Covert a 3D Model file (.stp) to a 2D .dwg file

HaroldSJS

This has probably been asked before, but if it has, can you please direct me to the thread?

I am a new user to AutoDesk 2013. I have a bunch of .stp files, which I would like to convert to 2D .dwg s, which have all dimensions, as part of the. Is there a plug-in, or a stand alone software package, which can read the .stp, and extrapolate the embedded dimensions?

Again, I would imagine this has been asked many times before. Sorry for the redundancy! Can you direct me to the answer?http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

Thanks!

Import the part.

Go to paperspace layout.

Run viewbase command.

No plug-in or 3rd party software needed.

Attach your *.stp file here if you can't figure it out.

BTW - Autodesk is a company, not a product. I guess first we need to verify what Autodesk product you are using (I think there are around 50 Autodesk products).

Hmmm, I see your profile says Inventor. Are you using Inventor or are you using AutoCAD (you posted your question in the AutoCAD area of the forum, not the Inventor area)?

In Autodesk Inventor product -

Open the file.

Save (as a part file *.ipt).

Start a new drawing file (*.dwg).

Place views of the part file *.ipt in the drawing file *.dwg.

Think of the *.ipt as the real world part.

Think of the *.dwg as the real world sheet of paper.

You must have missed this day of class in your training on this professional program.

Thanks for the help!

No I did not miss any training!

I am using someone else's computer, and I have a bad habit of taking on impossibly large challenges, and teaching myself how to solve them.

In this particular case, I decided to teach myself AutoDesk.

My philosophy on these projects is; all buildings are built one piece at a time. We don't put up a large skyscraper in a week or two. Don't look at the whole project, just each part. Be happy that you learned how that part works in the general scheme of things, and move on to the next part. Before you know it, you have mastered many parts, and can look back, and feel a sense of accomplishment that you did something difficult that others would not dare to try.

Just waxing philosophical!

Wax on...wax off.

So, have you at least gotten the part into AutoCAD yet?

You will want to be in a 3D Modeling workspace. Look on the Annotate tab, Drawing Views panel of the Ribbon. The command is listed as Base View on the panel. The views are created in your paper space layout.

You can always import the STP file into AutoCAD and then run the flatshot command to produce a 2D drawing of the part(s). You might have to explode the part once it is in AutoCAD. I just tried in 2013 with a STP I downloaded of a fan and it seems to work well enough.

STP%20to%202D-DWG.jpg

Shoot back if you need more assistance ;)

Sean

f700es, What I want is the .dwg to have all dimensions, like a 2D file would have. Your example does not have any dimensions. Also, my 3D .stp files are not assemblies or models. They are individual component parts.

Thanks for the help!

No I did not miss any training!

In this particular case, I decided to teach myself AutoDesk.

You must have missed my previous response.

Autodesk is a company, not a software product.

What Autodesk software product are you using? (I recommend that you concentrate on learing one at a time. The second one will be easier, then the third one... ).

If you verify what Autodesk software you are using - I can walk you step-by-step through the process of 3D - to - dimensioned 2D.

Better yet - attach one of your STEP files here to use as the example.

So Easy! So Logical!

(I can tell you that I won't be suggesting Flatshot command.)

Sorry, you are quite correct, AutoDesk is a software company!

I am using; Inventor Fusion 2013, which is one of their products.

I am using; Inventor Fusion 2013, which is one of their products.

You posted your question in the AutoCAD forum.

Inventor Fusion is a FREE "product" with limited functionality. http://labs.autodesk.com

One of the limits in Fusion - no 2D drawings.

Students can get Inventor Professional (along with most other Autodesk products, over $100k USD value) for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

Seemed like a simple enough approach to me. He asked for 2D dwgs

"I have a bunch of .stp files, which I would like to convert to 2D .dwg s"

not a layout with 2d views. Maybe that is what he wanted maybe not. Seems like he has some options now at least. ;)

Options for extracting 2D view from 3D models are:

1. Flatshot

2. SectionPlane

3. SolProf

4. SolView/SolDraw

5. View Base

I'd try option 5 first.

Options for extracting 2D view from 3D models are:

5. View Base

I'd try option 5 first.

First the OP will have to obtain AutoCAD (indicated using Inventor Fusion).

It does come with AutoCAD 2012 and above as well. My copies did. The OP might have to ask the user of the PC that he is using what he has available.