Plotting 17 x 22 Titleblock on 22 x 34 paper problem

acad2012

Hey guys,

I'm having issues with plotting. I have my page setup as 17 x 22 (Landscape) and am designating the plot area to plot extents. I am trying to plot to 22 x 34 (size "D" portrait). The current paper loaded is 22" in a HP Designjet T770. When I do a plot preview, the drawing looks correct. However, when it plots it trims off the top part of the drawing. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this. The drawing is orientated correctly when it comes out of the plotter so I know it's not a portrait/landscape issue.

I just tried plotting a 30 x 42 titleblock to the same size paper "D" portrait, and get the same problem. This happens if I use extents and window.

Any ideas?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• acad2012

• rkent

• CyberAngel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The drawing is orientated correctly when it comes out of the plotter so I know it's not a portrait/landscape issue.

That is not always the case with HP plotters. Have you tried using the other orientation or specifying the rotated paper size (i.e. 34x22 instead of 22x34)?

My experience with HP printer/plotters is that they have a default margin and/or offset. Check to make sure you have told the printer it is okay to full-bleed or print to edge or shrink the margins.

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers.

Another way to check is to print to .pdf then plot to the HP from Adobe. Just to check to see if it is a driver/ACAD coordination issue.

Like Bill if using cut sheets the plotter must "hang on" to the sheet so the last edge always has a larger margin the leading edge may be say 15mm the last may be 40mm in a laser its like 5mm all edges. Your plotter book/net will have the "hard clip margins" listed somewhere your plot must fit within this area.

We run a DesignJet 500+ using a 24" wide roll of paper. It could print that drawing exactly where it needs to fall on the very first try.

Are you plotting from model space or from a paper space layout?

Take a screen grab of your plot dialog box and post the image here so we can see it. Thanks.

I plotted to Adobe and from there plotted without any issues. But doesn't plot properly in ACAD. I get the same issue if I try to do Window. Here is a screen shot of my plot:

Untitled.png

I would uncheck "Fit to paper" and make my scale 1:1 since the sheet size you are plotting is smaller than the paper size you are using.

Post a copy of the drawing. I'm plotting right now. I'd like to try a test plot of your drawing.

Update.

Made my own 17x22 and plotted it to an Arch D size sheet (24x36) using the parameters previously mentioned. Plotted dead center just as i thought it would. This was from model space. I'll text it next using a paper space layout.

Edited by ReMark

Had to remove the titleblock and replace it but it's the same size and same layout. I'm trying to print to 22 x 34, not 24 x 36. Our "d" is set up as 22 x 34, there is another option for "arch d" which is what you are using.

Drawing1.dwg

I can only test it with the paper size I have. Anyways, what does it matter as long at the paper I am printing on is larger than the physical size of the drawing.

Proceed or don't proceed? Your choice.

Why are you plotting to "Extents" as shown in your previously posted image if you are plotting from a paper space layout? Shouldn't that read "Layout" instead?

Update.

Plot done using "Layout" and not "Extents" results in a perfect plot although it will not be centered on the sheet. The distance from the lower left hand corner of the sheet to the lower left hand corner of the border is 1.5 on the X axis and 0.5 on the Y axis.

Works for me. How about you?

Edited by ReMark

When I print the 17 x 22 layout, it prints that size layout on a bigger piece of paper (22 x 34) giving it about eight inches of blank space at the top and to the right of the titleblock. Its our standard to use extents to fit our titleblock and fit to page. I want the 17 x 22 to be fit to a 22 x 34 page, so the layout will be bigger than if I plotted it to 17 x 22. Does that make sense?

What are you referring to when you say "text it"?

That should have been "test it". Too much coffee intake.

Sorry, plotting from a layout using Extents and Fit to page does not make sense to me. But if that's the way you guys do it then who am I to argue. By all means carry on and best of luck to you.

Well I tried it your way and got the same results. So I got to thinking about a way to cover as much of the 22x34 sheet with your drawing and came up with this approach. Draw another box around your border and leave about 1/4" space between the two. Looks like this. Note: this box (magenta colored) will be used for making your picks for the "Window" option in the plot dialog box.

17x22layout.jpg

Then use the following plot parameters.

17x22plotdialog.PNG

I tested it and it works.

If you don't like this method then you will have to come up with one on your own.

Best I can do at the moment.

It should go without saying that the plotter name will of course be different and maybe even the paper size where I have "Arch D".

On some plotters you have to go into the pc3 file and tell it the width of the roll of paper being used, perhaps you are telling it you have 24" in properties when you actually have 22".

I'm not very familiar with PC3 files, although I know that there is no PC3 file for the plotter, only for some other ones that my coworkers must have set up. When I select the plotter in the plot dialog box, I can go in and check the properties that are set up for the plotter.

Untitled.jpg

I'm not very familiar with PC3 files, although I know that there is no PC3 file for the plotter, only for some other ones that my coworkers must have set up. When I select the plotter in the plot dialog box, I can go in and check the properties that are set up for the plotter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33550[/ATTACH]

Sorry, it is in the printer properties itself, go to windows, start, devices and printers, right click over your plotter name, check device settings tab for width of paper loaded. I have a 770HP and that is where I find it here.

ANSI D is not an option for some reason. However there is an Oversize D which is also 22 x 34 and the same thing happens.

The printer says the paper loaded is 22" (in the properties).

I have demonstrated a method by which you can generate a plot that will nearly fill the sheet size you are working with (22x34) what more can I do? If it works with my HP plotter then you should be able to get it to work with yours. I have already mentioned I don't agree with the method you are using for plotting a drawing from a paper space layout by way of "Extents" however that is what you are determined to use. Sorry, but I cannot come up with another method to obtain the desired results. Perhaps someone much smarter than me will be able to do so. I hope you succeed in your endeavors. Best of luck.

I am trying to plot out multiple drawings at the same size. Some are on 17 x 22 title blocks and some on 22 x 34. Rather than changing each drawing's titleblock which would take hours to do, I have been trying to plot to a bigger piece of paper and keeping the original size intact.