akchristian

Hi. I am new to this forum but not necessarily new to cad. I have been working with dynamic blocks lately and I am fascinated with the tool and its capabilities. However, something that I have not been able to figure out and not sure if its this is doable ---->

???Can you make a dynamic block table driven, say from an excel table???

-For example, lets say you have a dynamic block with parameters/actions set up that allow you to set the width, length, height, distance from edge, # of object arrays, etc. Rather than grabbing each grip and specifying the desired dimension, can you make it so the dynamic block is table driven? such as, where you might have a list of desired dimensions (say in excel) and you want to quickly input them into a table in autocad, so that the dynamic block will adjust to those dimensions???

I would say yes and no

as the properties are exposed (you can adjust them with the properties palette) you must be able to drive the block.

It is also possible to use a program (LISP or VB) to drive the block. I know this is possible as I have used VBA to set a few parameters. From this it isn't far from getting VBA to open an excel sheet and get al the required data from there.

However, how you do this simply is a mystery to me.

oh, and I'vejust noticed you have asked this twice. There is no need to post in multiple areas as most of us just check the "new posts" and see each post anyway. Having two threads running can cause confusion as you get diversity in the replies.

Thanks for the reply guys...my mistake for posting it twice, I thought both forums were relevant but I guess it doesn't matter with them both directed to the same forum. apologies.

I know when you display the properties of the block you can input into the 'custom' tab and specify your dimensions, and that is very helpful. Do you think its possible to make use of the lookup function or block properties table to better suit what I'm asking? Those are two functions that I've touched up on a little bit but haven't dove too far into.

Also dbroada, can you give me a little detail on the method you proposed about using those programs. That would be appreciated.

The lookup function will allow you to do this to an extent. It acts similar to a visibility parameter with a drop down menu. It only works with linear, rotational, point and visibility i believe. It is fantastic. I dont have any blocks right now but I will throw a dummy up here tomorrow.

I'm off work for a few days so can't really post anything but I hd a VBA form that was used to insert a simple block. It listed the parameters which you could then fill in on the form and the block would then be inserted to the desired size. It would not be many steps to obtain the size information from an excel table.

I am sure something similar could be done in LISP but I am not a good LISP coder.

Basically I am saying it is possible but I couldn't do it.

I have had imited sucess with look-ups but it seems somebody who has used them is on board now. :)