How to copy objects in layers (together) across drawings using the Design Center?

omynn

I've tried dragging layers across drawings using the design center interface, but what I've noticed is that while the layer in question gets copied over, the layer is empty. The objects within the layer do not get copied over. How do I copy objects AND layers that I've selected across drawings using Autocad Design Center? THANKS!!:D

I'm not sure that is possible to transfer simple entities between drawings using Design Center.

But you are allowed to transfer blocks – so, select all items that reside in the said layer using QSELECT and an appropriate filter, convert everything to a block - it will become available for transfer in Design Center under Blocks category of source drawing. Just exit source drawing without save to get rid of the block from it.

An alternative solution is to copy the above created selection set to Clipboard and switch to the target layer and call PASTEORIG command (from menu Edit).

Welcome to the forum. :)

It sounds like Mircea has sorted you out already with 2 good solutions. :thumbsup:

If you do this a lot, you might be interested in taking a look at this link

http://www.lee-mac.com/steal.html to a very good lisp by Lee Mac for

doing similar things, although I am not sure if it will do what you are asking about.

But it will do lots of other things which might be useful for you.

If not this one, then I am sure you can find something on his site which will make

your life simpler and your work more accurate and efficient.

Thanks Lee! :beer:

What's wrong with LAYISO, COPYBASE, and PASTE? :unsure:

I'm sure that would work too, I've never heard of COPYBASE, seems about the same as PASTEORIGINAL, eh? :beer:

... More on COPYBASE Command.

Here's some simple commands that make my daily life a little bit easier:

(defun c:CB ()
 (command "._copybase")
 (princ))

(defun c:CC ()
 (command "._copybase" '(0 0 0))
 (princ))

(defun c:VV ()
 (command "._pasteclip" '(0 0))
 (princ))