Changing Page Layout from an AutoCAD template?

D1-Xen

I am currently drawing my plans and realised the template: "Tutorial-mArch.dwt" is an A1 Paper Size.

I can only print A4 pages so when I compressed it to a A4, the layout of title box simply goes out of scale.

How do I scale those? How do I fix it?

If you do not mind me asking more, how do I make my title box (name scale on my own?

I am a beginner, step by step method will be appreciated.

Capture.jpg

PS: I do not know how to add texts box. So if you can tell me that as well that would be 2 birds in one stone. :ouch:

Not sure that understands your printing intentions: are you going to print an A1 drawing scaled down to an A4 or you want to draw and print on an A4?

For first case maintain the setup as it was and when print, just choose “Scale to Fit” option. But then you will have a hard time reading that paper.

For the second one will need to redraw the sheet contour since the title-block should be maintained at his size.

...you want to draw and print on an A4?...

Hello MSasu. Yes, I would like to perform my drawing on an A4 Size Paper and print on an A4 paper. If possible, can you teach me how to add texts and get AutoCAD to draw appropriate unit?

I am simply drawing basic electronic circuit diagram which are solar cells represented by rectangles and alike. I am very sure my kind of stuff is kindergarten work for you expert. :lol:

I drew it up anyway, but once again it doesn't match the paper size... So if you may allow me to update my questions I have:

1. Unit confusion. I am not sure what unit is AutoCAD outputting

2. I do not know how to add texts. I would love to.

3. I do cannot understand why my plans cannot fit in the paper. So I have paper sizing problem.

4. When doing a print test, the words are very very blurry cause I think the text are compress from A1 to A4...

Attachments of what I would like to seek help are expressed in the attachments. Please refer to them to see a clearer image of what I am experiencing.

My Paper.jpg

My Drawing.jpg

One unit can be whatever you want it to be. 1 unit = 1mm, or 1cm, or 1m, etc.

Text can be done in either model space or in your paper space layout. If you are going to leave it in model space then you might want to look into using a feature called Annotative Scaling.

Paper size can be changed by going through the Page Setup manager accessed via right-clicking on a Layout tab then selecting Modify at the next dialog window.

There can be several reasons for blurry text one of which is the size of the text and the lineweight it is printed with. Without a copy of your drawing it is difficult to pinpoint the exact cause.

It will be better if you will follow the tutorials from this Forum – there you will discover about many AutoCAD entities and how to draw them.

Regarding the title-block, the best solution is to make it as a block with attributes. But, I think that you should let this for later when will gain some experience. You can find here a good tutorial on this mater.

....You can find here a good tutorial on this mater.

Ok, I have made a lot of progress understanding most of the major drawing commands. I have given a try making my own attributes. But I still don't get how to do it. Where should I start? Do I just start drawing boxes on a new file?

I mean, of course. I can do the long way. Draw boxes, fill them in one by one... :oops: Obviously, I am not being very efficient here...

PS: By the way, silly question. How do I open a "New" AutoCAD file with simply white pate without selecting any template? Cause I am stuck with the template window regardless how many time I Ctr + N...

You can specify which of the many available templates (.dwt files) you wish to set as your preferred template for the QNEW button.

I am guessing that you would want a METRIC one, probably ending in ISO.

Should you choose an IMPERIAL based template you will not be able to change that inherent dimensional bias later.

setting your QNEW preference.jpg

As regards starting with a blank screen, you should consider these different available options for the STARTUP system variable.

startup options.JPG

I have given a try making my own attributes. But I still don't get how to do it. Where should I start? Do I just start drawing boxes on a new file?

I have recommended you in post #5 a tutorial on this subject.

I have recommended you in post #5 a tutorial on this subject.

Yes, I read it. But it does not seems to be clear to me at all. Do I open a new blank plage?

Draw>Block>Define Attributes.... Then? What do I draw? What do I start?

There is not even 1 -> 2 -> 3... Do you have a simpler tutorial to share?

That tutorial will teach you how to define attributes and add them to a block definition.

Regarding the path to follow to create you title-block, there is no compulsory one that every drafter needs to follow. Just use your imagination, review the elements one by one and decide which the best solution to draw them is. For contours use polylines and lines were have just simple lines. When create the labels use text entities for ones that are immutable and attributes for those that vary from drawing to drawing (name of the project, number of drawing, drafter's name, date and other).

Other good way to learn is to open one of the templates shipped with AutoCAD and apply EXPLODE command to their title-block – this will transform the block in simple entities; use next the command LIST to check the type of those items.

.... templates shipped with AutoCAD and apply EXPLODE command to their title-block – this will transform the block in simple entities; use next the command LIST to check the type of those items.

Ah! I see how EXPLODE breaks up the template into every individual lines/words/squares. That helped! However, I still do not see how the Command: LIST.

Nothing appear, until your next reply about how LIST works, I will used the "Exploded" template and draw my custom word title on it.

I still would like to know how to make fields. I know there are already there, I can simply shift them to the place I want, but I would love to know in future how to make ready fill format forms for my A4 drawings.

PS: How do you recombine the files into 1 block once you EXPLODE them as in is there a simple command to do it instead of going through the block editor saving mechanism?

Ah! I see how EXPLODE breaks up the template into every individual lines/words/squares. That helped! However, I still do not see how the Command: LIST.

Nothing appear, until your next reply about how LIST works, I will used the "Exploded" template and draw my custom word title on it.

I still would like to know how to make fields. I know there are already there, I can simply shift them to the place I want, but I would love to know in future how to make ready fill format forms for my A4 drawings.

PS: How do you recombine the files into 1 block once you EXPLODE them as in is there a simple command to do it instead of going through the block editor saving mechanism?

I don't think that Mircea was suggesting this as how to go about what you are trying to do, but rather as a way to help you to understand the different entities that will make up a template, and a drawing sheet block. Recreating a block from all of these exploded elements will be much harder than doing it from scratch. :|

Asking for assistance on the forum is fine, when you get stuck, but you have a responsibility to do some of your OWN homework, and watch or read some TUTORIALS. http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/index.htm .

We all strive to work as efficiently as possible, but there are certain things that must be done in prescribed ways. Like creating a block. :)

Dadgad, thank you for backing me up on this - you are entirely right, my suggestion on applying EXPLODE on the template title-block was for learning purpose. The only thing I omitted to mention is that when using this method on existing templates/drawing, one must take care to don't save the changes when leave the drawing - or, better yet, open it in Read-Only mode.

On creating the block with attributes, I have suggested above to OP a tutorial that seems that he/she followed.