.sv$ to .dwg file

mugshot

simple question. . .

i have a file. . . corrupted because of unexpected error. . . .bak file is 3 hrs behind after the error. . . i expect to retrieve it on the darwing recovery manager for the .sv$ file but its not there so i went for the temp file. . . but i cant rename it. . . from ·sv$ file to .dwg file. . .

what can i do because .sv$ file is more closer than .bak file. . .

help please . . .

thank you.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadgad

• mugshot

• Tiger

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is hard to believe that you would work for 3 hours without doing a preemptive save, safeguarding against just such an eventuality. :huh:

I autosave every 5 minutes because I hate when work gets lost and I need to redo it.

What happens when you try to rename it?

auto save settings.JPG

It happens, I will bet that everyone here (including Dadgad) have at one point or another not saved for 3 hours or more and then lost the data.

The most common reason that you can't seem to rename it is that you have the Known File-estensions hidden in your folder options. So what happens is that you are renaming the file from Drawing.sv$ to Drawing.dwg.sv$

Where you find "Show known File extensions" in your folder option differ depending on your operatins system.

If that is not the case, what is happening when you try to rename the file? Nothing? Or does it say that the file is in use? or something else?

Tiger, while I understand where you are coming from, you would lose that bet big time.

A very good guess as to why renaming is not working, I hope you are correct and that it works out. :beer:

If I have to backtrack as long as 10 minutes it would make me nuts.

I've lost plenty of lengthy emails in that way though, and that really gets my goat!

It is just so easy to avoid. :)

the .sv$ file will not become a drawing file by renaming it. you have to recover it within AutoCAD. ONLY the .bak can be renamed to dwg to obtain a drawing.

the .sv$ file will not become a drawing file by renaming it. you have to recover it within AutoCAD. ONLY the .bak can be renamed to dwg to obtain a drawing.

Oh. :oops:

Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks Dave :)

actually i did rename the. sv$ file extension to .dwg file. . i just wondered why i cant do it in my laptop. . but my cousins laptop. . . he almost kneeled to me when i did recovered his files. .

i dont know if there is an effect on how the program was installed or it needs to be an admin to rename it. . .

i do more rely on .sv$ file more than .bak file. . . because they came in only minutes behind the designated autosave interval, but sometimes its tricky to rename. sv$ file. . .

thanks Tiger, however it looks like I was wrong

im sorry to dissappoint you dave. . . but still i have this problem. . .

on my machine the .sv$ cannot be changed as it is locked by AutoCAD. It is then deleted on a normal exit from AutoCAD so is very rarely available to rename. If you have an .sv$ file I guess it could still think it is being locked by AutoCAD. How you break this lock is beyond me.

and for the record, I never use .bak files.

I am still wondering what happens when you try and rename the file?
I can't answer that as they never exist on my machine. They are deleted on normal exit and if my machine crashes (rarely these days) I use AutoCAD imediately to recover the file. Maybe I will unplug my machine today while still in AutoCAD and see what happens. There again, probably better not to.

I was asking Mugshot what happens on his machine. It seems my initial thought that the rename was just not happening is wrong, so I am curious as to why it would be that a rename would not go through. Could be as you say Dave, that AutoCAD is still locking the file.

I was pretty sure that I had done this before. Just checked. :)

In my Autosave folder I have about 5% SV$ files, and as long as the FOLDER OPTION in Windows is set to NOT hide the file type of known files, I am able to rename them as .dwg files. When I try to do it I get a popup screen warning about changing file types potentially making them inoperable, or something to that effect. I confirm that I want to change the file type, after which I can open them with Autocad.

I rarely have to do it, but it can be done, on my machines. :beer:

Usually in the DRAWING RECOVERY MANAGER you can open them without changing the file type.

I've recently been curious how the newer AutoCAD releases handle the .sv$ files on a crash and recovery. Is the .sv$ file identified by the name of the original file? In r14 it looks like it is simply named auto*.sv$ where * is a number. Also, if you have a crash with multiple files open how would you identify each one for renaming purposes?

I ask because I rarely if ever have crashes and I have never attempted to rename a .sv$ file.

Oh, and Tiger you would lose that bet on a second count. :)

I am having a LOT less crashes since killing the INFOCENTER (http://www.manusoft.com/software/freebies/misc.html), thank you Owen! :beer:

You can see from this snippet of my Autosave files that the original drawing title is appended with a seemingly random numeric string, making it easy to sort things out, should you have numerous files open during a crash.

In the drawing recovery manager if you choose OPEN ALL, the relevant .sv$ files will be opened with related files, without the need to interact, and it will display the appended title.

Remember that if you have your Windows folder option set to hide known file types, you will not be able to change your .sv$ file to a .dwg file forthwith. Disregard the file change warning, and open your autosaved version from your Autosave folder, at any point in time. :wink:

sv$ naming issue.JPG

I was asking Mugshot what happens on his machine. It seems my initial thought that the rename was just not happening is wrong, so I am curious as to why it would be that a rename would not go through. Could be as you say Dave, that AutoCAD is still locking the file.

actually the .sv$ file comes along to the drawing recovery manager. . . drawing file. . . .bak file and the .sv$ file. . if it is not available, then thats the time you have to go to the root of the system extracting the sv$ file. . . but some machines cannot rename or change the extennsion files. that is how my thought wanders already. . .

machine is ok. . . its just that i cant figure out if it needs admin access to rename or the program itself who locks or installed it the wrong way.

Thanks Dadgad,

So if I understand correctly in your screen shot the original file is "...rev 1_1_1_.dwg" and it is then assigned xxxx.sv$ ? Then when you recover it is titled "...rev 1_1_1_xxxx.dwg" and you would be required to SaveAs the original file name?

The original name ended with REV 1, and everything after that was appended when it was autosaved.

I would suggest checking it before overwriting the existing .dwg file with the SAVE AS command, but

yes that is how you can do it, should your drawing recovery manager fail to do it. Remember that your DRAWING RECOVER MANAGER will

open it without the need to change the file type by selecting OPEN ALL.

Should that not be a possibility and you are able to find it in your AUTOSAVE folder, you can do it by changing the file type. :)