which the highest post in this drafting or deigner career??

mkv123

dear friends,

i have been in this drafting field for nearly 8 years, but i am not satisfied with this

i think what ever designer or draftsman gives he is limited below an engineer level

whether he is a checker or more than that.

i want to know what is the highest position to reach in this drafting field. y i am asking is so that i can change my field or to continue my field..

pl. clarify

I agree with Daniel! owning your own design firm is indeed the highest career i could think too but it would mean a lot of money for a start :-) have you tried other CAD related works which i believe most engineers do not know like 3D modeling, rendering and then animation? Don't be brought with "level/position" if thats what you are after of. Im not saying all but "most" engineers are only good in numbers and theories.:-) but if you are after of the income, then investing your own design firm will take you the "level" you are looking for.

mkv123,

I agree with the other comments. I worked as a draftsman/designer for 13 years. I had the opportunity to become a partner in a design firm, then i went on to start my own business (got tired of baby sitting), and for the past 12 years I have been blessed to work with many engineers and construction companies. It is great working for myself and the money is much better! It is great being the KING! Along with that, you get lot more stress and taxes. The question you have to ask yourself is: are you willing to take the chance?

mkv123,

I agree with the other comments. I worked as a draftsman/designer for 13 years. I had the opportunity to become a partner in a design firm, then i went on to start my own business (got tired of baby sitting), and for the past 12 years I have been blessed to work with many engineers and construction companies. It is great working for myself and the money is much better! It is great being the KING! Along with that, you get lot more stress and taxes. The question you have to ask yourself is: are you willing to take the chance?

Agree but to me the better position is the "retired drafter" : )

• 3 weeks later...

work as a freelance draftsman or own your own firm, however most firms are extremely small these days anyways.

Honestly, as high as you can shoot! Current position is an Assistant Director in a University Facilities department. You will have to put in the time and might have to job shop to make a next step on the ladder. So far over 16 years out of college myself. Don't give up or sell yourself short.