AutoTurn basic steps please!

andre amzi

Hi.

Can anybody please please give me a very basic steps in Autoturn?

I would really appreciate it.

thanks,

Paul

Welcome to the forum. :)

You know that you made that command name up, right?

I can only imagine that you are looking for the ROTATE command,

which will ROTATE an object about the Z axis of the current view.

This is usually used for 2D objects, but will also work for 3D objects in an orthogonal view.

Remember that rotation in Autocad is counter clockwise, measured from an object's current position

about the BASE POINT which you specify.

This video should help you

There are other commands which are used specifically for rotation about any axis in 3D.

ROTATE3D is the old version, and there is a newer iteration,

which defaults to the 3D Gizmo for definition of axes, that command is 3DROTATE.

This link will take you to the Cadtutor youtube channel video about 3DROTATE and 3DMOVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETsyPMXiTU

If your immediate concern is working in 2D, there is nothing relevant here, this deals with 3D modelspace and manipulations.

Note: I have an old version, so the buttons and commands I describe may not match what you see.

Basic step one: set your vehicle. Open the vehicle window (the truck button on the toolbar). Pick the list for your country. Select the vehicle that is closest to the one you're modeling. You can create your own vehicle, but that's not a basic step. You may want to make a note of the minimum turning radius for your vehicle (press the button on the vehicle screen that looks like a calculator).

Basic step two: determine the path. If you're going to run a simulation, draw a polyline along the center of the vehicle's expected route. Specify the path (the arrow button on the toolbar). Select the end of the polyline close to the beginning of the route. If at all possible, don't include curves with radii smaller than the minimum turn, because the simulation will stall. I draw lines and then use a curved fillet to connect them.

Basic step three: run the path. You can use the polyline from step two to guide the vehicle, and you can display a temporary animation (the film strip button) or a permanent template (the displaced vehicle button).

If you're feeling lucky, you can steer the vehicle yourself with no path. Set the starting point and the starting angle. A vehicle will appear. Use your pointer as the target. The vehicle will turn its front wheels to move towards it, and it will only move when the pointer moves. Remember that, to back up, you have to thread the pointer between the front wheels. Check the small pane to see which direction you're traveling, the threading doesn't always work. Finally, you can steer the path in stages. When you get to a point successfully, left click, and a template will appear between the last point and the current one. If necessary, you can press the Undo button and go back to the previous point. Once you're done, right click.

That is a good explanation Cyber Angel :)

If you're feeling lucky, you can steer the vehicle yourself with no path. Set the starting point and the starting angle. A vehicle will appear. Use your pointer as the target. The vehicle will turn its front wheels to move towards it, and it will only move when the pointer moves. Remember that, to back up, you have to thread the pointer between the front wheels. Check the small pane to see which direction you're traveling, the threading doesn't always work.

I remember a few years back when I first found out how to use this feature a colleague and I setup a racetrack-esque circuit to drive around on and see who could do better :lol:

Just because Autoturn says it works doesn't mean the truckers will not refuse to do it, we had a "T" narrow lane road submitted planning application, truck layout said they could drive up reverse down "T" drive back reverse out of narrow lane, WOW super truck driver ! 40 tonne semi in 20' lane