Help with Dimensions

Hi,

I have a little AutoCad experience but not a lot so I am spending time over my summer break learning more about autocad.

I have been given a project in which the dimension are in feet and in

My question is that how can I make lines and circles in feet and inches in autocad?

For example, if I have a line that is 40' 8'' (40 ft and 8 in) how can I make a line on autocad like that?

I am using autocad 2012. I would appreciate anyones help.

Thank you

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bulls2030

• ReMark

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Well I have went to the UNITS command and the units I believe I should use is Engineering or Architectual. So which one is recommended? And how would I type my units in feet and inches? your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thnks

First, make sure you're using an Imperial template, not a metric template.

2nd, if you want to enter feet and inches, make sure your UNITS are set to Architectural (UNITS command)

When using Architectural units, you can input 40 ft and 8 in as either 40'8, or 488

I would suggest using the Architectural units but it depends on what you are drawing.

Once you have started the line command you can drag your mouse in the direction you want the line to go in and type the distance in at the command line like this: 40'8". There is no dash between the feet and inches. If you have fractions of an inch they would be typed in as such: 40'8 1/2" (notice the inclusion of a space after the number 8 ).

hi thanks for your reply,

How do i use an imperial template? I have very little knowledge of autocad so I am trying to learn.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm betting you already are. The default template is named acad.dwt and would appear in the list of templates when you first start a new drawing.

An example of a metric template would be acadiso.dwt.

What are you drawing?

If you click the scale list at the bottom right of your status bar and see scales in the following format 1/2" = 1'-0", then it's safe to assume you're using an Imperial template.

Remark, you can enter spaces? I have always entered them as 40'8-1/2, because spaces act like

40'8-1/2 can also be entered as 40'8.5

i am drawing a floorplan.

In the units section, do I specify it in inches or feet?

If you're referring to the Insertion Scale, that's only relevant when inserting objects such as blocks or xrefs into your drawing, but generally, it will be Inches for Architectural.

This is how I would do it. Everyone has their own particular settings though so chose what works best for you.

UNITS

Length: Architectural

Precision: 0'-0 1/16"

Insertion scale: Inches

No, I do not enter spaces. I too have sometimes entered fractional inches like you have shown (40'8.5).

Edited by ReMark
changed my mind...LoL

so just to make sure i am doing this right, when I click line and enter 40'8 that means that is 40ft 8inches? correct?

and also when I go to annotate and dimension, and annotate the line, there is no numbers coming up to make sure i am doing it correctly

If you have followed our instructions then the answer to your first question is "Yes".

I would recommend you first create your floor plan PRIOR to doing any dimensioning. You will probably want to utilize a feature called Associative Scaling when doing your dimensioning and text. For first timers it isn't always an easy concept to grasp. There is an alternative but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.

You can use the LIST command (then pick a line), or you can click a line and check on the Properties palette or you can use the DISTANCE command and using your OSnaps pick both ends of the line as prompted. There is also the MEASURE command as well. BTW...you are using OSNAPS are you not? And you are using either ORTHO mode toggled "on" or POLAR TRACKING to keep lines straight right?

AutoCAD will only accept an apostrophe when using Architectural units, so if you entered 40'8 then it must be 40'-8" long.

As for the dimension, the numbers and arrows are there, they're just so tiny you can't see them without zooming in due to the default dimension style and dimension scale. I would agree to hold off on dimensions for a little while. If you need to verify the length of a line, you can select it, then over over one of it's endpoint grips (assuming Dynamic Input is enabled) You can also use the measuring tools and/or the DISTance command.

ReMark, I gotta know how you enter spaces when inputting dimensions? that would be so much more efficient than reaching for the hyphen.

I definitely was not in my right mind when I said that I entered spaces. I do not. Sorry for the confusion on my part. I have revised my previous answer accordingly. Must be time to go home. LoL

You can post any further questions whenever you need assistance. There are any number of forum members who would be more than happy to assist you.

You're entirely welcomed. :)

Hi again guys, I have finished my floor plan sketch. Now my company is asking if I can put dimensions on it and bring a printout of it. Can someone assist me in this matter?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I am using autocad 2012 by the way