Dragging (stretching) a node, entering distance, node goes in a different direction?

If I click on an object, its nodes are highlighted.

If I then click on a node (such as the end of a line), I can move that node.

In this case, I drag it to the left and enter a distance (such as 1 foot), with ortho turned on. This should cause the point to move left exactly 1 foot.

When I press "enter," the node moves up or down instead. It doesn't move left like it should have. I think it doesn't move *precisely* up or down, either, but goes a little to the left or right. It does, however, move the distance I typed in.

Why won't the node go in the direction I want?

I don't have direct distance entry so I'm not certain how it behaves but it sounds like it might be related to the UCS. Turn on your UCS icon and see if it is set to WCS. That may fix it.

I recommend that the UCS icon be always turned on, even for 2D drafting.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I tend to agree with Patrick, since you specify that it moves up or down, and possibly off ortho, sounds like your UCS might be the culprit.

Is the node (grip) on a 3D solid or a 2D object?

Further to Patrick, Blackfish and Dadgad's comments, you might wanna check if Dynamic UCS is on. Sometimes it can cause unexpected behaviour when in 3D model space (especially if you're not expecting it).

I believe the OP may be referring to Grips, and the behavior when grip editing lines with Dynamic Input enabled is different than 2011 and previous. It sounds like the OP may be in "Lengthen mode" instead of "Stretch mode".

Two suggestions:

1) Turn off perpendicular and tangent OSnaps, as Autodesk has acknowledged that these can cause unexpected behavior when grip editing with Dynamic Input enabled.

2) Check to see of SP2 is available for C3D yet, as they've apparently addressed it in SP2 for vanilla AutoCAD

OSNAP

Service Pack 2

• The final value for the line is using the total length instead of stretch/extension.

• When using Osnap, then selecting a line with a grip, then stretching by entering an exact distance may not yield the expected length.

Here are the suggestions I've seen:

> Turn on your UCS icon and see if it is set to WCS.

> check if Dynamic UCS is on

> Maybe you have Dynamic Input (F12) on?

> Turn off perpendicular and tangent OSnaps [when] Dynamic Input enabled.

Unfortunately, I have not seen the error since last week. If (or when) I see it again, I'll test these, and find out which it is and post online.

I believe I had dyanamic input turned on, which I usually turn off. This may have been the problem in my case.

By the way, I work in 2D, which I thought would make dyanamic UCS irrelevant.

• 2 months later...
Here are the suggestions I've seen:

> Turn on your UCS icon and see if it is set to WCS.

> check if Dynamic UCS is on

> Maybe you have Dynamic Input (F12) on?

> Turn off perpendicular and tangent OSnaps [when] Dynamic Input enabled.

Unfortunately, I have not seen the error since last week. If (or when) I see it again, I'll test these, and find out which it is and post online.

I believe I had dyanamic input turned on, which I usually turn off. This may have been the problem in my case.

By the way, I work in 2D, which I thought would make dyanamic UCS irrelevant.

Near as I can tell, the problem was dynamic input. I haven't noticed the problem when I have dynamic input turned off.

So, that seems to have fixed it for me.

Working in 2D would not make DYNAMIC INPUT irrelevant at all, could be quite useful,

but you are correct that it would render DYNAMIC UCS irrelevant. :)