Trying to create a gift-wrapped box (first modeling project) - help, please?

AlienBZ

Ok. Er, I just wanted to tell you guys, this is the first time I've worked with a 3D modeling program, thank you very much for your kind help/advice. Just about the only modeling program I'm familiar with is Adobe photoshop, I first started using this in late 2005/early 2006, and before photoshop I was using a photo editing program called "Picture It99"

My first photo editing program I've ever used

which I started using in late 1998/99, IIRC, and before getting this, I used to cut pictures out of magazines, glue them on construction paper to make collages, and when I used to do it that way (which was off the computer), my characters/character's body parts/faces, scenery objects, etc, where out of proportion, and I recall very clearly my folks telling me once when I did one of these collages (making a boy working with a chemistry set, boy was wearing a superman costume) the boy's hands appeared to look like a gorilla's hands, although they were a close up photo of human hands cut from a magazine).

Since then, my workmanship starting with Picture it 99 (first few collage projects with this were almost the same in appearance as the magazine cut out collages when I first started using PI 99 when I first got it in 1998/99), but over time, my collages steadily improved to the point of being able to create a realistic looking alien from photos of different body parts (wearing clothes, of course) and the alien's torso from a pillow that had a shirt topped by a robe that had a front opening so that it appeared as a long shirt that reached down to the calves when the wearer in in a standing position) according to my folks in the summer on 2008, and I'd assume its the same thing with modeling in 3DS Max, am I correct in assuming this?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cad64

• AlienBZ

• Dadgad

• spittle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd assume its the same thing with modeling in 3DS Max, am I correct in assuming this?

What are you assuming? Are you asking if practice makes perfect? If so, then yes. The more you work with the program, the better you will get.

I've taught myself how to use probably 2 dozen different 2D and 3D programs over the last 20 years or so, including Autocad, 3DS Max, ZBrush, Mudbox, Modo, Vue, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. And I did it all by reading books, watching training DVD's and practice, practice, practice.

With all that self-training experience under my belt, I do consider myself to be an expert in the art of home schooling, so when I tell you that you need to follow the tutorials in the book, word for word, without any deviation, it's for a very good reason. Once you work through a few tutorials, you will start to understand the program and you will be able to take what you've learned and apply it towards your own projects. But you have to follow the tutorials, step by step. As I've said before, Studio Max is a very challenging program and there is a lot to learn. It's not like Photoshop where you can get up and running within a few days and then just continue to learn as you go. Studio Max requires intense training and it will be several weeks before you start to get somewhat comfortable with the interface and several months before you can actually make something on your own that actually looks halfway decent. Then, once you finally create something cool, you get to start learning about lights and cameras and rendering, which is a whole other ball of wax. And then if you want to animate what you've created, that's another learning experience. So when Stykface said "Not trying to discourage but letting you know what you're in for so you can manage your expectations", he was just trying to let you know that Studio Max is a difficult program to learn and even more difficult to master.

So anyway, yes, practice makes perfect. ;)

How are you doing on the barrel? Did you start over like I suggested? :unsure:

Edited by Cad64
Added questions

By the way, you should start a new thread for questions that are not related to the topic of this thread. This thread is already 3 pages and 22 posts long, and it's titled "gift wrapped box". If you have questions about creating a barrel, then you should start a new thread about that.

How are you doing on the barrel? Did you start over like I suggested? :unsure:

Not yet, but I'm going to delete my previous 2 attempts on the barrel and start over. Better yet, I'll start with tut # 1: cardboard (shipping) box in chapter 2 of the 3DS max modeling for games book after d/l the required files needed for the tuts from the author's website and do the box over again, then I start on the barrel next.

The reason I hadn't started over was I was so busy earlier today (and yesterday as well) going out, setting up Mom's computer to get it like the way it was set up before I wiped the HDD and put its original XP that it came with back on it since it had been upgraded to Vista and was running very sluggishly since it was ordered from Dell in 2003.

Believe, me, I'd rather be as busy as I was these last 2 days as it gives me no time to get bored, sit & dwell on my obsolute past, which I'm in the process of putting behind me so I can go forward into my wonderful future of new opportunities.

