Newby questions: How to get started?

stef_r

Still no luck with the trim command...

Still getting the error message saying" Object / Edge is perpendicular to UCS XY plane" :

trim_object.JPG

Can it be I'n in the 'wrong' view, like in the picture above I'm trying to trim the lines in the "right" view...

Is there something I HAVE to know about the (dynamic) UCS?

I know UCS stands for User Coordinate System but I have no clue what the link is between the TRIM command and the UCS. Do I missing something important?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stef_r

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still no luck with the trim command...

You don't need to trim.

But it looks like we should get into how to get this to work.

Look at your UCS icon. 2D should be in XY plane. DUCS normally takes care of this for you - but sometimes you need to have absolute control rather than automatic control.

Type UCS Enter

F (for Face) Enter.

Click on that face were the slot is and watch the UCS icon change to XY

Ok, I have PRESSPULLED the 4 elements out of it without the use of the TRIM command.

So even I have the slot right now, like JD Mather said, I like to get into it how it works and try to understand the commands and UCS.

Will post a picture / file soon... :-)

Bracket.dwg

Ok, here it is!

Took a bit longer than expected, but that was because of the weekend and the fact that my son (3 years) has had his birthday :D

Anyway, I've played around a bit and also looked at the UCS like JD mentioned in his last post.

I've now created a bracket with slots and I didn't get any errors or warnings when drawing, euhh sorry, MODEL!

I haven't deleted the red help lines yet, but how can I turn this 3D bracket in a readable 2D drawing to go to the Metelshop?

Yes, the 2D views of your bracket could be extracted from the 3D model.

How, the question was "but how can I turn this 3D bracket in a readable 2D drawing".

He is almost home - someone walk him there.

I'm not up to speed on the capabilities of Mech 2012. In plain AutoCAD there are a few different ways to extract the 2D views. The most recent is the VIEWBASE command. Do you have it?

I haven't dived into it to deep yet, but I've look a bit around and there is a command "FLATSHOT".

Maybe I can give it a shot with this???

I'm not up to speed on the capabilities of Mech 2012. In plain AutoCAD there are a few different ways to extract the 2D views. The most recent is the VIEWBASE command.

I am all but certain AutoCAD Mechanical can be run as vanilla AutoCAD.

viewbase is an improvement over flatshot.

Type it in and see what happens.

Click on Layout tab lower left corner of screen.

You should have viewbase in 2012 (which will arrange the views for you according to standard practice). I would not fool with flatshot.

Attach your file here.

[ATTACH]36059[/ATTACH]

Ok, I've played around a bit with the FLATSHOT command.

But how can I arrange them in a neat way and how can I add dimensions to it so it can be readable on paper?

Rotate your view to so you see the view of the object you wish to project then run FLATSHOT, but return to "Top" view before placing the blocks. (you may need to zoom out and/or change the basepoint to get greater control over placing the blocks accurately the first time)

Example:

You should have viewbase in 2012 (which will arrange the views for you according to standard practice). I would not fool with flatshot.

Attach your file here.

New dogs, old tricks, eh JD?

It is much easier to understand people who are already reasonably comfortable with an older technique sticking by their guns,

or being lazy about exploring new ways to do things. That is only human nature.

It amazes me when people who are new to the game are offered improved tools

and opt to cling to those which are harder to use and have become somewhat obsolete. :beer:

The intrepid nestly dives back into another FLATSHOT thread!

At least the OP is using 2012 where it works a lot better than in that other recent flatshot thread, and

as is his nature has supplied a masterful video demonstration of all that needs be done. :wink:

New dogs, old tricks, eh JD?

It is much easier to understand people who are already reasonably comfortable with an older technique sticking by their guns,

or being lazy about exploring new ways to do things. That is only human nature.

It amazes me when people who are new to the game are offered improved tools

and opt to cling to those which are harder to use and have become somewhat obsolete. :beer:

VIEWBASE "aint all that". The 2D output can not be shared, it can only be printed, and the lack of control over layers are two reasons it doesn't get any play from me.

VIEWBASE "aint all that". The 2D output can not be shared, it can only be printed, and the lack of control over layers are two reasons it doesn't get any play from me.

nestly I agree that VIEWBASE is not yet as good as it should and eventually (hopefully) will be,

and I heartily concur about the likely difficulty of sharing with older versions .....

The Flatten confusion thread (with the earlier version of the software) got a little out of control, and makes me a little gunshy of

explaining how to use it, although your video is right on the money, and should make it drop dead easy. :beer:

What do you mean by the lack of control over layers?

Once you have renamed those view generated layers, those layer names are saved for next use?

I am sure you have a valid observation, just curious what you mean?

Yes, particularly in 2012. But I made this suggestion with the entire discussion of this thread and the actual part and stated intended use in mind.

Heck, I never really got the hang of Flatshot and would have used solview/soldraw myself if it had been a complex part.

Bracket_XT6XT3.dwg

Ok, Here's my file with the VIEWBASE command.

I think this works pretty easy but I will study the other options in the last few threads as well this weekend.

For now, my first thought would be that VIEWBASE works perfectly for me.

(You may tell me why Í am wrong here... :P )

Oh, And to fine-tune my bracket...

When I round-up the sharp edges, like Dadgad in his post #61 mentioned, this would be (manually) be updated in the layout area.

But I think I do something wrong because I can't get the modifications to be updated in the layout tab.

I also want to shorten my bracket by 2mm...

When I draw the first two lines, I wanted it to be 30mm x 30mm.

But now, if I meassure, it is 32mm x 32mm... Guess I didn't took the thickness of the material in mind.

Is this easy to do or not???