Ty520

Unclickable text objects?

Ty520

I recently began working for a landscape architect who doesn't know very much about using AutoCAD, and hired someone to create his page templates, line standards, etc.

Recently, we have encountered a new problem with page templates in which there are a couple unclickable text blocks within the title block template - it is as if these items don't really exist.

Info I am aware of:

Each item within the template is on the same layer, but only a couple items behave this way.

The template is not comprised of dynamic blocks - just text

MSasu

Is this behaviour happens in Model or a Layout tab?

halfcracked

are you sure those are text entities? could they be locked attributes in a block?

RobDraw

Is layer "0" on and thawed?

Ty520

the template is in paper space. All layers are on and thawed. Can't check the properties of the text black because it cannot be manipulated in any way.

MSasu

Please switch to Model Space tab and check if those trouble-maker text entities aren't in fact located there.

CyberAngel

Is it possible that the text is a company letterhead, an image that's been xrefed into the drawing? If TFrames is off, that would explain why you can't select it.

Ty520

the object is not an image, and it is not in model space

ReMark

How about you attach a copy of the DWG file here so we can take a look at it ourselves?

Ty520

I'll attach a copy if I get permission

Dadgad

How do you know it is not an image, without knowing what it is? An image doesn't necessarily mean a photograph or drawing, an image can be text based too. I am thinking that CyberAngel may be on the right track here. Try setting your FRAMESELECTION variable to '1' at the commandline. If that doesn't do it, then try setting your PREVIEWFILTER variable to '0' at the commandline.

selection preview.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

ReMark

So, where is that drawing file? An "image" doesn't do us any good as far as troubleshooting the problem goes. A drawing file is what we need. If the file is too big then either zip it or cull out all unnecessary content and do a "saveas" to a new file name then attach that drawing instead.

Ty520

so after getting back to work today, I began messing around with the file. Using "Control + A" did select the text blocks, verifying that they were being read as an entity by AutoCAD. At that point, it would allow me to click on a handle and manipulate it - after I've clicked on the block after selecting it via "control +A" I can continue to manipulate it like any text block without issue.

Ty520

EDIT: After experimenting with the template, I have realized that the text block will become unselectable once again if I go to another layout tab and return to the layout where the issue is occuring - the text block occurs on all of the other layout tabs without issue.

If I receive permission from my employer to attach the template later, I will add an update

so after getting back to work today, I began messing around with the file. Using "Control + A" did select the text blocks, verifying that they were being read as an entity by AutoCAD. At that point, it would allow me to click on a handle and manipulate it - after I've clicked on the block after selecting it via "control +A" I can continue to manipulate it like any text block without issue.

Ty520

PREVIEWFILTER and FRAMESELECTION do not appear to be valid in AutoCAD 2005

Dadgad

Your profile indicates that you are using 2009? What file format is this drawing?

Ty520

I use 2009 - my employer is on 2005

ReMark

I've grown a beard waiting for you to post the file. Please attach a drawing before the beard reaches the floor. Thanks.