By the way, you should start a new thread for questions that are not related to the topic of this thread. This thread is already 3 pages and 22 posts long, and it's titled "gift wrapped box". If you have questions about creating a barrel, then you should start a new thread about that.

Ok, I'll do as you suggested. :)

Oh, and I have a question: In what way will these 3DS max 6 books that I ordered will teach me the basics? They both pertain to 3DS max modeling and filmmaking - does this mean that after I'm finished doing all the tuts in these max 6 books I'm going to have to order max 2011 books that pertain to filmmaking - spell this out for me if you can, please?

Note: could you please wait until the 12 Days before Christmas 2012 to suggest their titles to me, as I'm laying off on buying online until the 12 Days before Christmas 2012?

You may check out these links for info about these max 6 books I ordered in order to answer my questions.

3DS max 6 animation & visual effects techniques

3DS max 6 animation CG filmmaking from concept to completion

btw, when we were driving home from out outing earlier today, Mom was telling my 24-going-on-25 year old nephew that she likes to tackle projects that are difficult to do (such as crocheting, needlepoint stitching) and I've discovered that I take after Mom in this area, as nephew told me he doesn't want to learn to become a computer technician b/c computers have gotten more difficult to learn, and here I am, starting my second year going to college HT (half time) taking classes in learning how to be a computer technician (w/ networking/security skills) which is to be my new job-to-be, while this photoshop, 3DS max, filmmaking, etc stuff will be strictly my hobbies (like Mom's crocheting/needlepoint hobbies) and Mom also has working with stained glass behind her belt, too - so what I'm basically saying here is, I think Mom and I like to tackle projects that have steep learning curves.

Edited by AlienBZ

Oh, and I have a question: In what way will these 3DS max 6 books that I ordered will teach me the basics? They both pertain to 3DS max modeling and filmmaking - does this mean that after I'm finished doing all the tuts in these max 6 books I'm going to have to order max 2011 books that pertain to filmmaking - spell this out for me if you can, please?

Your books were written for software that was released 10 years ago. Although some things have remained the same, other things have changed, been removed from the program, added to the program, etc. If you rely solely on those old Studio Max 6 books, you will only learn the tools and techniques that were available back in 2003. You will not learn about any of the new tools/techniques that are available now, in your version of the program. I'm not going to tell you that you have to order new books, I'm just suggesting that it would be a good idea. It's totally up to you.

Note: could you please wait until the 12 Days before Christmas 2012 to suggest their titles to me, as I'm laying off on buying online until the 12 Days before Christmas 2012?

Don't worry, I couldn't recommend any books to you even if I wanted to. If I haven't read it or used it myself, I won't recommend it to anyone. When I was learning Studio Max, I learned by watching video training. I didn't use any books. So if you want recommendations on DVD training, let me know when you're ready to order and I'll let you know where to go. But if you want books, you're on your own. I don't have any recommendations.

Your books were written for software that was released 10 years ago. Although some things have remained the same, other things have changed, been removed from the program, added to the program, etc. If you rely solely on those old Studio Max 6 books, you will only learn the tools and techniques that were available back in 2003. You will not learn about any of the new tools/techniques that are available now, in your version of the program. I'm not going to tell you that you have to order new books, I'm just suggesting that it would be a good idea. It's totally up to you.

Ok, then, since I've searched both Barnes & Noble's website and Amazon.com, and could not find any 3DS max 2011 version books that pertain to filmmaking as these max 6 books did (these max 6 books were the closest match to my search query on these website (barnes & noble, amazon) in fact, these books were an almost perfect match of my search query, and the present-day (2011) books weren't, I went ahead and ordered these 10 year old books. Having said this, can you tell me, if I'm not to rely solely on these old books, how should I rely on them, that is, in what way? :?

I do plan on buying 2011-era 3DS max books that cover the gaps left in my version of max during the 12 Days before Christmas, however.

Having said this so far, Ok, does this mean that after I already have these 2011-version max books following the Christmas season, that I should take what I learned from the max 6 books (after making a list of the gaps in my program) and using the newer books to cover these gaps, or what? :?

Don't worry, I couldn't recommend any books to you even if I wanted to. If I haven't read it or used it myself, I won't recommend it to anyone. When I was learning Studio Max, I learned by watching video training. I didn't use any books. So if you want recommendations on DVD training, let me know when you're ready to order and I'll let you know where to go. But if you want books, you're on your own. I don't have any recommendations.

Ok, I guess I'll just have to go back searching on Barnes & Noble's website/amazon, or even ebay or half.com, then, but are there any clues that I should look for that would point me to the right books?

As for the DVD training videos, I might take you up on your offer of recommending me some (come December 13) Cad64, but I hope they're not expensive and I hope they discuss topics that these max 6 books that I've ordered discussed?

And also I hope these DVD's can be ordered from Barnes & Noble's/Amazon's websites?

Do these training DVD's have English subtitles?

Oh, can these max 6 books supplement the training DVD's or what?

I feel like we're beating a dead horse here. I don't know anything about the books you have except that they were written for an old version of Studio Max. Period. My only concern is that these books will be giving you outdated information, like telling you to use Combustion which no longer exists. But if these books are able to get you from A to Z with no problems, and you're happy with them, great. I'm not going to push you to buy more books and I've said all I'm going to say on this subject. It's up to you to decide if your Max 6 books are good enough or if you need more training material. It's your money and your hobby. So I'll leave it up to you to decide what's best for you.

As for the DVD training. Each DVD series usually runs anywhere from $40 to $60 each, depending on what you're buying and who you're buying from. As far as I know, the DVD's do not have English subtitles. Is that something you need? The instruction is all given in English. It's not like these DVD's are coming from China or France. They are made here in America.

Some DVD's can be purchased from Amazon, but again, it depends on what you're buying and what company you're buying from. Some training videos can only be purchased from the manufacturer's website.

Whatever you buy, (whether it's books or DVD's), will supplement the Max 6 books because most of what you learn in the Max 6 books is still relevant in your version of Studio Max. The only thing you're not getting in the Max 6 books is all the new stuff that's been added to the program since 2003.

Whatever you buy, (whether it's books or DVD's), will supplement the Max 6 books because most of what you learn in the Max 6 books is still relevant in your version of Studio Max. The only thing you're not getting in the Max 6 books is all the new stuff that's been added to the program since 2003.

Ok, I agree with you on this, Cad64. I'm quite happy to learn (as of today, even before I started using the max 6 books) that most of the tuts from the max 6 books will still apply to my version of max. But can you tell me what stuff that's been added (and taken out of) my version of max will not apply to these max 6 books so I can preview the tuts and mark (by hand in the table of contents) which tuts to avoid in these max 6 books once I start working with them (I know by now that since combustion won't apply to my version of max, so maybe I can substitute Adobe After Effects in place of Combustion?)?

I'm not going to tell you that you have to order new books, I'm just suggesting that it would be a good idea.

Ok, I'm going to take your suggestion to buy new books come the 12 days before Christmas.

can you tell me what stuff that's been added (and taken out of) my version of max will not apply to these max 6 books so I can preview the tuts and mark (by hand in the table of contents) which tuts to avoid in these max 6 books once I start working with them (I know by now that since combustion won't apply to my version of max, so maybe I can substitute Adobe After Effects in place of Combustion?)?

No, there's no way I can tell you that. Every year they add new stuff, change the way things work, come up with new techniques, improve functionality, etc. You just need to work through the tutorials in the book, and when you come across something that doesn't work the way the book says it's supposed to work, or doesn't look the way the book says it's supposed to look, or is completely missing from the program, understand that it has probably been changed or removed. Then come here and ask a question and I will try to point you in the right direction. But you can start off by knowing that Combustion does not exist, so you will have to use Adobe After Effects instead.

You just need to work through the tutorials in the book, and when you come across something that doesn't work the way the book says it's supposed to work, or doesn't look the way the book says it's supposed to look, or is completely missing from the program, understand that it has probably been changed or removed.

Thanks. This clarifies what I've been trying to ask you about these max 6 books. This is what I'll start doing. I'm thinking of starting off now (since I'd like to learn about movie making using max so bad before school starts in 2 weeks) that is, jumping into the beginning of that book from Philly (it came about a week ago) but I was so upset about an accident I had earlier last wk in which I broke my ring finger on my right hand and tomorrow I have to go to the hospital b/c I'm scheduled for an operation in which the dr is going to put a pin thru the bones in my finger since the tip of my finger cannot straighten out, X ray tech at ER said it was the tendon that could not straighten the finger tip, had a splint on that finger since last Fri (when book from Philly arr) so this sort of makes it hard to manieuver my fingers to pick up my laptop/move my chair, etc, so I'm just mostly sitting at my macintosh posting on some message boards I belong on (PC that max/the Adobe software is on is my windows computer, a laptop, w/ XP (32-bit) OS), macintosh is stationed on a desk, all I have to do is close the lid (its a laptop) to put it to sleep, lift lid to use it to read/post messages on boards) maybe I'll jump into Philly book tonight and after return from hosp tomorrow (hopefully) I might work from Philly book (although they said at hosp they're going to put me "out" for finger-pinning) if I'm back to my alert state like I am now (at 6:45 PM Pittsburgh time).

Then come here and ask a question and I will try to point you in the right direction. But you can start off by knowing that Combustion does not exist, so you will have to use Adobe After Effects instead.

Ok, will do, thanks. :D

Still waiting for that max 6 book I ordered from Ohio, won't it be nice if it arrives tomorrow?

• 1 month later...
This should have gone before my previous post.

Click the little button next to "Diffuse" to open the Material/Map Browser. Click "Bitmap" to load your texture.

This time (just for practice) I created a biological waste barrel (with sharp edges - I don't know how to make the edges of what is supposed to be a plastic waste barrel rounded) and am trying to add a plastic red texture onto this cylinder in my Standard Perspective Viewport, in my Materials Editor pane, only the "get material" and the "show material in viewport" (the buttons I have to click on in order to apply texture to barrel) are not grayed out, the "assign material to selection" no longer does anything (although it did its job perfectly back when I applied the Yoda giftwrap texture to my cardboard box) it looks as if its sort of grayed out, even though I have this texture loaded in the editor interface (on the materials selection boxes/windows) as well I have my barrel already selected - how exactly do I fix this?

This time (just for practice) I created a biological waste barrel (with sharp edges - I don't know how to make the edges of what is supposed to be a plastic waste barrel rounded)

Take a look at this great tutorial about hard surface modeling: http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/3d_studio_max/hard_surface_essentials/hard_surface_01.php

am trying to add a plastic red texture onto this cylinder in my Standard Perspective Viewport, in my Materials Editor pane, only the "get material" and the "show material in viewport" (the buttons I have to click on in order to apply texture to barrel) are not grayed out, the "assign material to selection" no longer does anything (although it did its job perfectly back when I applied the Yoda giftwrap texture to my cardboard box) it looks as if its sort of grayed out, even though I have this texture loaded in the editor interface (on the materials selection boxes/windows) as well I have my barrel already selected - how exactly do I fix this?

Can you provide a screenshot of your material editor?

I'm not sure why this is happening. Have you tried saving and closing Max and then restarting the program? Maybe it's just stuck. Max does do weird things sometimes and simply closing and restarting sometimes clears out the cobwebs.

Just bought (as I mentioned in my Philly book's thread) the 3DS max 2011 Bible today. Perhaps this will get me unstuck with the adding materials to my selection?

Were you able to figure out what the problem is with the "Assign Material" button? I'm really curious as to why it's greyed out, as I have not been able to duplicate this problem on my end.

I'm wondering, how did you get the texture into the Material Editor? Did you follow my instructions on page 1 of this thread?

Try this: Open a new file, create a cylinder and load your texture into the editor, (following my instructions on page 1), and see if you can apply the material to the cylinder.