My first model using 3DS max modeling for games book, chap 2 - help needed

AlienBZ

Ok then, get started. :thumbsup:

If you need help with anything, just come back and start asking questions. Just be sure to start a new thread for each new question. ;)

Ok, I'm going to start with Chapter 2: Creating, Unwrapping & Texturing Simple Models from the 3DS max for games book that came earlier today, starting with Model 1: Cardboard Box, but in order to really learn the material I'd like to use this tut from the book to create my own unique model, like say, a book or a gaily wrapped Christmas gift for example (this is how I taught myself photoshop, by following the tuts in the classroom in a book from Adobe as applying to my own unique situation rather than the situation that was presented in the tut) since a book/Christmas present have the same basic shape as the box but a different color.

I understand from reading the first chapter of this book that I'll have to get digital photos of say, Christmas gift wrap wallpaper, book cover, in order to use the texture maps for the rendered model. I have a digital SLR camera, its a Nikon D3000 which I bought in late 2010 brand new from Best Buy.

I'm assuming that I'm going to have to go around the house photographing (in full color) the flat surfaces (wall, door panel design, wood grain surfaces, etc) and for the texture surfaces that we don't have around the house, maybe I can go on the google > images > free images domain to d/l these other images of texture surfaces that I'll be needing for my models.

if any of these images happen to be the wrong color, I can just change the color in photoshop, save it, etc, then import the image to 3DS max, Ok, is the method of getting my own texture maps correct, or if not, what do I have to do?

Suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. As I have planned a series of 2 movies (be they clips or full movies) of my life testimonies so far for the beginning (my legal name change testimony and my conversion to Christianity testimony as well as a third: moving back home from a halfway house) not necessarily in this order.

I have already d/l a photo of fluted concrete block (which is the outside structure of the Baptist church where I was converted into Christianity and had started my Bible study lessons from March 2002 to April 2005) for my model of this Baptist church for the conversion to Christianity movie, and I have a copy of the original book itself (it was the exact same copy of the book that I had borrowed from the bookmobile when I did my name change) but this book I now have is a copy that I bought off of Amazon.com a couple of months ago.

I believe I might have some digital/35mm photos of this baptist church backed up on a disc somewhere in my office for use/reference when modeling the church, as well as photos of this halfway house (both interior & outside building structure).

Actually, I'd like to create/render this halfway house (both its outside & interior structure) as to look like it came out of the Dark Ages of history (this was the atmosphere/feeling I got about the stigma that was attached to it by society at large several months before I left that place for good and moved back home) - so how do I make a building (outdoor or indoor structure) look like it came out of the Dark Ages?

And how do I create/render the church (and bookmobile) to make them look like they came from the coolest Star Trek/Star Wars movies you ever saw?

Thanks in advance.

An idea I have for the bookmobile is instead of it being a bus-type of motor vehicle, it can be a space ship/shuttle vehicle with collapsible wings/no wings at all but look more like a cruise ship - I'd go for the cruise ship exterior structure/space shuttle of this bookmobile, what do you suggest and how do I start modeling these?

The first thing you need to do is come up with some concept sketches. You need to know what you're building before you can build it. So get out some paper and start drawing. Draw the bookmobile/space ship/shuttle from top view, front, side, bottom and back and add all the detail you want to incorporate in the model. Once you have the drawings done you will need to scan them or take photos of them so you can use them as reference in Studio Max for building the model.

Here's a tutorial to show you what I mean: