make a list on my drawing of my blocks. Not with part reference. How do I do that?

Thank you in advanced.

Sandra

I think BCOUNT is an Express Tool, could be you don't have them installed. If you have a installation CD, you can insert that again and just install the Express Tools.

Thank you for your help DadGad. It was just what I was looking for.:D

If you've not used it before, take a few minutes and read in the f1 Help about it, and browse through the multiple pages of commandline and dialog boxes to better understand all of the capabilities and parameters that it has. Happy to help. :)

"If you've not used it before, take a few minutes and read in the f1 Help about it, and browse through the multiple pages of commandline and dialog boxes to better understand all of the capabilities and parameters that it has. Happy to help. :) "

I will do :)

"I think BCOUNT is an Express Tool, could be you don't have them installed. If you have a installation CD, you can insert that again and just install the Express Tools."

I will also look at this. :)

I too need a block count from my drawing and I tried Data Extraction. I told it to list only the blocks and all blocks, still it only comes up with three blocks, even though there are almost 50 blocks in this drawing right now. Tried it several times but still end up with the same three blocks, not the entire list. So what could I be doing wrong.

The model space is empty right now, but I want to list all the blocks that are available so I can make a listing of what is already in and know what still needs to be added as far as blocks for this drawing.

I really must be in the dark on this. I need a way to list all the blocks that are related to this drawing. The model space is empty...nothing is drawn in it at the moment. But the AutoCAD drawing file contains all these block references that are unique to this drawings and that is what I need a list of. Lee-Mac's program looked like it was going to do the trick but when I ran it, it only listed three blocks, which are the title blocks on the layout pages, so it's only listing the blocks which are in use.

If I type the command "block" it brings up a menu which contains a drop down list which shows all the blocks currently saved in this drawing. I want to make a listing of these to see what I have or more important, what I don't have saved in this drawing for now.

Have you tried the keyboard method of listing blocks?

-b (enter)

? (enter) (enter)

and there is your list of blocks in the drawing :D

Thanks, that at least gets me a list of all the user blocks related to this drawing file, there are 147 of them and I'm not done yet. The method of listing is actually like this:

-b

?

This listed all the blocks but unfortunately it does not list the description field which I so painstakingly field out each time I created or added a block to this file. Many of the block names are from this client's library and have only cryptic names like T1 or A-33, which tells me nothing about what it is.

The method of listing is actually like this:

-b

?

If you carefully examine the type of brackets on the prompt line, when you see [?], you have to enter the character in the bracket, but when you see , that is the default setting for that prompt, and you only need to press Enter to activate it.

Perhaps your version of AutoCAD gives different brackets

Command: -b

-BLOCK

Enter block name or [?]: ?

Enter block(s) to list :

Defined blocks.

Try Lee tool:

http://www.lee-mac.com/blockcounter.html

(I am not on commision)

Haha! Thanks Marek :thumbsup:

I really must be in the dark on this. I need a way to list all the blocks that are related to this drawing. The model space is empty...nothing is drawn in it at the moment.

As you've probably guessed by now, BCount, DataExtraction and my program will count Block References (i.e. those that are inserted in the drawing), not Block Definitions.

To see what Definitions exist in a drawing, Elson has provided a method using the -Block command.

Here is another quickly written LISP snippet:

(defun c:listblocks ( / a )
   (while (setq a (tblnext "BLOCK" (null a)))
       (print (cdr (assoc 2 a)))
   )
   (princ)
)