Revit MEP Performance

OTRT

My office is thinking of switching to Revit MEP, but I do like the idea of the suite, so we're not just thrown into the grinder and expected to produce drawings (HVAC & plumbing mostly) as quickly as we are with AutoCAD MEP. How does Revit perform when doing cleanup of backgrounds, or is that not an issue with Revit? Sorry, but I'm getting a late start with the BIM thing and need to know.

Thanks guys. I've learned more on this site in two days than I have anywhere else! For example, I was really getting into a heated debate / arguement between StykFacE & Tom Schrader about Revit MEP when cadtutor pulled the plug on the thread! I was getting something out of the exchange from the two points of view. I completely disagree with the moderator's assesment that the thread had become 'unproductive'. Just yesterday I was watching a movie recorded on my dvr and it inexplicably ended 30 minutes before the end of the movie. AAArrrghhh! Same feeling here. ;) Thanks again!

I was gonna input (constructively) on that thread, but not gonna argue with mod's decisions.

We're happy to help with any questions you have.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "backgrounds"? Do you mean importing DWG files as a 2D architectural background file, or Linking in the Revit Architecture file to build the MEP model from? Can you be a bit more specific? Thanks. :)

Ah, I was expecting this response. This is where you'll have a hard time with Revit.

You can't just "draw" in Revit. In fact, there are some components that are completely dependent on things like ceilings, floors, walls, roofs, etc. In other words, you would have to rebuild some components of the 2D architectural DWG file for things to work properly in Revit. Revit MEP should only be used if there's an architectural model that exists, or you create your own.

Remember, I'm not saying you can't import a DWG file because you most certainly can, and you can "run with it" in Revit MEP and start the basic foundation of things you need to represent in a drawing. I'm just saying it's not the way to go at all.

I appreciate the info. I was hoping to find someone who understands Revit and gets it. The management just thinks I can switch to Revit and do the same thing, but faster and in pretty 3D. I've been searching the internets for reviews and people seem to either love it or hate it. Do you think most people who hate it are just using the wrong tool for the job? I see myself in that category if I'm forced to switch. I've been looking into the stuff from TSI which looks interesting. I attended a conference in Vegas a few months ago where TSI gave an impressive presentation. TSI...makes me think of TPS reports...did you get the memo about the new cover sheet? :lol:

..., I was really getting into a heated debate / arguement between StykFacE & Tom Schrader about Revit MEP ...

That came out wrong. I meant that I was enjoying reading the heated debate. :roll:

TSI is a super aggressive sales team for MAP software, which now is owned by Autodesk if I'm not mistaken. Unless you are truly utilizing CAD software to do true design-to-fabrication, CAD-Mep is a complete waste of money in my opinion. Most people just use it because of all the "3D Content". Granted, there are things CAD-Mep does that I wish Autodesk would integrate into AutoCAD MEP and Revit MEP, but geez, CAD-Mep (or CAD-Duct/CAD-Pipe) is just ridiculously expensive for "3D".

And Revit is not AutoCAD. It's not AutoCAD X 2, It's not AutoCAD on steroids, it's not AutoCAD "the next generation". That must be clearly grasped for anyone to understand. Revit, is Revit. It is a building and engineering application that is parametric based, that has the means of creating 2D Views of the represented model to have the look and feel of "Plans". At my company, if you even dare create a Family from importing a 3D DWG file, or import a DWG file for use of a background, you'll be getting a call from the CAD supervisor. We won't even consider buying content anymore because we just found a lot of companies simply import 3D DWG files. Aka: JUNK.

The reason I go on in the way I am is because I want you to be fully aware of what you're getting into. Like I said before, if you get the Revit MEP Suite, you get the best of both worlds and this allows you to transition easier into Revit.

I learned Revit Architecture before Revit MEP (worked for an Architect, now an HVAC manufacturing company). Styk is right in that MEP doesn't do you a whole lot of good without an Architectural model. I don't really think about it, as I just build my own Arch model in about an hour.

I've also been using Revit everyday for the past 4 years. Your time spent on a given model will be a LOT slower for a while.

If you use all disciplines, I highly recommend the Building Design Suite Premium. You get AutoCAD (Vanilla, Arch, MEP, Struct, Struct Detailing), Revit (Arch, MEP, Struct), 3ds, Showcase and Sketchbook (Impression is also free download) for like $250/yr more per seat than the traditional Revit MEP Suite (AutoCAD MEP, Revit MEP).

Read a lot of tutorials (FOR YOUR YEAR VERSION). DO a lot of tutorials. If management thinks it should be faster out the gate, invite them to sit down with you. Maybe block out some time in the conference room for some group tutorials so they can see just how difficult it can be for a new user; bring them into the experience.