ACAD Lag w/ new server

mshearer

We recently made a change with our IT consultant and are now utilizing an off-site server for all file storage. Beginning with the switch to the offsite server, we've been experiencing extended lag times when performing functions such as plot preview, save, open, close and others.

Being a smaller department within the company, we don't wield a big enough hammer to bring back the on-site servers. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any steps we can take to reduce the lag? Being a simple cad monkey, I don't have all the answers on the type and quantity of servers but can get the IT guys involved if need be.

I understand this is a broad request, but we're spending twice as long to get half as much done since this change and any help is more than appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Working locally does speed things up, I'm just hesitant to implement a system in which everyone copies files to their desktop, relinks xref's and then copies them back to the server.

We also have multiple people accessing the same files throughout the day, which seems to make working locally impractical for an entire office.

We're not using Vault, the file paths have been set up consistently for the past few years prior to the new off site servers.

I guess what I'm looking for are some items to bring to my IT departments attention as possible road blocks they might not be aware of. I'll ask them about both the vault and the file paths and see if it gets us anywhere. Thanks.

Welcome to my world, make sure your temp paths are set local only pull down from the network dwgs & xrefs maybe even save on pc all support stuff anything to reduce the network link.

If you have a LAN, could you set up a local file server? It wouldn't be a full-blown server, just a place to keep local copies of the files you're working on during the day. You'd save them back to the main server at the end of the day, so all the time wasting would happen overnight.