Moving Profiles

DODGE

Hi Guys

I have always had problems moving my AutoCad profile from one computer to another.

I have my AutoCad 12 set up with all my toolbars etc just how I like it and am used to.

I had to move my profile to another computer the other day and I just couldn't get it to work.

Can somebody give me step by step instructions on how to take it from Computer 'A' TO Computer 'B' and then just carry on using my template with my profile.

Thanks in Advance guys.

Dodge8)

Just to be sure, when you say "AutoCad 12" you are referring to AutoCAD2012, not AutoCAD r12, correct?

Assuming the former, workspace settings such as toolbars, aren't stored in the "Profile", they're stored in the CUI (cuix) Basically, anything that's a user "preference" such as Background colors, Osnap Settings, Crosshair size etc is stored in the profile. The profile also stores the paths to the support files/folders such as the location of your AutoCAD directory, template file location, and default template, font and linetype file location, AND the location of the CUI(s)

The CUI (.cuix file) is where workspace settings are stored. This includes the arrangement of the Ribbon and toolbars, toolbar size and position, menus (both drop down and right-click) and custom commands, and their icons.

Keeping that in mind, can you describe what type of problems you've had trying to re-use you settings from one computer on a different computer?

Hi Nestly

Yeh sorry I mean AutoCad 2012.

I just want to transfer the exact same workspace settings, Ribbons, Toolbars etc etc onto another computer.

When I open my template on Computer 'B' I want it to be exactly the same as computer 'A'.

Note sure how to do this, do I just save these settings to a usb and then transfer to computer 'B'

If this is the case what do I load to the usb and where do I find these files. Then I will need step x step how to load onto 'B' from the usb.

Thanks for your help

Dodge

I think I can get you set up after a few more questions.

1) Have you made changes inside the CUI (CUI command) and if so, did you make those changes to the Main cui (acad.cuix) or the Custom cui (custom.cuix)

2) When you say "template" are you referring to how AutoCAD looks when you first start it up, or the drawing (.dwt file) that loads when you first start AutoCAD.... or both?

3) Do both computers have the same version of AutoCAD installed, ie both are vanilla AutoCAD 2012, or is one AutoCAD2009 and the other AutoCAD2012?

I think I can get you set up after a few more questions.

1) Have you made changes inside the CUI (CUI command) and if so, did you make those changes to the Main cui (acad.cuix) or the Custom cui (custom.cuix)

2) When you say "template" are you referring to how AutoCAD looks when you first start it up, or the drawing (.dwt file) that loads when you first start AutoCAD.... or both?

3) Do both computers have the same version of AutoCAD installed, ie both are vanilla AutoCAD 2012, or is one AutoCAD2009 and the other AutoCAD2012?

Hi Nestly

1 - As far as I know I have never made changes inside the CUI

2 - When I first started using AutoCad I made a template, I set the dimensions, toolbars, blocks etc exactly how I wanted them. I have this template saved in a folder with shortcut to my desktop. When I start a new job I just double click this and save as..

3 - Yes both computers are running same ver of AutCad 2012.

I just want them set exactly the same but need a step x step how to find and save the files to a usb on computer ' A ' and then load on computer 'B'

Many Thanks for your help

D

Based on that, I'm going to suggest you just exit AutoCAD and use the Migration tools in the Windows Start menu to export all your existing settings, put them on your USB drive, and then use the Migration tools on the new computer to "Import" your settings.

Here's a good video that takes you the whole way through. (watch in full screen mode for better clarity)

Based on that, I'm going to suggest you just exit AutoCAD and use the Migration tools in the Windows Start menu to export all your existing settings, put them on your USB drive, and then use the Migration tools on the new computer to "Import" your settings.

Here's a good video that takes you the whole way through. (watch in full screen mode for better clarity)

Hi Nestly

Just watched the utube vid.

Not sure if I am missing something, Under Autocad 2012 English. I do not have the Migrate Custom Settings option.

Not on the Computer 'A ' or on the Computer 'B'

Computer 'A' Is running Win XP Pro AND cOMPUTER 'B' is running Win 7 Home. Both computers with AutoCad 2012

Dodge

Look for a "Autodesk" folder in the Windows Start menu...

Thanks Nestly

I was looking in Windows explorer DOH!

Feel like a D head.

Cheers Dodge

You found them, cool. I thought you may have to install them since the Migration tools are an option during installation. I hope it goes real smoothly for you.

Quick and dirty

1 export out your profile

2 make a copy of your cui its buried in document& settings\userid\autodesk\en etc

3 copy these two files to your new computer somewhere easy, win7 say \users

4 start autocad using default profile and import your profile set current exit autocad your profile should have the main cutomization menu path set to the same location as step 3

5 make a copy of your desktop icon back to the desktop and click properties in the command line change the /p "toyourprofilename"

6 start autocad all should work !

Quick and dirty

1 export out your profile

If I'm not mistaken, there will need to be a lot of manual repathing when importing a profile to Win7 that was exported from a WinXP machine because the directory structure is different.

Nestly we use a server for most of our stuff so no local pathing, the other trick is we have a lsp for setting all paths etc we have 1 operator with a laptop so copied the lisp and made a couple of changes this set up his ARG which we save seperately to the normal one. As above we set our local paths high up in directories. I have posted before the setpaths.lsp will try to find this includes pointing to the correct cui location. We imported the 2012 ARG no problems. Ps the ARG is a text file so could edit that using search & replace.

You found them, cool. I thought you may have to install them since the Migration tools are an option during installation. I hope it goes real smoothly for you.

Thanks Nestly

I thought I had replied, it all worked well did it all in about 2 minutes.

Thanks Dodge