Why qselecting by color doesn't select anything in the attached file?

khoshravan

In the atatched file, I am trying to qselect all objects with color 10(red).

Details are as follows: Applyto: Entire drawing, Object type: Multiple, Properties: Color, Operator: Equals, Value:Color10 and Include in new selection set.

It doesn't select anything (0 items selected). What is wrong with procedure?

1.dwg

As those lines are not set to colour '10', they are set to 'By layer'.

Aha!?. Very interesting. So if the layer's color is red (10) then qselect will not interpret the line's color as red (10)?

This means that color is something different than color by layer. Have I understand it correctly?

You may attach the color to an entity either explicitly (a color from indexed colors or true colors palette) or logically (by layer or by block) when the entity will take the color of container layer, respectively block. When define a filter or criteria for selection AutoCAD will validate only the color (explicit or logical) but will no go deeper to check the color of container (layer of block) for items with logical color.

Not sure if you can define a complex filter to identify items that either have a said color or, if the color is logical – by layer, reside in layers that have that color.

When define a filter or criteria for selection AutoCAD will validate only the color (explicit or logical) but will no go deeper to check the color of container (layer of block) for items with logical color.

I think your reply is in contrast to Dink reply. Qselect didn't accept the color criteria if it comes from 'Bylayer'. Dink mentioned this and it is correct. When I define a criteria based on color, those red lines are not selected but when I define a criteria based on layer, those red lines are selected. Your explanation is in odd to Dink's one which is acceptable to me. Please clarify the point if I am missing something.

Not sure if you can define a complex filter to identify items that either have a said color or, if the color is logical – by layer, reside in layers that have that color.

This sentence makes stuff more complicated and it is beyond my ACAD knowledge to digest. I will assume in qselect if colors are defined 'bylayer' then I can't select those objects by color criteria and I should use layer property to select them.

If you have any easy-to-understand comments, I am eager to read them.

I'd like to believe that my replay is addition to @Dink87522 and not in contrast with it. What I tried to do was to help you understand the way the color feature works in AutoCAD.

This sentence makes stuff more complicated and it is beyond my ACAD knowledge to digest. I will assume in qselect if colors are defined 'bylayer' then I can't select those objects by color criteria and I should use layer property to select them.

I'm sorry I could not make myself understood - maybe this diagram will clarify the projected filter.

qfilter.gif

For sure this can be easily achieved with an AutoLISP routine, but you stated in the other thread that don't want such solution.

I'm sorry I could not make myself understood - maybe this diagram will clarify the projected filter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36185[/ATTACH]

For sure this can be easily achieved with an AutoLISP routine, but you stated in the other thread that don't want such solution.

The flowchart you provided is very easy to understand and I think you use it for making LISP routines, which I really lack. If the flowchart you draw could be achieved in a non-LISP manner, it would be great.

If the flowchart you draw could be achieved in a non-LISP manner, it would be great.

Sorry, but I really don't know if this can be/how can be achieved inside AutoCAD built-in advanced selection tools FILTER or QSELECT.

Sorry, but I really don't know if this can be/how can be achieved inside AutoCAD built-in advanced selection tools FILTER or QSELECT.

No problem. This is an advantage for people who knows LISP. bMaybe that is a reason I have to learn LISP to broaden my horizon.