A question regarding MEP

CADadam

Hi there, I have a question regarding AutoCAD MEP vs Alternative suites.

I work as an Mechanical Draftee, taking Mech consultants drawings and creating drawings for duct fabrication and installation (including builders work). Our firm currently uses vanilla AutoCAD to create these drawings.

My question is in regards to moving into the realms of 3D work, are there any software packages that are specifically designed with this kind of work in mind? I've had a short play with MEP but it seems to be more inclined towards the mech consultant side rather than shop/trade drawings.

Any advice/input would be appreciated.

My question is in regards to moving into the realms of 3D work, are there any software packages that are specifically designed with this kind of work in mind? I've had a short play with MEP but it seems to be more inclined towards the mech consultant side rather than shop/trade drawings.

Your inquiry is correct about AutoCAD MEP. It isn't a "design to fabrication" software out of the box, although it does have extensive ANSI standard content for fittings, pipe types, ducts, and routing preferences. You have multiple options if you're venturing down this path.

1. Try an actual Design-to-Fabrication software, which Autodesk now offers here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=18994416&siteID=123112
  2. Try Virtual Mechanical, which is a "in-between" package if you're not going to actually run your designs through a plasma cutter. Great tool it seems for handing off to the shop to build the duct.

Personally, option two would be best bet to try first, unless you want to actually send the entire design through the fabrication tools in the shop. With Virtual Mechanical it seems you have a tight correlation between the shop and the field for accurate building and construction which might suit better needs.

Either way, this is probably what you're after.

Thanks for the quick response! :)

I'll check out both these applications and see if they are suitable. Do they both offer some degree of customization? I would like to move forward from 2D to 3D but retain the same visual look and standards of our current drawings. Also are they built to fully support metric?

And yes, our drawings aren't used directly for shop manufacture, they just provide the physical dimensional,quantity, piece numbering data etc for the fabricators use.

I'm really looking to increase efficiency and streamline some of our drawing work whilst transitioning into 3D capabilities.

Do they both offer some degree of customization? I would like to move forward from 2D to 3D but retain the same visual look and standards of our current drawings. Also are they built to fully support metric?
Yes, yes, and yes. There are trials for every package, just try them out yourself. Also, call and talk to sales for detailed explanations on capabilities.

And yes, our drawings aren't used directly for shop manufacture, they just provide the physical dimensional,quantity, piece numbering data etc for the fabricators use.
Then Virtual Mechanical might be the best choice (and cheapest). AutoCAD MEP can do a lot of this already, but it isn't completely "streamlined" for portraying this type of information.

I'm really looking to increase efficiency and streamline some of our drawing work whilst transitioning into 3D capabilities.
Glad to see you being proactive and motivated to take on this task. Makes you a great asset to your company. :)