Just got 3ds Max installed - what now?

tzframpton

Haha, like my title? 8)

I was browsing through our licensing file that I have access to and noticed a few licenses of 3ds Max that were unused so I had IT install 2011 yesterday, and apparently 2012 will be to us soon so I'll get that version replaced as soon as we have it.

It's been probably ten years since I last opened up 3ds Max. It still looks like I remember it for the most part. I'm mostly interested in using it for Rendering and maybe some fly-through animations. I don't think it'll natively import Revit models or even an IFC export (just checked all the import file types and none of those were listed).

Anybody have any recommendations of some tutorial sites for beginners, especially for rendering techniques? Just curious is all. I know there's a few 3ds Max guys on the board.

:)

Just browse through the topics in this section. I've probably already answered a lot of the questions you're likely to have, but if you want to learn about rendering, I would suggest getting this book: http://www.amazon.com/Rendering-mental-ray-3ds-Max/dp/0240808932/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1335459618&sr=8-14. I've learned most of what I know about rendering from that book.

As for tutorial sites: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?29434-***Free-Max-Tutorials***

Have fun 8)