changing the decimal divider(?), possible?

Tottofagrin

Hi everyone,

I work as a landscape architect in Sweden and use AutoCad most hours of the day. In sweden we use comma (,) as a decimal divider (is it called that in english?) and therefore comma it's the comma key that is placed at the numerical keypad. In AutoCad, that is, to say the least, a real pain in the frickin ass. As I draw in meters, i have to move my left little finger to the dot sign which is placed just above "Alt Gr" every time i have to enter numerial values. Do that a couple of hundres times each day and you start to get some weird stuff going on with your hand... :wink:

I've heard that it's not possible to change how AutoCad uses decimal dividers, is that true? Would be neat if you could use (,) instead of (.) and (;) instead of (,). That's the signs we use in Sweden, assigned by the king himself :P, no just kidding..

Is there some way to change something in Windows to get the dot instead of comma when i use the num pad?

Was thinking of getting a USB keypad from the states and maybe get it to work that way..

Any more ideas? Must be many more like me with the same problem...

/Kalle

I don't think its possible. In the UK we are now meant to use the comma as a decimal point (although not many people do). It is easy to set your dimension style to show a comma rather than a "full stop" but the problem comes when drawing. To define a point in AutoCAD you need two real numbers separated by a comma - 0.0,0.0

Can you use an alternate keyboard and driver? (Let's see if Tiger answers - she's from Sweden too)

To define a point in AutoCAD you need two real numbers separated by a comma - 0.0,0.0

Yes, that's where I wanted to use semicolon (;) instead of comma..

I guessed. The trouble there is the semi-colon is already used in scripting. Actually its used as a carriage return so it may be possible but I wouldn't know where to start.

Let me start by saying I feel your pain, it's a hassle type coordinates with a Swedish keyboard. I don't know any way you can change the way AutoCAD reads stuff, wonder if it's possible to change the key-bindings in Windows? But that could mess things up with other programs to no end...not to mention if someone borrows your computer :P

All I can say is that you get used to it...I always use two hands to type coordinates - one hand on the keypad and one hand on the dot.

Hmmm..:( I guess I just have to get used to it. If I come up with a genious solution I'll let you know.

Thanks for the help!

/kalle

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem. And the fix is actually quite simple. I downloaded a little program called keytweak. With this program you can reassign any key to whatever key you want.

Good luck with it.

Grtz David