uploading models with textures.

mutualmark

Hello,

I am very new to this. I uploaded a model that has a 3ds max file for the car and a seperate folder for the maps. How do I load and apply the maps folder to the vehicle. Is there a way without loading every texture?

You uploaded a model? I think you mean you downloaded a model.

If you put the car model, and the maps folder, in the same folder and then open the car model file, Max should see the maps and load them. If not, put the car model in the same folder with the maps and then open the car model file.

Where did you get this model? There shouldn't be any dll files unless parts of the model were created with a 3rd party application.

You should be able to bypass the "Missing dll files" box and open the file by clicking "Continue" or whatever option is available at the bottom of the box.

Without knowing where you got the model, or opening it myself on my computer, there's not much more I can do to help. Have you tried contacting the person who created the model, or the site where you got the model?

There is no contact on the site. I have attempted to open models from several sites and it is the same. Is there a standard procedure for importing models with textures. It doesn't seem to work anyway I try it.

If it's a file with a ".max" extension then you don't have to do any importing. Just open it. Does the car file have a ".max" extension or is it something different like ".obj" or ".3ds" or something else?

They have .max extensions, but do not import the dlls or textures. I can open one with a .obj extension, but it doesn't show in the render.

Well, as I said before, without knowing where you got the model, or opening it myself on my computer, there's not much more I can do to help. The missing dll's tell me there was some 3rd party app that was used in the creation of the model. So unless you load that app on your computer, you won't be able to do much with the model.

Thank you so much for your help. I think I am starting, at least to figure some things out. Thanks for your quick and great answers.

A thought just occurred to me. What dll's are missing? Are they Vray dll's? If so, that means that Vray was set as the default renderer when the model was created and Vray materials were applied to the model. If that is the case, you will need to reset your renderer back to Mental Ray and then reapply the materials.