Xref Lag

TRhoads

Could it be a pathing problem? Or, could it be there is some element of the xref that AutoCAD is searching for in its attempt to load the drawing?

I wondered about the path problem, but the lag used to be so inconsistent, but it is becoming more consistent. The base file has no xref's in it, there are no unusual objects. The file is only 266kb...I am going to go through and purge and see if there is something in there.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRhoads

• ReMark

• SLW210

• JRauch

Top Posters In This Topic

dang...just went and did a purge, hoping I would find some stray nonsense...not much there, a dimension style from a tag...gotta go fix that tag but nothing else, and no effect on the xref lag issue.

When you purge do you use the command line version? Do you purge Regapps first then repeat?

After you purge do you run an AUDIT?

When you purge do you use the command line version? Do you purge Regapps first then repeat?

After you purge do you run an AUDIT?

I type purge in the command line, and a window opens, then I go through all categories deleting anything I don't want or need in the base file. I did run an Audit after, no errors found.

Not sure what Regapps are...going to figure that out now.

Are there any Hatches in the drawing?

Yes, we use hatches for wall types, but they have all been frozen. I am working on an Reflected Ceiling Plan, the base floor plan is the XREF, but all hatches are frozen for the RCP file.

HSA-3-6FLR.dwg

This is the base floor plan that becomes the XREF for my RCP. Still very early in production, so we don't even have a ton of data in it yet. I get more lag from this one than I do a plan file that is 2.5MB with thousands of items in it.

Regapps - registered applications. I always purge these (they are not being referenced so it is OK to do so) first. Then I run purge again followed by audit. The command line version requires a dash before the command like so: -purge.

For example, in the drawing you just posted there were 110 unreferenced registered applications which could be purged.

Regapps - registered applications. I always purge these (they are not being referenced so it is OK to do so) first. Then I run purge again followed by audit. The command line version requires a dash before the command like so: -purge.

For example, in the drawing you just posted there were 110 unreferenced registered applications which could be purged.

How did you get to that, I am not familiar with regapps, and how to purge them.

The result of running purge a second time with the "all" option on the uploaded file.

Command: -purge

Enter type of unused objects to purge

[blocks/Dimstyles/LAyers/LTypes/MAterials/MUltileaderstyles/Plotstyles/SHapes/te

xtSTyles/Mlinestyles/Tablestyles/Visualstyles/Regapps/Zero-length

geometry/Empty text objects/All]: all

Regenerating model.

6 zero-length geometric objects deleted.

3 empty text objects deleted.

Enter name(s) to purge :

Verify each name to be purged? [Yes/No] : n

Deleting block "Refrigerator".

1 block deleted.

Deleting layer "A-CL-GR".

Deleting layer "A-EL-2".

Deleting layer "A-EL-3".

Deleting layer "A-EL-4".

Deleting layer "A-EL-5".

Deleting layer "A-EL-6".

Deleting layer "A-EL-OT-3".

Deleting layer "A-EL-OT-4".

Deleting layer "A-EL-OT-5".

Deleting layer "A-EL-OT-6".

Deleting layer "A-EL-PA".

Deleting layer "A-FL-AP".

Deleting layer "A-FL-ML".

Deleting layer "A-SE-MB-2".

Deleting layer "A-SE-MB-3".

Deleting layer "A-SE-MB-4".

Deleting layer "A-SE-MB-44".

Deleting layer "A-SE-MB-5".

Deleting layer "A-SE-MC-4".

Deleting layer "A-SE-MC-5".

Deleting layer "A-SE-MC-6".

Deleting layer "A-SE-PA".

Deleting layer "A-SH".

Deleting layer "A-SH-TE".

Deleting layer "A-SH-TT-2".

Deleting layer "A-SH-TT-3".

Deleting layer "A-SH-TT-4".

Deleting layer "A-SH-TT-5".

Deleting layer "A-SI-PL".

Deleting layer "S-CO".

Deleting layer "Viewport".

Deleting layer "XREF".

32 layers deleted.

Deleting linetype "CENTER2".

Deleting linetype "DASH2".

Deleting linetype "DASHDOT".

Deleting linetype "DASHDOT2".

Deleting linetype "Dashed".

Deleting linetype "DOT".

Deleting linetype "DOT1".

Deleting linetype "DOT2".

Deleting linetype "HIDDEN".

Deleting linetype "HIDDEN4".

Deleting linetype "INVISIBLE".

Deleting linetype "PHANTOM".

Deleting linetype "PHANTOM2".

13 linetypes deleted.

Deleting text style "3".

Deleting text style "Venture Arch".

2 text styles deleted.

Deleting shape file "ltypeshp.shx".

1 shape file deleted.

Deleting dimension style "STANDARD".

1 dimension style deleted.

No unreferenced mlinestyles found.

Deleting plotstyle "Fine".

Deleting plotstyle "Medium Screened".

Deleting plotstyle "Thin".

Deleting plotstyle "Thin Screened".

4 plotstyles deleted.

No unreferenced table styles found.

Deleting material "Doors & Windows.Glazing.Glass.Clear".

Deleting material "Doors & Windows.Metal Doors & Frames.Aluminum

Windows.Painted.White".

Deleting material "Doors & Windows.Wood Doors.Ash".

Deleting material "General.Chip".

Deleting material "General.Sectioned Body".

Deleting material "General.Sectioned Surface".

