Pipe Networks - Parts List

soozyq

I am having problems creating my pipe network in Civil 3d 2011. A previous employee created a pretty comprehensive list of pipes / structures and I thought I was doing the right thing by dragging and dropping from one of his drawings into my drawing. However I can see the list (in the prospector) in the new drawing but can't do anything with it. I can't edit it or add to it. I get the following error: Unable to edit network part. Required pipe network catalog(s) not set: Metric Pipe Catalog.

I know the parts list was created in a previous version of civil (prob 2009) so I am not sure if that is the problem or if I am missing a step. I set the network catelog but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. I can even see the cad drawings within the catalog (C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2011\enu\Pipes Catalog)

Am I correct in thinking it should be as simple as copying the parts list from another drawing or is there more to it than that?

I would really appreciate anyone's help on this. Unfortunately I am the only one in the office using this program and everything I know so far is from a tutorial.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sooz

You have the right idea by draggin the parts lists over. That is the easy part. haha. Now you have to map to the correct Pipe Catalog.

When the other employee made all the parts it would have been mapped to a different directory than your 2011 Civil 3D.

Re open one of the older drawings that you know worked (Open in 2009). Check that Catalog Directory. Thant will be the one that was modified for the Parts List. I would suggest you copy that one to a general location on the server for all users to refer to.

When you copy it, all you need to do is copy the ENTIRE pipe catalog folder. You will need all of the files within it for it to work.

You have the right idea by draggin the parts lists over. That is the easy part. haha. Now you have to map to the correct Pipe Catalog.

When the other employee made all the parts it would have been mapped to a different directory than your 2011 Civil 3D.

Re open one of the older drawings that you know worked (Open in 2009). Check that Catalog Directory. Thant will be the one that was modified for the Parts List. I would suggest you copy that one to a general location on the server for all users to refer to.

When you copy it, all you need to do is copy the ENTIRE pipe catalog folder. You will need all of the files within it for it to work.

Thanks so much for your help. Thankfully I still have the old hard drive of the computer that he created his pipes on. That has done the trick!!

Much appreciated

Sooz

Bill,

Got anything for merging parts between two (or more) catalogs? :unsure:

Our 'enterprise CAD group' took it upon themselves to remove items from the OOTB catalog, when customizing, so now in order to use, oh, I don't know, Elliptical Concrete Pipe, I have to pull from two different catalogs entirely. :facepalm:

TIA

If none of the parts have the same names you could just copy the individual drawings, XML's, and bmp's into the prespective folders. If the parts validate, Parts Builder will recognize them and they will be added to the catalog.

Then make sure you back it up on a local drive so The Man cant get at it. haha.

I've actually been doing this already, funny you should mention that article as that is what I read months ago to kick off this initiative! LoL My reason for asking such an open ended, ambiguous question was to try and draw new, simpler ways of doing all of this... Looks like I am already on the right path.

Thanks for you time! :beer: