input format

MikeM

Can autocad use data input from a spreadsheet. I'm trying to find a program to plot points and lines, and measure the various distances and angles,for use in gait analysis. I've recently developed a method to study walking, and making plots would be much easier with a program. But, the data is presented in a spreadsheet, and I'm trying to find a way to go straight to plotting without having to manually enter all the points. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes it can. This ability was improved in the 2008 version to allow two way communication between AutoCAD and Excel. It's also going to take a bit of programming too I believe. Try searching for a Lisp or DBA routine. Are you going to try to do this using plain old vanilla AutoCAD or another piece of AutoDesk software?

Thanks ReMark, I don't have any program yet, because I have to make sure it can do what I need. The programming isn't a problem. This is a significant cash outlay, and since I'm an individual, it comes out of my pocket. From what I've seen so far, AutoCAD may be useful. But, I have to check it out more to be sure. If you would be interested in discussing this further, any help is greatly appreciated.

It is possible to download a 30 day trial version from the autodesk website. Then you can see for yourself if it suits your needs or not. This may help you in deciding whether to make the purchase or not. Or maybe post a sample of the data that you have and maybe some of the forum members can see if their version of cad suits your requirements.