Custom size pipework

hyposmurf

How do I add a custom diameter pipework?I have the drop down with the size to choose after adding the pipe via properties or I can change the size via the command line when creating it.I can't however add a custom size to the nominal size drop down for the properties of this pipework.I can add a pipe fitting and then custom size the pipework connection, but then add pipework to this fitting and it defaults back to the standard nominal sizes.

I'm using MEP 2012,I'm sure in the previous release I used to be able to add a custom size via the PIPEADD dialogue box.This dialogue box though in 2012 is no longer there.

Have I got to create a custom size part?

Edited by hyposmurf

I'm not sure I quite follow. And how were you doing it before? The dialog box might be gone but all previous options, as well as new ones, simply are now on the Properties Palette when you execute the command.

All I want to do is add a custom diameter to the pipework Im creating.I thought I could just type in he properties panel over the nominal pie size,but thats not possible.

I also thought hat maybe I could try going to the mechanical settings via the HVAC tab, this HVAC tab isnt there I have Build panel in its place.

Is it a matter of "typing" the size? If that's all it is, then no - you can only "select" the size from the dropdown list.

All sizes are there, but if you truly do need a custom size, then best practice is to create a new catalog or edit an existing. :)

If I go the route of adding a size via the mechanical settings is that another route?Any idea why my HVAC panel is not showing up and just the Build panel is showing up?

Yes it's the ribbon.Ive tried now modifying the pipe catalog adding an additional size.This worked however when going to add further pipework by clicking the cross it keeps going to give me a reducer.If I try to specify the size it says its not there.

Well if you change a pipe size, you need to have all fittings/MvParts have the exact same sizes to match. If not, AutoCAD sees a discrepancy and fills the void.

Is it really that critical that you use some custom size? What type of pipe is this? AutoCAD MEP has all ANSI standard pipe sizes that I've ever needed. I have yet in all my years need to make a custom size.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply.You're right about the all the other fittings/mvparts needing to be the exact same size.Quite a bit of work for a custom pipe size.Turns out engineer had marked up wrong size! :) After all that panic. :)