Help on moving an object

llVeXXll

Hi I am totally new to 3ds max. The first problem I have encountered is that when I try to move the object I have created (by clicking the move tool in the top icon) the axis don't turn yellow and don't allow me to select/ drag/ click on them in order to move the object, this is only happening in the perspective view, I can move it fine in the other views. Also, I know this is a really stupid question, but I can't seem to select my object. When I click on it the outline goes deep pink, but how do I make the outline go white- again only in perspective view, can select it fine in other views.?

I have spent all day trying to find decent tutorials but my web searching skill suck and I was wondering if there are any tutorials (be it written or video) that anyone here recommends that thoroughly go through the basics? Most of the time with new programs I find it's just a simple stupid mistake like I accidentally pressed a key on the keyboard which hides some sort of menu or something like that. Nothing that I am watching/ reading on tutorials seems to be the same when I look at MY screen! :(

Edited by llVeXXll

The "X" key on your keyboard toggles the display of the transform gizmo. Hit it once and the gizmo will be hidden, therefore, no axis arrows. Hit "X" again to bring the gizmo display back.

If the outline of your object goes pink when you click on it, that tells me you are in "Element" selection mode. It also tells me that you have polygon display disabled. Hit F2 on your keyboard to display the full polygon selection on your model. If you want the object outline to be white when you select it, click out of "Element" selection mode and then select your object.

There are lots of free tutorials in the links I've posted here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?29434-***Free-Max-Tutorials***

If you want some professional in-depth training, to learn the basics of the program, I would suggest purchasing some DVD training videos from companies like digital tutors, the gnomon workshop, Eat3D or Lynda.