3D Round Objects showing multiple flat faces

FernandoLucchesi

Hi! I'm new here, actually i'm pretty new at AutoCAD either, just got started last week... So, i'm trying to learn about AutoCAD, today i was trying to create a Glass cup, i've created it with REVSURF, at my first try it got square with only SIX faces, so after some seraching, i was told to set "SURTFTAB1" and "SURFTAB2" to a higher number like 18, so i configured them to 36... After that, the cup was looking pretty good and round, but then, i rendered it, at the highest quality "Presentation". But the cup continues to show the flat little faces, i would like to know if it's normal or am i doing something wrong? maybe i should do it with a circle and then press/pull it with a smaller circle on the top? I'll post a picture of it so you guys can have an idea of what i am talking about. You'll see that my bump map is not really getting along with the brick texture aswell! LOL! Any help is welcome! Thanks!

render0031.jpg

Edited by FernandoLucchesi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FernandoLucchesi

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• SEANT

Personally, I would not use REVSURF to create a glass like you did. The two options that immediately come to mind would be REVOLVE (using a profile) and EXTRUDE or even PRESSPULL on the base and side of the glass (then UNION the two).

Personally, I would not use REVSURF to create a glass like you did. The two options that immediately come to mind would be REVOLVE (using a profile) and EXTRUDE or even PRESSPULL on the base and side of the glass (then UNION the two).

Thanks! I'll try the three options and then i'll post the results... =)

So, here are the results, the left one was made by REVOLVE method, while the other one was made by PRESSPULL, nonetheless, they're still showing some big flat faces... Don't worry about the bright look of it, i decided to give it some reflection and the damn thing has ended up turning into something else! LOL!

glass.jpg

Try this. Set the variable FACETRES to a value of 5. The default is 0.5 while the max is 10. See if that makes any difference.

Try this. Set the variable FACETRES to a value of 5. The default is 0.5 while the max is 10. See if that makes any difference.

I should set it before rendering or before modelling the glass?

I would go ahead and set it at the max 10.

Set it now - has no effect on the model creation.

I would also set viewres on at least 2000

Do a regen after changing.

Ok, i'm rendering right now, so, what exactly does all these commands stand for? So i'll know how to use them by my self next time...

FACETRES and SPLINESEGS are two of the variables that affect rendering so they would be set prior to rendering.

FACETRES affects the smoothness of rendered objects while SPLINESEGS effects the number of segments in a polyline curve.

Options_Display.jpg

The settings for SPLINESEGS, FACETRES, ISOLINES and DISPSILH (in that order) can be set in your Options > Display as shown above.

So, you're telling that a 3D solid, like my glass, a cylinder, is composed by polylines and faces, and the command SPLINESEGS, basically defines the number of the segments of this curved polylines (found on the edges), therefore, the higher I set it, the closer to the real thing it'll look? On the other hand, FACETRES, define the smoothness (resolution) of the faces of the solid? Is that right?

So, i changed my Autocad's configuration like you said, here's how it's now:

config.png

Unfortunatelly, the results ain't got much different, i don't know if that's what I shoud expect of AutoCAD or if there's still something I can do to make it round and make the reflections of the surface look a little bit like on the real thing, take a look, this render took me the whole day...

render0032.jpg

Oh yeah! I can see a clearly improvment too, i just thought i would get better results you know? Something smooth like this ring here:

5983110347_ac8bc3e062.jpg

I think it's because the image is too small, but in the larger version, you can see the "squareness" of the glass, it doesn't show that "lines" of the faces on the glass any more, but i just thought i would be able to make it look REAL nice you know? something like reffraction, caustics, right distortion of reflection... Well, i'll see if i can can figure something out, if I do, i'll post back here if anyone asks the same question in the future... Thanks for all the help! I would try to upload it but the damn thing is over 1,68Mb

On a side note, you need to adjust the bump map on your wall. It is not lining up with the brick texture. ;)

Edit: Oops, I just re-read your first post. I guess you're already aware of that.

I would try to upload it but the damn thing is over 1,68Mb

Can you just upload one of the glasses? You don't have to provide us with the entire file.

I deleted the windows, now it's about 364kb! =)

Here you go... The left one was made by REVOLVE method, the right one was made by PRESS/PULL.

Warehouse.dwg

Edited by FernandoLucchesi
Wrong file size

Go to your 3DCONFIG, go to Manual Tune and turn Dynamic Tessellation to OFF (unchecked). This will smooth the rest of any curved solid.

If you are using Solids, make sure ISOLINES and FACETRES is adjusted accordingly as well.

**EDIT** Sorry, ISOLINES and FACETRES are the same variables that control "Rendered Object Smoothness" and "Contour Lines per Surface". No need for that tip. FACETRES is good @ 5, and ISOLINES is good @ 20. Anything more is virtually impossible to tell.

Go to your 3DCONFIG, go to Manual Tune and turn Dynamic Tessellation to OFF (unchecked). This will smooth the rest of any curved solid.

If you are using Solids, make sure ISOLINES and FACETRES is adjusted accordingly as well.

**EDIT** Sorry, ISOLINES and FACETRES are the same variables that control "Rendered Object Smoothness" and "Contour Lines per Surface". No need for that tip. FACETRES is good @ 5, and ISOLINES is good @ 20. Anything more is virtually impossible to tell.

Nope... Still flat as a dice...

I'm starting to doubt about my drawing, but then i look to it on wire fram and IT IS ROUND, it was made REVOLVE and PRESSPULL out of a circle, no reason why it shouldn't be round...