Freezing Dimensions Problem In PDF after DWG to PDF export.

3dwannab

Hi this is my first post and have been using AutoCAD since R14 but actually just noticed this.

All layers in there are as exactly as they should be expect a few lines which are on 'LAYER 0' So I've exported the drawing by printing from DWG to PDF.

I've tried freezing the Dimensions but I have to freeze 'LAYER 0' to get rid of the ticks therefore freezing my lines also. Is this a bug in the software? Or me? Because its weird way the ticks have to be different then the rest of the dimension. Afterall it would be nice to freeze the Dims with one click and it also took me a while to figure out how to freeze them.

But, I always thought the ticks on dimensions belonged to the layer 'Defpoints' but when I export the PDF there is no 'Defpoints' So I exploded the dimension in AutoCAD and the tick does belong to 'LAYER 0'

Is there any system Variable to change the layer of them ticks so I don't have the same problem freezing Dimensions.

layer 0.jpg

pdf.jpg

Welcome on forum 3dwannab,

On 'Defpoints' are only these small dots, which are placed from where to where you measure and place your dimension, nothing else. 'Defpoints' layer is not-printable (that's why there is no this layer in PDF), so the mentioned ticks wouldn't print either and you wouldn't have problem with PDF.

You must do something wrong or unusual...

I don't understand why do you have to freeze 'Layer 0' to turn off dimensions. It seems like you use custom ticks saved as a block on wrong layer... However you said when exploded it's 'Layer 0', which should be OK for creation blocks, because the ticks should take properties from the layer on which they and dimensions are placed.

Check properties (layers) of the block you use for ticks using INSERT command, without exploding it, maybe this will throw light on your problem.

Welcome on forum 3dwannab,

On 'Defpoints' are only these small dots, which are placed from where to where you measure and place your dimension, nothing else. 'Defpoints' layer is not-printable (that's why there is no this layer in PDF), so the mentioned ticks wouldn't print either and you wouldn't have problem with PDF.

Thanks for that blackfish. I came on here to learn more about Visual LISP and expand my skills but this cropped up first! Ah, so I was ½ right about the 'Defpoints' :)

You must do something wrong or unusual...

I don't think I am, because I would have had this freezing problem in AutoCAD if I have the '_Arch Tick' in the wrong layer. Once I open it in block editor it shows up with 'Layer 0, Colour + Line type: By Layer' (See below)

block editor.jpg

Check properties (layers) of the block you use for ticks using INSERT command, without exploding it, maybe this will throw light on your problem.

See below that whatever layer I insert the '_Arch Tick' in, it takes on the colour, linetype properties of that layer. Don't pay attention to the scale I just done that instead of messing with LTSCALES.

arch tick prop.jpg

PS: I don't really want to put this in a generic layer 'Dimension' in my template file as I have several Dim Layers such as 'AN_dims-external' and 'AN_dims-internal' so that would not be a workable solution. Thanks.

1. Can you freeze or turn off your dimension layer in AutoCAD without any problem and the problem has appeared when printing to PDF only?
  2. Have you tried set a new dim style and check how it is when printing?
  3. Is the problem in one certain drawing or with AutoCAD in general?

It's unusual... you have been using AutoCAD since R14, so know how dims should work :)

PS. Does it happen in the new AutoCAD 2013? If yes that could be, as you suggested, some unreported bug.

Sonas ort! :D

1. Can you freeze or turn off your dimension layer in AutoCAD without any problem and the problem has appeared when printing to PDF only?
  2. Have you tried set a new dim style and check how it is when printing?
  3. Is the problem in one certain drawing or with AutoCAD in general?

1. Yes I can freeze no problem.
  2. Yes see attached.
  3. With AutoCAD it seems.

I've attached the etransmitted dwg file here Dimension Tick Problem - Standard.zip along with the exported .pdf.

To try and source the problem I created all of the Dimensions with the 20 Standard AutoCAD ticks and the one remaining user defined one using a block on layer 0, and all but one dimension gives the same problem. The difference is the one that the one which works when exploded turns into a solid whereas the others are blocks. So AutoCAD must not translate the same message when exporting to .pdf. Because it does freeze as it should do in the viewport but not when exporting.

Same has to be said for the leaders styles also. Seems like a bug to me.

Edited by 3dwannab

That must be a bug :cry:

I've already tried on my computer and it's the same problem when using 'DWG to PDF'. Ticks are printed on 'Layer 0'. The only one OK is 'Closed filled' (solid arrow), which not a block when you exploded, but solid.

I haven't even tested your sample, just my own drawing! I've never notice this, because never use 'DWG to PDF' printer and layers.

So, there is a problem with any blocks (predefined & user) defining arrowheads when printing dimensions :(

I've done a test drawing of two blocks nested in another block...

With the .pdf which works as it should

What do you mean 'works as it should be'? It's still wrong, I mean ticks switch off when 'Layer 0' is off only :(

What do you mean 'works as it should be'? It's still wrong, I mean ticks switch off when 'Layer 0' is off only :(

nO, I mean the nested blocks in Layer 0 behave okay. At least there is no fault with them. :shock: