Trying to create a gift-wrapped box (first modeling project) - help, please?

AlienBZ

I'm still using the 3DS max modeling for games book, chapter 2 where they have you create a cardboard box and something else (I forgot what it was, can't think of it offhand) in the second project of this chapter. And I feel that if I use my own textures (Star Wars Yoda images) in place of the chapter's cardboard shipping box's textures, I'll be really learning the material from the book b/c I'm applying it to my own unique situation, so could you guys please bear with me?

Ok, so far, I've created a box in 3DS max, I've imported the Star Wars Yoda images (2 of them) into the 3DS max', I believe that might be the unwrap unwrap UVW interface IIRC, but I really think it was just the textures interface where these rows of balls are shown in the top part of that interface (this is where I'm stuck, I cannot advance thru the tut any farther), and I've tried in vain to place this Yoda image onto the 6 faces of this box that I've made. I'm following the instructions from chapter 2 in the book, which says to "select the material ID (from the material editor) and load the texture onto the 6 faces of the box" - how exactly do I do this? :?

Btw, that book from Philadelphia finally came the other day, its the "3DS max 6 animation and visual effects techniques" book from Barnes & Noble's website's used book store, and I resorted to trying to use the tut that's on pg. 455 "using unwrap uvw to make a map for a head" steps from the book from Philadelphia since I was stumped on how to apply the Yoda texture to my box faces using the tut from the 3DS max game modeling book, so in this max 6 animation book from Philly I tried following these steps from the tut on pg. 455 where it says "load the UV map file (whatever that is? :?) > select the head in front view, click hide unselected (which I did) > open the modify tab panel (Where is this panel in my 3DS max, and how exactly do I get to it - searched everywhere for this in vain) and apply an unwrap uvw modifier to the head (which in my case, this is that box/gift-wrapped box I've made so far)"? :?

The parts from both books where I've tried applying the texture to my box model so far I've highlighted them in bold and underlined them so they'd be easy for you guys to spot.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cad64

• AlienBZ

• Dadgad

• spittle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've moved your question to the 3Ds max section. This is the 2nd time I've had to do this for you. You really need to post your questions in the correct area of the forum. The Autocad guys don't know anything about Studio Max, so they're not going to be able to answer your questions. And I won't see your question if you don't post it in the Max section. I just happened to stumble on to it by accident, otherwise I wouldn't have known that you posted it.

open the modify tab panel (Where is this panel in my 3DS max, and how exactly do I get to it - searched everywhere for this in vain) and apply an unwrap uvw modifier to the head

See below. This is the Modify panel

Scroll through the "Modifier List" to find the "unwrap uvw modifier".

Modify.jpg

Modifier tab is On the right by default. First one is create, next is modify and here you have the drop down menu to select a modifier.

If you're just mapping a box, try UV map modifier instead of the UVW unwrap.

Stick your bitmap image into diffuse of your Shader ( hit m to create new one), apply it to your box. Hit render, if you don't see your image mapped correctly then there's an option in box primitive, UV map modifier and material editor which says 'real world map size', pretty obvious what this does.

Ok, so far, I've created a box in 3DS max, I've imported the Star Wars Yoda images (2 of them) into the 3DS max', I believe that might be the unwrap unwrap UVW interface IIRC, but I really think it was just the textures interface where these rows of balls are shown in the top part of that interface (this is where I'm stuck, I cannot advance thru the tut any farther), and I've tried in vain to place this Yoda image onto the 6 faces of this box that I've made. I'm following the instructions from chapter 2 in the book, which says to "select the material ID (from the material editor) and load the texture onto the 6 faces of the box" - how exactly do I do this? :?

You load textures through the Material Editor, not the Unwrap UVW interface. Once you have a texture loaded into a material slot, select your cardboard box and then hit the little "Assign Material to Selection" button. This will apply the material to your object. In order to see your material on the object in the viewport, hit the little "Show Standard Map in Viewport" button.

Materials.jpg

I feel that if I use my own textures (Star Wars Yoda images) in place of the chapter's cardboard shipping box's textures, I'll be really learning the material from the book b/c I'm applying it to my own unique situation

I would really recommend that you follow the tutorials in the book, word for word, before trying to freelance and do things your own way. It's very important that you learn the correct way to do things before venturing off on your own. And as you can see, trying to use your own textures has gotten you off track already.

I resorted to trying to use the tut that's on pg. 455 "using unwrap uvw to make a map for a head" steps from the book from Philadelphia since I was stumped on how to apply the Yoda texture to my box faces using the tut from the 3DS max game modeling book

Start at the beginning and work your way through each chapter. Don't skip ahead to advanced topics. You need to learn the basics first.

Ok, will do. But what I don't understand is, I thought I was already posting in the 3DS max beginner's forum as I've never used 3DS max before so doesn't this make me a beginner, only started using it last week, so what's the difference, is there an AutoCAD beginner's forum and a 3DS max forum or what? :?

Since I'm new to this forum I don't really know my way around here.

EDIT - Oh, I see - by scrolling farther down the page I discovered that you're right, Cad64, I was posting in the AutoCAD beginner's forum and I've also found that yes, there is both an autoCAD beginner's forum and a 3DS max beginner's forum. So sorry I haven't discovered this before.

Also, I hope these 3DS max 6 books that I've ordered are still valid as per your recommendation that that I start at the beginning and work my way thru each chapter in each of these books, Cad64?

Edited by AlienBZ

Ok, will do. But what I don't understand is, I thought I was already posting in the 3DS max beginner's forum as I've never used 3DS max before so doesn't this make me a beginner, only started using it last week, so what's the difference, is there an AutoCAD beginner's forum and a 3DS max forum or what? :?

Since I'm new to this forum I don't really know my way around here.

EDIT - Oh, I see - by scrolling farther down the page I discovered that you're right, Cad64, I was posting in the AutoCAD beginner's forum and I've also found that yes, there is both an autoCAD beginner's forum and a 3DS max beginner's forum. So sorry I haven't discovered this before.

Also, I hope these 3DS max 6 books that I've ordered are still valid as per your recommendation that that I start at the beginning and work my way thru each chapter in each of these books, Cad64?

Stand before you walk.

Walk before you run.

Glide before you soar.

In whatever field or endeavor, take it one step at a time.

Curiosity drives us, but there is no substitute for knowledge. :|

found that the book from philly has a cd included in it that contains reference image and movie files for chapters 3 - 17 and chapter 16 contains an archive directory with 3 image sequences of over 1 thousand frames that are for use in the combustion 3 visual effects tut - does my 3ds max have combustion and reactor included in it?

Won't all these images/movies/image sequences (from the Philly book's CD) load into my 2011 version of 3ds max?

I did it! I did it! I finally did it! :D Cad64, would you believe it - I was up all night last night, and I just succeeded in putting the Yoda texture onto my first box (which is a bit smaller than this one), and just for the joy of it, I created this, bigger box and I again successfully put this same Yoda texture onto it.

Look (see attachment) -

My first model - Yoda gift box.jpg

Thanks. Incidentally, my gift wrapped box looks sorta like a wooden/metal/steel block that has pre-cut squares of Yoda gift wrap glued onto its faces more than it looks like a gaily wrapped cardboard gift box covered with Yoda paper - how exactly do I create the "folds" and crinkles of the wrapping paper as well as the gift wrap ribbons with a elegant bow to refine my model?

And Cad64, did you notice these questions that I asked earlier in this thread about the CD files from that book from Philly - I was wondering why you hadn't answered my questions about that book/its accompanying CD or my questions about Reactor and Combustion? :?

There are no employees here on the CADTutor forum, all forum members volunteer their time and expertise, without hope of recompense.

Some of us even try to maintain real lives outside of our virtual altruism; families, responsibilities, jobs, days off, weekends ... the whole ball of wax!

Glad you feel like you are making some headway.

Please be patient.

Don't forget to sleep at least every couple of days. :)

Thanks, Dadgad. As for the second project in the game modeling book for chapter 2, I'm working on it now - its a plastic barrel with a lid. I'd like to design it to be a red Biological Hazard waste container from a college biology lab, but I'm having a bit of trouble. Here's my image of this barrel so far.

As you can see, my barrel is sort of twisted out of shape although I tried to follow the tut from the book, it seems like my edges won't line up smoothly/evenly no matter what I do, at times some of the vertices won't move at all even though I selected them (they alternate between blue/red/blue & won't budge), the black cut-away pattern (supposed to be a barrel hollowing out guide) won't move to the front of the barrel nor the top of the barrel, it stays stuck on the bottom and on the opposite side areas no matter how I move it/the barrel no matter how I try moving these objects, so I flipped my barrel upside down, saved my work so far and decided to come here for help.

This barrel and the gift box I created so far is hopefully to be used in a movie of my own creation using 3DS max and animation to show my testimonies of the victories I've had in my life so far so other people can watch these DVD movies (after I burn movies to DVD).

How do I fix all of these barrel mistakes (as mentioned)?

My Biohazard waste barrel.jpg

Having never used 3ds MAX, my only advice would be to reread the instructions from start to finish, and resist the urge to wing it, as CAD64 stated in an earlier post.

If you sense that there is a problem, address it immediately, don't go to the next step until you are reasonably sure that what you have done previously is correct.

There is a logical progression that needs to be followed.

It does look like you have elected to use a PERSPECTIVE view, which seems (based on Autocad experience) to be inappropriate.

I am also curious how, or why your UCS (as evidenced by the GRID) seems to be rotated to a nonstandard (WCS) UCS.

Have you ever asked someone to follow you to a friend's house, or a place that you knew, only to find that the person who is meant to be following you decides to pass you?

It is much more difficult to lead someone who is in front of you, unless of course it is your intention to go backwards.

One step at a time, let the teacher teach, be a good student. :)

And Cad64, did you notice these questions that I asked earlier in this thread about the CD files from that book from Philly - I was wondering why you hadn't answered my questions about that book/its accompanying CD or my questions about Reactor and Combustion? :?

No, I didn't see that post. I just checked in quickly yesterday morning and saw that you had successfully created the box and applied the texture to it.

As I stated previously in this thread, or maybe it was your other thread, the books you ordered will be fine for learning the basics of 3ds Max, but you really need to find some books that are relevant to your version of Max in order to learn everything that has been added to the program since version 6, which is quite a lot. Version 6 was released way back in 2003.

does my 3ds max have combustion and reactor included in it?

Yes, your version of Studio Max has Reactor. You can locate it in the Utilities panel.

No, Studio Max does not include Combustion. In fact, as of February 1st, 2011, Combustion no longer exists. This is one of the reasons you should be using books that are relevant to your version of Max. An alternative to Combustion would be the Adobe After Effects program: http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects.html

my gift wrapped box looks sorta like a wooden/metal/steel block that has pre-cut squares of Yoda gift wrap glued onto its faces more than it looks like a gaily wrapped cardboard gift box covered with Yoda paper - how exactly do I create the "folds" and crinkles of the wrapping paper as well as the gift wrap ribbons with a elegant bow to refine my model?

You're trying to run before you even know how to crawl. As I said before. Start with chapter 1 and work your way through to the end of the book. Do all of the tutorials, as you are instructed. No freelancing. Making folds and crinkles and ribbons and bows are all advanced topics and something you should not be concerning yourself with at this point. It would be very time consuming for me to put together tutorials on how to do such things, and as Dadgad mentioned, we are all volunteers here, with jobs and lives outside of the forum. I'm sorry but I just don't have time to put together customized tutorials. I have my own projects to deal with.

I will continue to try and help as much as I can but you really need to stick to the tutorials in the book right now. Studio Max is a very complicated program with a steep learning curve. So just keep working through the book and post questions if you get stuck on something.

As you can see, my barrel is sort of twisted out of shape although I tried to follow the tut from the book, it seems like my edges won't line up smoothly/evenly no matter what I do, at times some of the vertices won't move at all even though I selected them (they alternate between blue/red/blue & won't budge), the black cut-away pattern (supposed to be a barrel hollowing out guide) won't move to the front of the barrel nor the top of the barrel, it stays stuck on the bottom and on the opposite side areas no matter how I move it/the barrel no matter how I try moving these objects, so I flipped my barrel upside down, saved my work so far and decided to come here for help.

I don't know what the book is telling you to do, but as a beginner, you should not be working in Perspective mode until you get your head wrapped around the idea of the 3 dimensional workspace. It takes some time to get to grips with that, so for now, I would recommend that you set up your display with 4 viewports, (Top, Left, Front and Perspective).

There are a couple different ways to configure your viewport display, but the easiest way to explain would be for you to go to the "Views" menu and click "Viewport Configuration". Once the configuration window is open, click the "Layout" tab and select the "4" viewport display as shown in the image below.

You should do all of your work in the Top, Left and Front viewports and just use the Perspective viewport to rotate around and view your model. Once you get comfortable with 3 dimensional space, then you can start working straight in the Perspective viewport, but for now, I would advise against it.

Delete the twisted barrel and start over by working in the standard viewports I mentioned.

Viewports.jpg

It does look like you have elected to use a PERSPECTIVE view, which seems (based on Autocad experience) to be inappropriate.

I am also curious how, or why your UCS (as evidenced by the GRID) seems to be rotated to a nonstandard (WCS) UCS.

It looks that way because he has his display set to "Perspective". If he switches to "Orthographic" display, or "Top" or "Bottom" it won't looked skewed like that. It will be a straight shot looking at the end of the barrel.

views.jpg