defining drawing limits

badlander

my professor in college wants me to define my drawing limits to 120' wide*90' high, how do i do that? im using autocad 2013 Lt
You can set this by typing LIMITS at the command line. Here's a link to help: http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadlt/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-4a5b.htm

For the record, once you're done with this task, you'll never use this feature ever again (in the real world that is). Oh and welcome to the forum. ;)

www.jpgthanks for thew feedback but is there anyway you can explain a little to where i need to start with the limit i dont understand

Type the word LIMITS at the command line then press the ENTER key. Now look at the command line. You are being asked for X,Y limits with 0'-0",0'-0" as the lower left hand coordinate. Accept the default. For the upper right hand coordinate type in 120',90' then press ENTER. This assumes you have already set your UNITS to architectural. Follow up by doing a ZOOM > ALL.

Good description ReMark.

@badlander: Don't let the LIMITS confuse you. It's simply an "imaginary perimeter", if you will. The Grid in the drawing area, when turned on and these LIMITS are set, will stop at the defined LIMITS from (X,Y) 0,0 and (X,Y) 120',90'. I will reiterate, follow the LIMITS for the lesson but don't let yourself get stuck on LIMITS. :)

In your book, where it says "Locate lower left corner of front view at position 0,0" simply means the lower left corner of the lot will start at the X,Y coordinate of 0,0 - also known as the "Origin". If you start the LINE command, and before you start drawing on the screen, you can type 0,0 at the command line and it will begin the LINE at the origin of the drawing.

I have taught AutoCAD for nearly 20 years.

Type Limits and hit Enter

Type Off and hit Enter

you will not need limits (this is a holdover from well into the last century when computers were so slow you could go get a cup a of coffee after doing a zoom while the screen regenerated).

I am kind of surprised any professor is bothering with this.

I assume if your professor is using limits, you are also expected to use Grid.

I turned that off in '87 of the last century. Haven't counted dots since the second grade.

I have taught AutoCAD for nearly 20 years.

Type Limits and hit Enter

Type Off and hit Enter

I turned that off in '87 of the last century. Haven't counted dots since the second grade.

Variously described as '87 in the last millenium?

After having done it, you might inquire of your professor how they will help you?

In light of the fact that you are a student, I am curious why you are using 2013 LT?

As a student, you can download Autocad 2013 (the full version) for free, from the Autodesk site.

I see absolutely no advantage to learning on a stripped down version of the software. :)

I should think that your professor would have explained this to all of the students in the class.

Edited by Dadgad

my professor in college wants me to define my drawing limits to 120' wide*90' high, how do i do that? im using autocad 2013 Lt

Why ever does he want you to use this.

I am no expert, but when I started to use AutoCad I could never understand why anybody would use this stupid feature, it's relic from the past.

D

Why ever does he want you to use this.

I am no expert, but when I started to use AutoCad I could never understand why anybody would use this stupid feature, it's relic from the past.

D

Why is the professor teaching it? Because it's in the book. Maybe the college doesn't have the funding to provide or update the books or have full versions of the software. Yes the STUDENT can get the educational version for free but the schools "may" have to pay for it if they are charging students to take the classes.

Then again how many times have we see someone with 2-3 years as a user ask about the message they get "outside the dwg limits" when they work in a dwg from someone else, then when it's explained to them they reply "Why didn't my teachers cover that in class?".

Why is the professor teaching it? Because it's in the book.

Looking at the page image supplied - can't be sure, but that looks like instructor generated material.

In the end (of class that is) I do show my students limits and grid and explain a couple of possible uses, but it has always bothered me that many, if not all, books cover this up front as the way to go.

Students that come into my class having already been taught to use limits and grid take a couple of weeks to catch up to the others.