Trouble with underdstanding scaling

Here are some general rules/guidelines about Viewports which bears repeating.

Viewports are assigned a scale not the objects back in model space. Objects in model space should all be drawn at FULL size.

Viewports can be created using the MView command.

Viewports can be resized using their grips.

Viewports can be moved, copied, rotated. aligned and even deleted. If you delete a viewport it does not delete the objects back in model space.

It's a good idea to put viewports on their own layer and set the layer to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager. This will eliminate the "frame" affect often seen after a plot is made.

Once you have your viewport set up the way you want it is a good idea to have the display locked. This can be done in a couple of different ways.

One way is to do it via the Properties palette. The other way is to highlight the viewport frame then right click and change "Display locked" from

"no" to "yes". Doing this will prevent accidentally changing the viewport scale when moving between paper space and model space.

It is possible to freeze layers in individual viewports via the Layer Properties Manager and the VP Freeze column.

A viewport is made "active" by double-clicking within it.

You can cycle between viewports by pressing Ctrl+R repeatedly until you reach the viewport you want.

Viewports do not necessarily have to be rectangular; they can be odd shaped (polygonal) and they can even be circular.

The number of viewports in a paperspace layout is controlled by the system variable MAXACTVP (maximum active viewports). The default setting is 16. The max value is 64.

Viewports are ideally suited to displaying multiple views of 3D objects.

Viewport scales can be selected from a number of sources including the Viewports toolbar, Properties palette, Quick Properties, or by looking at one's Taskbar after clicking on a viewport frame and choosing from the scale list.

I'm sure there are a couple of things I may have missed. Other forum members are encouraged to add to this list.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• mgervais

• bbankston

• resullins

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ViewportScaleBar2004.PNG

An example of a detail, drawn in model space, and displayed in a viewport.

Look to the right and you'll see the Viewport toolbar. It lists the scale. There are a number of default scales one can choose from just by clicking on the down-pointing arrow. I strongly suggest the use of the Viewport toolbar for assigning a scale. Another option would be to use the Properties palette.

The screenshot was taken from inside AutoCAD 2004.

As far as text used for callouts regarding your machine you have the option of putting it either in model space or in your paper space layout. The same goes for your dimensions. However, because you are using 2004 and do NOT have a feature called Annotative Scaling you will have to do things a bit differently if you decide to put your text/dimensions in model space. The other option of putting your text/dimensions in your layout is pretty straight-forward and it is the one I use about 99% of the time. No matter which one you use I suggest you create a separate layer for text and another for your dimensions.

Can you maybe walk me through creating this viewport? The way im currently doing it is clicking the layout1 tab which is paper space. view --> viewports --> new viewports. It then prompts me to choose from a standard set of viewports i choose single and then it says to specify corner or fit. But this only gives me the option to do a generic rectangle around the drawing in model space. So confused right now

@MGervais: Generally speaking, yes. Layers are incredibly useful and helpful, and anyone that ever sees your drawing is going to expect them.

Your first tip on Layers, don't draw anything on ) or Defpoints.

Can you maybe walk me through creating this viewport? The way im currently doing it is clicking the layout1 tab which is paper space. view --> viewports --> new viewports. It then prompts me to choose from a standard set of viewports i choose single and then it says to specify corner or fit. But this only gives me the option to do a generic rectangle around the drawing in model space. So confused right now

From Remarks earlier post.

Viewports can be created using the MView command.

It's a good idea to put viewports on their own layer and set the layer to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager. This will eliminate the "frame" affect often seen after a plot is made.

So rather than using the menu, although that should work great, type MVIEW at the command line, pick a point, now pick a point diagonal to that one, or said another way, pick lower left then upper right. You will have a viewport in paperspace.

I can't remember what was available for setting scale of viewports in 2004 so I will give you the typist old school method.

You will need to be "in" the viewport, so pick the model button at the bottom of the screen or double click over the viewport, not over the edge but over the area of the viewport. Now to get the viewport to say 1/4" scale you can type

Zoom, 1/48XP, hit enter. (There are (48) 1/4" in a foot, 12/.25 = 48.) 2004 probably has a tool bar for scaling viewports, it has been too long since I used 2004, but that is much easier to use that.

It's the number one mistake most newbies to AutoCAD make. The second most popular mistake is to draw everything on layer "0" then override the layer default color of "white" by assigning colors to different objects with no real plan in mind.

I have layers for my viewports, title block and border, text, dimensions, etc. just to name a few.

The Defpoints layer is created automatically by AutoCAD whenever dimensions are used.

Viewports, as I speak of them, are for use in a layout.

Three options exist for assigning a scale to a viewport in 2004. There are the two I mentioned previously and the one rkent just mentioned: Zoom > Scale nX or nXP. I think you'll find the two I mentioned easier.

so lets say hypothetically i have two different drawings on the same model space tab. Is this poor form too? They each have their own title block too. So now when i do my viewport they both show up instead of just one at a time which id like. I may or may not have done the overriding the color thing with everything on the 0 layer.....

The only thing you did that wasn't quite right was have two title blocks in model space. The effective use of a paper space layout or layouts (yes, you can have more than one layout per drawing file) dictates that your title block and border go in paper space and not in model space.

theres something im missing here. How do i choose what shows up in my view port? I have two different views of the same drawing that i want to show up on separate sheets of paper with their own titleblocks

theres something im missing here. How do i choose what shows up in my view port? I have two different views of the same drawing that i want to show up on separate sheets of paper with their own titleblocks

Go back and read the posts so far, especially #20. Take your time as you have been given the information necessary.

TL/DR: title block goes in Paper Space at true size, if you have a title block of 8.5x11 then it should measure that when it is inserted in PS.

I DID IT!!!!!!!! It took me way to long to understand that process, i think not knowing the lingo is the biggest obstacle. Thanks all for the patience in helping me out. Cant tell you how much i appreciate that you put up with me asking the same things repeatedly. Until the next problem cheers all

mgervais,

A big help to you would be to read the PDF manual that came with your software. I'm familiar with a lot of programs but AutoCAD confused the hell out of me when I first jumped in. Reading the manual helped me tremendously and then I found further help on cadtutor.net. This forum is a huge help in further training/guidance.

I am already blind in one eye. Do you now want to be blind me in the other as well? Please cover your avatar when posting to a thread I am posting in. Thank you.