Problems with light meter

nowikovs12

Hello everyone,

I am having problems with the light meter. When I select it, nothing happens. I have mental ray enabled, but it is not coming up and I can’t use it.

I have just looked in to it and find out that I am missing “Image overlay effect” from the effects. This is the error I am receiving from “lighting analysis assistant”.

When I select from menu the lighting analysis -> Lighting analysis image overlay, it prompts me with the error provided bellow.

Any ideas? How come I am missing this effect? What can I do to retrieve it?

Using 3ds max 2013,

thank you,

all the best,

Untitled-2.jpg

Hello Cad64,

yes, I have read that documentation regarding to advanced lighting, and that was the first time I came across this issue, as I was fallowing the instructions and was not able to use the tools. This pdf was listed in my 3ds max help menu. This time I was fallowing the book by Jennifer O' Connor, mastering mental ray, and there was nothing mentioned that you can't use the lighting analysis with 3dsMax, she writes - you can create light meter by selecting lighting Analysis -> Create -> Light Meter. In 3dsmax 2013, for me personally, lighting analysis were not listed on the tools bar, so I added it from the custom UI, and was able to access all the tools mentioned in the book.

If the lighting analysis tools are only available in 3ds Max design, then how come they are listed and accessible in the -> Customize user Interface -> menus for 3ds max? As a teaser?

I can access the lighting analysis assistant, and it clearly identifies the errors which need to be resolved, once resolved it gave one more error regarding to the - image overlay effect, which I don't have.

I just don't understand, if you can't use these utilities, why are they listed and made accessible in the program that doesn't "have" it?

I don't know, but it's clearly stated in that link I provided that the Exposure technology is available in 3D Studio Max Design only.

It's quite possible that the reason this feature is not working for you is because you don't have the necessary "image overlay effect" which may only be available in 3DS Max Design? This is just a guess on my part though.

Let me know if you ever get it figured out.

It's just that I downloaded the 3dsMax design version , sniffed around the program, very much the same, and the light meter is available on the spot, was thinking, maybe it's possible to copy the missing effect in 3ds max directory and this would allow to use the light meter and tool in 3ds max :huh:

thank for your reply again mate ;)

That's probably because you're using 3ds Max 2007. You'll notice the link I provided was for 3ds Max Design 2009, which I believe was the first version to have this technology.