Help me regarding 3d modeling and get the volume

naval_julius

hello everyone, i have a project that needs to get the volume of the certain of the hull of a boat. from 2D i use align command to get the 3D form of the hull. then i to get the shape/surface i use loft command. i am doing it right? but from the moment i tried to get the volume using massprop command it says, "no solid or region selected" see attached picture. and also as i tried to use the m2s.lsp it says "not a polygon mesh".

I really do appreciate guys if you all can help me with this matter, i've been doing this for 1 days but still im going no were. also, the non-coplanar thing i always encounter.

can you teach me step by step to get the volume of the hull? i really do appreciate it..... thanks guys in advance.....

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by CADTutor
Email address removed

To get the volume you will have to create a solid. I believe you may have a series of surfaces. You could try using the THICKEN command then UNION the pieces together.

Edited by ReMark

Float-a-boat.jpg

From upper left to lower right.

I started with plain lines and arcs. I extruded the sides to create surfaces but used the CONVTOSURFACE command to create the bottom. I assembled them (multi-colored object) and used the THICKEN command on all the pieces. Finally I UNIONed them to create the finished (magenta) boat. It ain't pretty but I think it might float.:lol: Look more like a bathtub doesn't it?:unsure:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36320[/ATTACH]

From upper left to lower right.

I started with plain lines and arcs. I extruded the sides to create surfaces but used the CONVTOSURFACE command to create the bottom. I assembled them (multi-colored object) and used the THICKEN command on all the pieces. Finally I UNIONed them to create the finished (magenta) boat. It ain't pretty but I think it might float.:lol: Look more like a bathtub doesn't it?:unsure:

Mortician to the coneheads? :beer:

Are you trying to model from an existing 2D drawing?

It sounds like you are, as opposed to just winging it, making it up as you go.

If you do have a reasonable 2D drawing, what information is on it?

A series of cross sections perhaps, across the width of your vessel would be most helpful, you say that you used the LOFT command,

so I am thinking you may have those.

I assume you are interested in the displacement volume - so don't model exactly like real boat (with sidewall thickness and open). Model as completely solid.

Might be as simple as patching the top and sculpt to get the solid.

Hi Every one,

You can try Thicken command to covert your hull in solid. "]

I think that was already suggested in the first response.

The OP will have to continue the discussion to come to the best resolution of the problem.

oops ! sorry just read a post JD an other command is SUROFFSET with Solid option. It work more efficiently than thicken.

Surf Tab/Create/Surfoffset