Creating BOP Label

Epicurwin

So I finally got my BOP label from scratch to work just like I wanted. Two minutes later after celebrating, I click on the annotative tab on the tool palette and find the Perfectly fine pre-made BOP. GGGRRRRR Why wouldn't I find that in the labels in style manager. grrrrr

I thought I posted this already, but I can't find it anywhere in the forums or in my profiles posts, so if it is somewhere sorry for the repost.

I need this to work in autocad MEP 2010-12, I don't know if there is something different than needs to be done in the versions.

I was suprised that there isn't a bottom of pipe label in the mep labels. I tried creating one and some strange things happened. I went into the style manager and created a new label under the Label Curve Style. I set the option to "Use Property Set" and set the pull downs to "PipeObject" and "BottomOfPipe." I tried looking into the Property Data Formats and Property Set Definitions.

First, the label only works on a single pipe. It doesn't work on any other pipes, not even pipes that are created from the working pipe. On every other pipe the labels reads "N/A" instead of "BOP:X'-X"."

On the one pipe that does work, it rounds the pipe elevation to the nearest inch. I would like it to raound the the nearsest 1/8". I won't be using that accuracy but I'd like to have it to check pipe heights at least.

Edited by Epicurwin

I'm an idiot. Read first post.

I found this after searching for a while: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-MEP/Creating-Custom-Pipe-Elevation-tags/m-p/2778856/highlight/true#M27881

My question is why would I want non-annotative text to create the tag from?

I copied the post below.

Well, what you have asked for is quite easy actually. So here are the steps as I remember them from memory. I am not at my CAD machine right now so I can't verify.

1) Create a new drawing and save it in a good place or if you have a company standards location for tags, save it in that location.

2) Create the text for the tags as you did above but make sure that you use the text style that you want and that it is non-annotative and 1" tall. There is no need to differentiate between the tags that have a leader and don't have a leader. In other words, create one tag for both. You can duplicate it on your tool palette and turn the leader on for one and off for another. Besides, as far as I know, there is no mechanism for assigning leaders to tags. I am unsure about that though.

3) Go to your manage tab and open the style manager and exapnd Property Data Formats and select PipeObject

4) On the right panel you will see all of the property data associated with pipe out of the box. If you look at the six properties associated with pipe elevations: (BottomofPipe, bottomofPipeCalc, TopOfPipe, TopOfPipeCalc, CenterOfPipe, CenterOfPipeCalc) you will notice that these tags are labeled wrong. The top and bottom properties are actually reading Top and Bottom of insulation. So....., rename BottomOfPipeCalc to BottomOfInsulationCalc, BottomOfPipe to BottomOfInsulation. Duplicate this for the top also. No need for center of pipe as insulation doesnt come into play with this one.

5) Once you have renamed those, you will need to recreate BottomOfPipe, BottomOfPipeCalc, TopOfPipe, and TopOfPipeCalc. This is done by clicking on the formula button on the far right. I believe it is the third button down. Follow the forumula for the properties for bottom and top of insulation but make sure you do not add or subtract the insulation values.

6) Once you have your new properties created, close out of the style manager making sure to hit OK and not cancel and then save your drawing.

7) Select the text for the first tag and click on the home ribbon tab, under the Annotation panel, click create tag or you can just type DEFINETAG

8) When the dialog box appears, name your tag and then under the type column change all lines to read Property.

9) In the Property Set column select PipeObject for each line of the tag

10) In the Property Definition select the TopOfPipe property definition.

11) Repeat for all lines in your tag choosing the appropriate definition. There is no need to worry about formatting the text, that was done in the style manager when you created the property definitions for topofpipe and bottomofpipe

12) Hit ok and choose the insertion point of the tag.

13) Once your tag is created click and drag it to a toolbar.

14) Right click on the tag on the toolbar and set your properties. Whether you want a leader or not, etc etc.

15) Repeat for all tags

Hope this helps and you are able to create the tags you are asking for. One thing to remember, the property defination TopOfPipeCalc calculates the elevation of the top of pipe, the property set TopOfPipe is where you how you want your tag to actually look so in your case your TopOfPipe property definition formula should like something like this.....

TOP - [PipeObject:TopofPipeCalc]

"TOP -" is the text that is being displayed in your tag and [PipeObject:TopOfPipeCalc] is the actual elevation.

GOOD LUCK!

AS for the rounding to the nearest inch, I've found this: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?100527-BOP-in-feet-inches-fractional

Edited by Epicurwin

• 1 month later...

That was my post on the forums. :). The reason that you want non annotative text is that autocad mep will automatically scale tags according to the annotative scale. This includes any geometry in the tag. If you use annotative text you will get unexpected results as it could possibly scale it twice. The other reason is because that's the way the user guide says to do it. :D