Computer to run Revit. What should I purchase?

wings

My current place of work does not seem to be looking to upgrade to anything beyond basic 2d AutoCAD in the foreseeable future. But, while we sit stagnant, progress continues around me. It seems that a good 80% or more jobs out there are looking people to have Revit experience (or something similar).

For that reason I am looking to purchase Revit program, and a new computer to go along with it.

I would be using this to do work on the side, as well as just to use in order to know the program. I do understand that the program is about 5 grand or so, but will have help paying for it and the computer.

Any thoughts on systems to run the program would be greatly appreciated.

(computer specs, etc.)

This is kind of a big deal to me, and I want to do it right as it may be the base for my own business.

(In th field for almost 20 years and would like to eventually go on my own)

Also, If this thread is in the wrong location, could a mod please move it?

What kind of budget are you working with here?

I'd say generally speaking a Win7 64-bit system with as much physical RAM (and the fastest too) that you can afford, maybe a solid state main drive for programs and a platter drive for data files, and a mid-level graphics card should do the trick. Anything else you want to add?

Cores, must have processor cores. Revit likes to split its processes between cores, or threads. The greater the quantity, and faster per, the better.

What field are you in?

An approximate budget would help.

Keep in mind as newer versions become current specs may not apply, I would shoot for well above current minimum specs for the software. You may also want to see if your budget would allow the purchase of one of the Revit Suites and some Accounting Software if you intend own having your own business.

Cores, must have processor cores. Revit likes to split its processes between cores, or threads. The greater the quantity, and faster per, the better.
Really? I didn't realize Revit did this. Guess it's new but that's awesome!!

On top of Cores, you need RAM, and at the very least a $150-$200 current gaming video accelerator. Certified by Autodesk, of course. :)

Nah, it's been like that for the past few years. AutoCAD doesn't necessarily care about multi-cores, but Revit does. The more threads you have the faster it will run (RAM provided).

I really like my AMD FirePro V5900 video card. Not terribly expensive, but it runs this computer very nicely.

Check my computer specs on the left. My first change would be hyperthreading on my processor, which my Xeon doesn't have.

Yeah. I knew this wouldn't be easy. Sounds like you guys know your stuff, where as my computer literacy is rather 3rd world. I have a feeling there is really no one answer to the loaded question I posed.

Architecture is my field. I am looking to start a modular home design/ build type business with some other people at this point, but that my change.

As far as budget, I guess I will need what the cost of a basic system to run the program will be and go from there. I will most likely be able to secure $1,000-$2500, and possibly more. I like the idea of the suites and accounting software.

Hardware/Software investments will run you $10k easy. Plotter, printer, backup/server/NAS, internet, and any other "overhead" type things will be more. Not to mention pursuit costs in getting work. I run a successful side business (I have a DBA, Tax ID# and everything) but it kills me at times... money is good, yes, but the time you have to put into it is insane at times.

Good luck with all this and I can definitely give you my own personal stresses and rewards if you ever need. ;)

So you could budget that amount just for the hardware alone right?

Correct. Budget for the Revit, and other software is a different source.

Hardware/Software investments will run you $10k easy. Plotter, printer, backup/server/NAS, internet, and any other "overhead" type things will be more. Not to mention pursuit costs in getting work. I run a successful side business (I have a DBA, Tax ID# and everything) but it kills me at times... money is good, yes, but the time you have to put into it is insane at times.

Good luck with all this and I can definitely give you my own personal stresses and rewards if you ever need. ;)

lol. Yup. I understand all of this as well. At this time, I am just looking to get in and run the software on a decent system, and print outside via pdf's, etc. As far as back-up goes, I will just do a poor man's back-up on some local USB drive-Seagate or something similar for now.