From 3ds Max to Autocad?

Zox

So I've been looking for some 3d files on seek.autodesk centre, like trees for instance, but I see they're mostly for MAX so how do I import them to autocad? I have an older version of Max (2009) and I export it from there as .fbx or .dwg or .3ds but when I open or import it in autocad I get blank screen. I mean it opens the file but tree isn't there. Nothing is there.

So what do I do?

The model should be there. It's probably black, the same as your background color. Change your SHADEMODE setting to 'Realistic' and you should see it.

Or change your Autocad model space background color to something other than black.

Or, hold down the 'Ctrl' key and hit "A" to select all. Then open your Properties palette and change the color of the object to white or some color other than black.

Well actually I was thinking that that may be a problem so I already tried by changing my SHADEMODE and my background color is not black but light gray.

EDIT but it also seems that I'm not exporting it properly for some reason because I cannot even import those files back in MAX when I change them into .3ds or dwg, although fbx appears back in MAX but not in autocad.

EDIT2 I also see what's the problem with dwg... when I export it from MAX to dwg or 3ds I get message during export that the tree(s) have to many faces and that the object will be skipped. So what do I do? How to lower face count?

Edited by Zox

Yes, there is a limit to the number of faces an object can have when exported from Studio Max to .dwg or .3ds format. You can't export more than 65k faces, or something like that. I'm not sure how you're going to get around that, other than maybe breaking the tree into small chunks and exporting each chunk as a separate file. Then bring those files into Autocad and reassemble.

Why do you need the trees in Autocad? If you have Max 2009, why don't you just bring your Autocad models into Studio Max for rendering. Then you don't have to bother with exporting anything.

I've drawn a building in Autocad and now when I finally figured it out about lights, sky and rendering it turns out I have to do it in MAX and re-learn it again. I thought that that's why Autocad 2010+ and was so special that it was more, if not completely, 3D friendly.

Is at least MAX 2010 more similar to current Autocad's interface?

It's true that Autocad 3D is now much more user friendly than it used to be, but it's still a bear to work with when it comes to materials and rendering. That's where it basically falls flat in comparison to other 3D applications.

No, Studio Max 2010 is not similar to Autocad's interface. It's a completely different program. The only similarity is that they both have toolbars with buttons and they both have a ribbon, but that's where the similarities end.

So how do I export it to have sky and sun as in autocad as well in MAX '09? I save it as .dwg and when I import it in MAX I click to preserve sky, lights and camera but when I render it it's just silhouette with no sky and sun.

Is newer MAX better in importing from autocad?

BTW what is this in autocad and how do I turn it off?

O2zaD.png

It is indeed difficult to view independent components like landscape, trees etc. in AutoCAD from 3D Studio Max. However to view it, export it to AutoCAD from 3D Max and change the back ground colour to a lighter shade to view it appropriately.