Deleting material "Masonry.Unit Masonry.Brick.Modular.Running".

7 materials deleted.

No unreferenced visual styles found.

No unreferenced multileader styles found.

The sequence I follow is to use the command line version of PURGE (-purge). When asked what to purge I type "R" for Regapps. I do not verify what regapps are purged item by item but I do check after the task has been completed by pressing the F2 key and looking at the text file.

Then I repeat the command (-purge) but this time I choose the option "ALL". I do not verify what has been purged item by item but again I do check afterwards.

Finally, I run AUDIT.

Zoom > Extents.

Save.

Done.

ah, I see, it is deleting our standard layers and line types, that while not in use right now, might be in use on the file later. And while I agree with eliminating standard layers from a drawing if they are not used on that file...I got in trouble for that many years ago when I first started here...they have rules...being low on the totem pole I have to follow them.

The sequence I follow is to use the command line version of PURGE (-purge). When asked what to purge I type "R" for Regapps. I do not verify what regapps are purged item by item but I do check after the task has been completed by pressing the F2 key and looking at the text file.

Then I repeat the command (-purge) but this time I choose the option "ALL". I do not verify what has been purged item by item but again I do check afterwards.

Finally, I run AUDIT.

Zoom > Extents.

Save.

Done.

AutoCAD 2004 -purge does not recognize "R" as an option.

You're about overdue for an upgrade aren't you? 2013 is already out. You're behind the "9" ball.

Do you share these drawings with other companies and do they, in turn, have to back save them to 2004 file format when they return them to you?

Maybe your company should consider investing in a copy of SUPERPURGE by Manusoft. It's only $30 per seat or $900 for a site license. I'd get one seat and push all drawings that could benefit from SuperPurge through one machine in a batch process using a script. Set it up to run overnight and you'll be good to go when you arrive at work the next morning.

http://www.manusoft.com/software/superpurge.html

I opened the file with 2012 and ran a purge. It found some zero-length geometry and empty text objects, but I can't imagine that would cause the lag. With respect to the post about add-on software, if you're going to invest in software, I'd suggest a more updated version of AutoCAD before an add-on.

To be clear, this drawing (HAS-3-6FLR.dwg) is the one that slows down other drawings when it is used as an xref? Or is this drawing the drawing that gets slowed down when you attach xrefs to it?

I could not recreate the lag by XREFing that file into a drawing locally. If you put all the files on your machine and repath, does it still lag?

You're about overdue for an upgrade aren't you? 2013 is already out. You're behind the "9" ball.

Do you share these drawings with other companies and do they, in turn, have to back save them to 2004 file format when they return them to you?

Maybe your company should consider investing in a copy of SUPERPURGE by Manusoft. It's only $30 per seat or $900 for a site license. I'd get one seat and push all drawings that could benefit from SuperPurge through one machine in a batch process using a script. Set it up to run overnight and you'll be good to go when you arrive at work the next morning.

http://www.manusoft.com/software/superpurge.html

Yeah, I know, we are way over due for an update. We are a small office, and right now need a major upgrade on all of our computers, and all of our software, but that is a financial hit we can't quite afford yet...we made it through 2009-2010, but it was just me and the three partners...the expense of office wide updates right now is well...not a reality. Especially given how busy we have gotten, to take the time to start new, there would be down time and learning curve to deal with.

After the great folks here who have been kind enough to help with this have not had issues with the file, I am going to conclude that it is not only an old out dated version of AutoCAD that is the problem, but also old, tired computers.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate the efforts to help me figure this out.

You could always lessen the financial hit by moving to one of the AutoCAD clone programs such as Bricscad, progeCAD, IntelliCAD or alike. This would reduce your costs by as much as 66%. As far as the computers go if you are still able to complete your jobs with the hardware you got it would be reasonable to conclude your firm would not need high-end workstations. I bet you could get a decent enough computer at a cost of approximately $1,500 each. I think your firm should start a phase in, purchasing one computer every three months (with new software) over a period of a year. I would suggest the first person who gets an upgrade also take a three-day course in the new software so he/she can turn be fairly productive immediately and in turn be responsible for training others as their computers/software are upgraded. Your company has waited far too long.

You could always lessen the financial hit by moving to one of the AutoCAD clone programs such as Bricscad, progeCAD, IntelliCAD or alike. This would reduce your costs by as much as 66%. As far as the computers go if you are still able to complete your jobs with the hardware you got it would be reasonable to conclude your firm would not need high-end workstations. I bet you could get a decent enough computer at a cost of approximately $1,500 each. I think your firm should start a phase in, purchasing one computer every three months (with new software) over a period of a year. I would suggest the first person who gets an upgrade also take a three-day course in the new software so he/she can turn be fairly productive immediately and in turn be responsible for training others as their computers/software are upgraded. Your company has waited far too long.

When we upgraded to 2004, everyone who does production took a three day course. It was very helpful. That is what we would do again.

Our big problem is I am not sure that we can upgrade one station at a time, since it would be to Windows 7, while everything else including the server was on Windows XP. I think we are married to AutoCAD, I know we need to update, I have pushed for it, but those that don't do the production don't realize the limitations and issues we have.

Someone asked if our consultants have to save backwards...yes, they do, and it annoys the daylights out of them. It also annoys me when I get a file late, and then can't do anything with it...I have a program that will open up to AutoCAD 2010 or 2011, but past that, I am out of luck. Most people are past that now...:roll: