Align an object

JillAW

I'm working with AutoDesk Inventor 2011.

How do I align an object with the origin axes?

That is, let's say I bring a part into an assembly file, and I want to align it with the axes (x,y,z) of the assembly file (maybe I want to make one edge of the part parallel with the 'x' axis). What's the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Welcome tot eh forum, In an assembly you use assembly constraints to align parts, press "c" in an assembly to bring up the options, you will need to use the help tutorials to read up on that constraint to use to do what you want. The one you are looking for will be the most common, a MATE constraint.

I changed the title of this thread as you had a heading 'Question' I changed it to something lets say more forum friendly for others to find using the search:)

Thanks for the advice, Lazer.

And thanks for editing the "Subject" header (when I tried to edit the thread, I could not seem to change this field).

Re: aligning a part to an axis (x, y, or z):

I ended up doing this as you suggested-- creating a work plane in the assembly (this plane was aligned with an axis) and then mating the part to this plane. But there is no way to re-orient a part so that it is in alignment with an axis through some other command?

Have you used "Grip Snap" much? I tried the the "Grip Snap" command to try and rotate the part (to align with the axis); this seems to accomplish what I want as well, though I am not too clear on how to command a rotation using "reference points".

...I ended up doing this as you suggested-- creating a work plane in the assembly

Have you used "Grip Snap" much?

You do not need to create the work planes - they already exist.

Do not use Grip Snap - use Assembly Constraints - just like the real world.

I recommed you go through the Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials and Skillbuilders.

Search Google on Rob Cohee Inventor YouTube.

Inventor is a professional program and deserves (demands?) a professional level of preparation - it would probably be a good idea to sign up for a class in addition to doing these on-line tutorials as an instructor can show you tips and tricks that are difficult to pick up on your own.

Also search for classes here http://au.autodesk.com

My company offers training courses on DVD or direct download from our website. You can check out our videos on YouTube. Most of our videos cover Inventor 2012 and 2013, but we have over 40 hours of training that covers Inventor 2011. I think with the issues you are having, it would be quite beneficial.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TEDCFPublishing?feature=mhee

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much, JohnK.

My company offers training courses on DVD or direct download from our website. You can check out our videos on YouTube. Most of our videos cover Inventor 2012 and 2013, but we have over 40 hours of training that covers Inventor 2011. I think with the issues you are having, it would be quite beneficial.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TEDCFPublishing?feature=mhee