Teaching Material

vorxaw

Hi everyone,

I'm sure if you have taken drafting courses you have seen these exercises, worksheets. I'm trying to show a friend how to use AutoCAD(2d), the basics, and am looking for some homework so to speak. For example the ones where they give you a simple or intermediate 3d object and you have to draw the 3 orthographic views or even ones where they give you the views and you simply copy it to brush up on your drawing skills.

I've done some searching on google but havent found any such exercises. If there are ones out there, feel free to post it here.

Thanks for the help:)

v

Pay a visit to your local library and pick up one of these two books:

Basic Technical Drawing by Spencer

or

Engineering Drawing by French

They contain enough drawings to satisfy most anyone.

• 8 years later...

An old topic, I know, but actual for me.

I started to teach AutoCAD 2D. I made a lot of exercises, but it takes much time to make them.

Therefor, is here somebody (or more) who want's to share some exercises with the community?

If there is interest, I will do the same.

What kinds of exercises did you have in mind?

BTW...the link in post #4 no longer appears to be functioning.

Another good book for finding objects to draw would be Technical Graphics Communication by Bertoline and Wiebe. These will mostly be of the mechanical nature.

• 2 weeks later...

As nice and simple as those exercises are they fast become pretty boring.

Give each student a small (1 meter long) tape measure marked off in millimeters then tell them for their next class to bring a small object from home. Their class assignment will be to measure the object and draw the top, front and one side view. You can walk around the class and watch how the students tackle the problem and assist any that have questions. From time to time when a particular question of some importance arises you can ask the entire class to stop what they are doing and go into a detailed explanation. Once done the students can return to their assignment. I think the students will find this type of exercise to be far more interesting and challenging. The "basic" draw and modify commands can be covered in a single day so after that students should be getting right to work drawing and dimensioning objects.

I agree with Remark as soon as I read the post, for architectural samples get them to draw their own house just line diagrams etc or draw the room they are in. Desks lights etc. start with primitives rectangs etc a simple check on accuracy will reveal those who have thought about it. The image is done just using simple lines with thickness.

3dhouse.jpg