Help on a homework...

arashaga

Hi everyone

I am very new to AutoCAD and was trying hard to make this gasket model. I desperately need your help if you could send me the dwg and a little description on how to do it. I tried first by dfining the circles first but had a hard time on trimming it.

Thank you very much.

gasket.pdf

it is unlikely that you will get a drawing from us, it is after all your homework. Post what you have and people will be more willing to help. Have you worked out where the centre of the large radii should be?

I figured maybe .5" from the center of the radii of the smaller circles? but the main thing is creating the shape in the center, the corners specially. and also where exactly to put the top circles. Also I attached the drawing that I wanted to start with(sorry my ignorance)

Thank you Dave,

gasket.dwg

Looking at your .pdf you may want to draw the 4 circles first and use the ttr (tangent tangent radius) way of drawing circles to get the outside and inside curves. Hope this helps. But like dbroada said, post what you have and any problems you are having and people will be able to help you and you certainly will learn a thing or two from the seasoned drafters here.

The following information is more valuable to you than simply submitting you a drawing.

Find dimensions that you can use to make the base frame of the object. I used a rectangle with the dimensions of 3.50 and 1.75.

tutorial1.jpg

I drew the circles after finding their dimensions and locations.

tutorial2.jpg

Then find the center points of the larger circles and draw them in using the correct radius.

tutorial3.jpg

Trim up the circles, then draw a line from each top circle, to each bottom circle and offset each line .5 as shown here...

tutorial4.jpg

Now draw two circles (the green circles) with radius of 1.125, and another of .625 at the intersection of the two green circles. Repeat on the other side as well.

tutorial5.jpg

Now just erase the unneeded objects, trim up all the lines, and you are done!!....well, kinda....after this all you do is dimension it. Then you are done.

tutorial6.jpg

Sorry about that arashaga i think i was typing as you were posting. Ill wait for another post from you to see where your at before i give you some pointers on how to draw this thing.

Well it looks like he got someone to do his homework for him after all. Now maybe he can get someone to take out the garbage, wash and wax his car and maybe walk the dog. Any other volunteers?

Sorry, but I agree with Dave on this one. It is his homework. How do you expect to learn anything if someone else does the work for you?

I took night classes in 3D CAD (introductory), Mechanical CAD and Architectural CAD over three semesters. The classes met once a week for five hours. I did this after getting up at 3:45 a.m., driving 64 miles to work (one way), putting in a 9 hour day, driving 72 miles (from work to the community college) with no time to stop at to eat dinner and then getting home after 10 p.m. No one did MY homework for me!

I'm not opposed to giving advice and posting a single screen-shot or drawing to clear up some confusion but leave it at that.

It is the responsibility of the person taking the class to read all the pertinent material, ask questions, take the exams and do ALL the homework.

Who gets the credit and grade for this particular assignment?

not to step on your toes ReMark, but hes a beginner and has mentioned that he was trying hard without much luck.....I posted screen shots so he/anyone could use them as references and compare to their actual drawing....he still has to do all the cad work and figure out why I did what I did..

I post when I feel like I can help.....I am a member here because there are so many others that are willing to do the same for me...

my apologies

We must crawl before we walk. I think he tried to take the easy way out and you, with all good intentions, bailed him out. In the past we have been overrun at certain times of the year with these types of requests. We endeavor to put the onus on the student where it rightfully belongs.

If I came on too strong my annoyance was with him and not you. You do not owe me an apology.

As ReMark has said, at certain times of the year we get inundated with "will you do this for me" requests. I don't think any of us mind helping providing the asker contributes too. I don't know how far the OP got as I was at home and don't have AutoCAD there. We do object to people expecting us to do it for them.