Model Space to Paper Space

rank03

I am having difficulties with the scale of my drawing. In my model space, the units are set to decimal - millimeters. And then, when I set up a viewport in paper space even 1/128"=1'-0" is too small. I'm using a size 24"x36" paper. Everything is set to 1:1 and I drew 1:1 in model space. Previously, another person drew this drawing and it fit on an 8x11 sheet of paper at 1:10, but mine doesn't fit on 24x36.

What did I do wrong? :?

Your sheet in Layout is drawn in inches or in equivalent millimeters? If I'm not wrong, the 1/128" : 1'-0" scale translate to an ~0.00065 scale factor, then the sketch will display 23.4 x 20 units in Layout, so should fit a 24x36 paper, but not a 610x914 one (metric equivalent).

At that size a scale of 1:100 will fit comfortably.

Why're you mixing units? I would guess that's where your confusion's coming in. Your model shouldn't fit onto an 8x11" sheet at 1:10, either, so it looks like your colleague did something wrong, too. (at 1:10 you'd need a 3.6m or 12' sheet!).

dJE

74624mm is actually the dimension horizontally. Sorry! Yes, my collegue has confused me by saying it should fit with a 1/8"=1'-0", but I'm drawing in metric. My layout is drawn in millimeters. Thanks for all your help. It's still not working though :unsure:

My layout is drawn in millimeters.

This means that the said 24x36 sheet is in fact drawn as (about) 610x914 units in Paper Space?

MSasu, can I create my own paper space size to 610x914 because it is not in the drop down menu under paper size?

Since you cannot upload the trouble-maker file, then go in Layout, ensure that Paper Space is active and measure the viewport. Next calculate the ratio between viewport size and Model sketch on both horizontal and vertical - the biggest ratio will give you the required scale factor; adjust that to match a standard scale.

Try entering your viewport and doing a ZOOM>EXTENTS. Use the properties box to report the scale that gives you.

dJE

Thanks everybody for your help! I have never had a problem with this before. I inserted a lot of the drawings from previous files but they weren't to scale so I sized them up to their appropriate dimension given in millimeters. I don't know if that has anything to do with my problem. This drawing should be able to fit at 1:50 on a 30x22 area if my drawing is approx 60mx32m, right? I need this problem fixed today, so I appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks Danellis, I tried zoom extents, but I have many other drawings in my file that I don't want to be displayed in that specific layout.

You should not dismiss @danellis solutions entirely; even if zoom all/extend doesn’t work for your case, you can always try to do a zoom window on area you want to show at scale in a specific viewport, adjust dynamically (if case) the zoom level and read in Properties the scale you got by fitting the said sketch in current viewport. Then just set that viewport to closest, lower, standard scale.

Thanks MSasu. I'm not very fimiliar with these techinques and am having some problems with zoom extents and zoom window. As well, I'm supposed to have these drawing at 1:50. Is there any way I could do that?

Thanks MSasu. I'm not very fimiliar with these techinques and am having some problems with zoom extents and zoom window. As well, I'm supposed to have these drawing at 1:50. Is there any way I could do that?

Mixing units is a bad idea.

First you say that a drawing unit is equal to cm, later you say mm, so I will assume mm.

Now your border or title block should be 914x610 (or close to that) and not 36x24, in autocad those are not the same thing. Set your units to decimal if they aren't already and check the length and height of the border and scale it to the metric mm dims if it isn't there already.

In PS create a viewport, zoom, extents, then zoom and place a window around the area you want to show for plotting.

I believe you said you wanted a plot scale of 1:50, so since your drawing is in mm and not cm your viewport scale will be set to 1:50.

Finally when you plot be sure to set the "display units" to mm, it is in the middle of the plot dialog.

rkent, thank you so much! My paper size was the problem being in inches. Thank you, now I know to not mix my units!