What would you like?

CADTutor

Maybe we could add a $Donate$ button instead of a Solved button to each thread.

"IF you find our solutions helped, please DONATE!"

Good call; encourages those who enjoy using the website to donate and reminds all that this is funded by donations and CadTutor

Edited by PotGuy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotGuy

• Lee Roy

• CADTutor

• Strix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a nice idea - maybe a pop up?

I do think it would alter the tone of the whole place to the idea that a paid team are there to fetch-me, carry-me though, instead of a community where we all share ideas and contribute :(

I do think it would alter the tone of the whole place to the idea that a paid team are there to fetch-me, carry-me though, instead of a community where we all share ideas and contribute :(
The regulars here do all share ideas and contribute but there are also a lot of request from people who think we already are here to do their drawings for them - and I don't just mean the "oh dear, I forgot to pay attention in class" brigade. We do have a significant number of people asking complex problems who then bump their thread if it hasn't been answered in 20 minutes.

The regulars here do all share ideas and contribute but there are also a lot of request from people who think we already are here to do their drawings for them - and I don't just mean the "oh dear, I forgot to pay attention in class" brigade. We do have a significant number of people asking complex problems who then bump their thread if it hasn't been answered in 20 minutes.

The idea of a "Donate" button is a good one. What dbroda said is very true, especially about people almost demanding a service and from what I see it's happening more and more recently.

I thought we had a donate button

did it get lost in the last upgrade?

I thought we had one too but don't remember its passing. I thought Lee also had one in his sig but that is no longer there either.

We used to have a donate button at the bottom of each thread - the hope was that the OP, on getting useful and valuable advice might be inclined to donate a small sum. However, I don't think there was a single donation from that button and so I removed it when I did the last design review. We do receive some donations from the tutorials pages, but never from the forum.

Fortunately, the adverts do reasonably well here and that's what pays for the site, it couldn't remain online if we relied only on donations.

Lee has a good point about one-upping, however this has not been my experience on automotive forums (With exception of one, where attention whores make posts whining about their "reputation", I don't go there much). There is also the ability to turn off displaying of the statistics, so there is no way for users to compare to each other. Attached is what the "Thanks" looks like on my forum (link to thread pictured).

PostThank.jpg

You can see the "Thanks" button (can be customized), it shows who thanked the post (more reputed members generally means the post was correct/helpful) and there's also no statistics in the postbit (userinfo) on the left or on the homepage.

It's a quick way of saying "Thanks for your help" or "Thanks for posting that so I don't have to" or "That's a great, informative post" without typing it all out.

This would be a good alternative to the user having to 'bump' the thread after a period of time; of course, the user would also need to remember to remove the 'unsolved' flag if the thread is subsequently solved...

If an Admin is happy there's closure on the issue, why not give them power to flag the Thread as 'Solved', unless the specfically requested by the Member who opened it?

It would sort the issue of people being akf for a while, and help clean up posts that have and haven't been solved?

I'm not a fan of the "Solved" idea. In AutoCAD there's many ways to skin the cat. Just cause one way solves one persons issue, doesn't mean it will solve everyones, just look at Autodesk's own support forums.

If we're migrating to the new forum software, can the 'profile feed' be disabled? It looks like FB has smashed into the forum :glare:

Wasn't aware we had a Profile Feed...

I'm not a fan of the "Solved" idea. In AutoCAD there's many ways to skin the cat. Just cause one way solves one persons issue, doesn't mean it will solve everyones, just look at Autodesk's own support forums.
Agreed. Plus, it becomes a pain for moderators. It's bad enough they have to keep things in line with forum rules to keep a certain level of order here (consolidating double posts, resurrection of ancient threads, off topic posts from newbies, etc). I would see moderators constantly having to confirm that the problem was solved and note it. Plus, a lot of topics here are simply discussions about best approaches and practices, not necessarily "straight forward" answers in a Q&A fashion.

Seems like a good idea, but in reality I don't think it is.

Could you have some buttons for posts like "Thank you" and "You are welcome" and "I agree" and "+1" and "me too" etc., etc.

The technical threads seem to be increasingly cluttered with posts that have no technical content. I am all for courtesy, and signifying agreement, but at present it all seems a bit overwhelming. In other words have a facility to post a "chat" post in the technical thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not use a 'Thank you' button, that simply notifies all subscribed users that the user is happy with a solution, but still invites others who think they have a better solution to post?

It would still keep a discussion going while also letting the people involved know that the individual is happy? Maybe with an option for the postee to attach the post that satisfied their question and send as an email to the subscribers?

Attaching to the Smilies section with a reminder when posting?

It would still keep the politeness without the need of people 'upping' the other in a solution.

Edited by PotGuy
Why not?