Please help me with my final year project

livra_depp

Hi guys,

I'm really anxious and lost in this field, however, finding this forum is so amazing. The deadline is coming :(, my major is environmental so I'm a noob in using AutoCAD or AutoDesk civil

A brief information about my project ( or my nightmare )

- About safety when driving in highway ( transportation )

- The prof gave me several pdf files, which are the top views and the cross sections, so I can see different layers with different thickness. The pavements contain lots of sign boards, trees, lights ...

Requirements:( temporary )

1/ Form 3D scenery of the highway.

2/ Render: the driver will input ( = key in? ) a certain speed, then the program will run the 3D animation as if he were driving on the road. Different speed values will give different rendering time, so the driver can estimate how dangerous it is when driving so fast.

My questions ( I read books and still have no idea where to start )

1/ I choose Autodesk Civil 3D 2008, is it the suitable software for my project? another friend suggests Autodesk for Architecture, I read and get confused :(

2/ What is the main steps to build 3D scenery from all 2D views? I use 1 software to convert all pdf files into dwg files. How to combine the cross section into the rest?

3/ About rendering, how can we adjust the time? or can we directly adjust the speed of rendering? to make it like a textbox for users to key in speed of car, I must learn VBA in Autodesk civil ? Since I only need a simple program, can you tell me which part I should learn in VBA?

I'm desperate, this interim presentation will be 5 days later :cry:

Please help me, I just want to know which functions to use, which part I should learn. I'm lost, and time is not enough for me to learn everything ( sorry for the last minutes rush, before that I thought I could do it well on my own:( )

I appreciate any response, please:)

Thanks a million times,

Livra

I think Civil 3D would be better than an architectural program for constructing your roadway.

Some 3D features, such as trees, can be found at the CAD Block Exchange Network. I don't know about signage or other items one might see while traveling along a highway (deer, guard rails, light poles, catch basins, etc.?).

I think you mean an animation not a rendering. An animation implies motion; a rendering doesn't necessarily imply motion.

Time of day, angle of sun would be dependent upon the location selected. Is this going to be in New England, in late autumn at 11 a.m. or in Germany, early spring, about 3 p.m.?

Has any of this been covered in class? Such as: how to create a 3D object, or how to render an image, or how to animate an object, etc?

I can't speak to programming with VBA as it isn't something I use. Sorry.

I think Civil 3D would be better than an architectural program for constructing your roadway.

Some 3D features, such as trees, can be found at the CAD Block Exchange Network. I don't know about signage or other items one might see while traveling along a highway (deer, guard rails, light poles, catch basins, etc.?).

I think you mean an animation not a rendering. An animation implies motion; a rendering doesn't necessarily imply motion.

Time of day, angle of sun would be dependent upon the location selected. Is this going to be in New England, in late autumn at 11 a.m. or in Germany, early spring, about 3 p.m.?

Has any of this been covered in class? Such as: how to create a 3D object, or how to render an image, or how to animate an object, etc?

I can't speak to programming with VBA as it isn't something I use. Sorry.

Hi, thkx for ur reply.

It's my Final Year Project, and the expressway scenery is in Singapore.

I have to do everything to impress my prof - the ONLY one to decide my destiny :cry: and CANNOT ask him for help or any advice (regulations)

Anyone of you please tell me, which program to use :cry:

I only learnt the very basic AutoCAD 2 years ago, 2D simple drawing. My major is Environmental all about wastewater ,garbage treatment ...

About time of day, angle of sun, I will modify it later after the presentation. The main work is as my 1st post.

Is it 3D animation like Autodesk 3D max?

Livra

Forgive me as im a real thicky here but I find it hard to believe that anyone would be expected to do a project like this with out any idea of how to it or how to use software that they have never used before, good luck is all i can say, its a bit like someone saying well i taught you french for the last 5 years and then giving you a test in german, is this really how they find out how good you are ? and i mean this in a nice way btw im just intrested in finding out the logic in this please ?

Forgive me as im a real thicky here but I find it hard to believe that anyone would be expected to do a project like this with out any idea of how to it or how to use software that they have never used before, good luck is all i can say, its a bit like someone saying well i taught you french for the last 5 years and then giving you a test in german, is this really how they find out how good you are ? and i mean this in a nice way btw im just intrested in finding out the logic in this please ?

Hi,

According to my uni, The FYP's objective is to put an engineer into practical working zone. When you graduate and work, usually 1st will be the training. Some of my friends even starts to learn lot of new things from the zero state if they want to stay with their companies. Can they ask their bosses your nice question? Or they spend time learning and asking for help if get stuck ? Once again, any work always comes with time constraint as a way to test "how good you are"

I only need the correct orientation, what to focus due to time constraint, never ask for the whole solution or any workdone by others.

For my ignorance in AutoCAD, I just learnt the simple 2D drawings as manual drawing cross sections of an object. The uni. in Asia always have the long lists of modules to complete, as they want us to know everything, while Western uni are quite different. No offense at all. I just want to confirm that I used AutoCAD before.

Should stop here as I try my best to satisfy your " interest in finding out the logic in this please ? ". Really sad.

Liv

It sounds a lot like "sink or swim". Either you do it and pass or you don't and fail. Tough enough.

Start with what you know. Can you recreate the roadway given the information you have? Can you do it in Civil 3D?

Besides signage, what else do you want to incorporate as part of your highway scenery?

i kind of thought the same, but I think this is a def "sink or swim" project (seconding the "sink or swim" theme).

i would start with what you know best, try to create 3D from the 2D drawings provided, there should be enough information on the 2D drawings to help assist in the 3D process.

it seems like an awful lot to be asking of you, but I commend your spirit to tackling this head on...

best of luck!