Dual Monitors?

Wilbri

Im am interested to learn what advantage there is in using a dual monitor setup for AutoCad aplication.

Look forward to receiving your reply.

I can't believe that someone hasn't responded to this question. Come on guys, I know some of you utilize a dual monitor setup. Let's see if we can help Wilbri OK?

Me too, I saw this a few days ago, and figured there were plenty of dual monitor users who would want to sing their praises. I've never used a dual monitor set up, but I am happiest working on my larger laptop (20") than my smaller one. In my opinion you can never have too much screen real estate. Keep Navis running on your second monitor for easy referencing of your 3D model. Spend less time zooming and panning and more time creating. Keep your excel spreadsheet open and visible instead of hiding behind your drawing. Monitor all your other programs and online activities without interrupting your work desktop. In short, spread out a bit, and enjoy the room. What's not to like?

Sorry, I was out on the road roaming the highways with 44,000 pounds of dog food behind me.

Dual monitors are great. When I was doing curtain wall and such, I'd get pdfs or dwg files from the architect. I could then have those drawings on one monitor while working on cad on the other. No need to print the architect's stuff...saves paper and cost. When working on original work, I would have cad open on one and all my tool pallets and what have you on the other monitor, plus my email client, and if the weather was bad or whatever, I could monitor local news or weather info in a window as well. There are lots of ways to use them.

CAD program running on one monitor.

CAD Tutor, or Excel or Word or .... on second monitor.

and on third monitor (I'm always running at least a couple of CPUs)

You will never look back once you get dual monitors but in saying that with new screens 26+" etc one monitor is maybe making a come back. Dual 26's wow!

Current set up at work is a 28" Samsung main window and a 24" Samsung as my 2nd screen. Still running a single at home but I am not on it 8 hours a day so no real need there.

At work I use dual 21" DELL monitors and I can't believe I used to work on a single 17". Like others have said, I really try to take advantage of the "real estate" and "spread out" a little. I'm intrigued by the single monitor that is 26" or 28" but for what I do, my current setup works great.

At work I use dual 21" DELL monitors and I can't believe I used to work on a single 17". Like others have said, I really try to take advantage of the "real estate" and "spread out" a little. I'm intrigued by the single monitor that is 26" or 28" but for what I do, my current setup works great.

When I started in cad, a 15" monitor was a big deal. We all thought we'd died and gone to heaven when the first 21" monitors showed up. The company bought 5 Viewsonic 21's at almost $2100 each. They were huge, weighing upwards of 80 pounds and taking up half the desk but that was ok! It was so much easier on the eyes.

Shoot...the screen on this laptop is bigger than the first CRT I worked on!

I have used dual in the past. As per JD's post, biggest advantage is being able to display Word, Excel, Outlook Documents or CADTutor solution ...etc and so forth, on one screen and working in CAD on the other.

I use a single monitor now and just print the documents or switch windows.

I have used dual in the past. As per JD's post, biggest advantage is being able to display Word, Excel, Outlook Documents or CADTutor solution ...etc and so forth, on one screen and working in CAD on the other.

I use a single monitor now and just print the documents or switch windows.

One of mine died so I thought I'd just go back to a single for a while....just about drove me to drinkin...did that for about a week and that was enough. Second monitor was replaced. It annoys me when I'm out on the road with this laptop to only have one monitor and I don't even use it all that much.

I think Jack's post #4 is the best example where you have reference material up on one monitor while working with ACAD in the other. From reading recent study's it sounds like one large monitor is better than two,and it makes sense to me having worked with two 24" for a while.

If you read other study's they also find that the distraction of two monitors can also hurt productivity. The reasoning is if you have your email up on one screen (as an example) and ACAD on the other you will be tempted to stop and read your email as those come in. So anything on the other screen becomes a distraction and makes it harder to focus and stay on task.

I like two monitors and would hate to go back to one unless it was one very large one, 27" or larger.

My previous two monitors were 21" and were made so you could rotate them 90 degrees, so the one where I was working on Word I had in portrait mode and the ACAD one was in landscape. That worked real well for that scenario. When I needed a spread sheet (or MS Project file), etc, up on screen I could rotate back to landscape and change it quickly in the software to display properly. Surfing on the internet works better in portrait mode as well, at least for me.

I didnt even realize you could do CAD on 1 Monitor. i'm a minimum of Two monitors at all times, i have three while at work cuz i use my laptop as one. i cant even imagine doing it on one moniter anymore. i always have the main drawing area on one, then my tool palettes, quick prop, layer and xref managers up on the second. i usually use the third for windows explorer and such (much like JD Mathers). when i'm really going to town, my project manager box is on the third screen along with Navis for quick coordination on the MEP side, or client documents for the 2d stuff. so all sarcasm aside, i thoroughly recommend the second monitor. you can NEVER have to much Drawing real state when it comes to cad

i cant even imagine doing it on one moniter anymore

oh yes, more monitors = better workflow..

you just need to get accustomed to the new setup..

all major graphics manufacturers offer a control panel to setup your monitors to display the way you want them..

windows offers the basic.. Duplicate, external only, extend.. etc.

but yes.. the main reason to get more monitors is to optimize workflow..

no more switching and sending windows front to back, everything you need to do is on it's own monitor depending on how many you have....

• 3 weeks later...

I think everything has already been said about it by now, but I would say:

Advantage: you work more digitally, you don't have to print a pdf :ouch:with important information for your work, but just put it in the second screen:).

Disadvantage: two screens distract your focus. Youtube on the second screen is great fun:D, but when you don't finnish your work before noon, it isn't that funny anymore!:cry: