using 3DS max 6 book from Philly's tuts - questions?

AlienBZ

No, make the jail cell full size. Lighting in Studio Max is based on real world units, according to your units set up, so you never want to scale down your models because the lighting won't work correctly.

Just select the blueprint and scale it up. It's like I keep telling you. Use the Transform tools to Move, Scale and Rotate objects into position. Or, just use the blueprint as reference. You don't have to build directly on top of it. If the blueprint doesn't have dimensions on it, then just approximate the distances between pillars. It doesn't have to be exact, it just needs to look good.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienBZ

• Cad64

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I just got done scaling my blueprint up. But I can only see the middle portion of it, there's no way to move it up/down, L/R when its scaled up. And the pillars get scaled up with the blueprint even though I only scaled up the blueprint - what do I do now?

You need to zoom out. Roll your scroll wheel to zoom in and out. This is a pretty fundamentally basic function, no matter what program you're using. Or use the zoom tool in the lower right corner of your screen. Zoom out so you can see more of the scene in your viewport.

I have no idea why your pillars are scaling up when you scale your blueprint. They must be attached somehow.

Zoom.jpg

I have no idea why your pillars are scaling up when you scale your blueprint. They must be attached somehow.

Yeah, I think so. How do I detach them?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's my latest work on the jail. But why does my model look so tall and narrow?

I tried to create all the structures (walls/pillars/cell bars) according to the described units count in the Philly book tut.

And part of the model is looking a bit off-center (part of it sticking beyond the "floor grid" in the Lower Right viewport) - Either I'll have to keep practicing, practicing, practicing, or there's a neat trick to get everything scaled (in L-R viewport) perfectly and "balanced" on the floor grid?

latest work on jail.jpg

Ok, I tried scaling/moving the problemetic pillars/walls so that they match up evenly (no gaps between then - or old "evil Debbie-hulk" could figure out a way to escape and we'd rather not have that happen. :lol:) But seriously, I find out that scaling these walls/moving them involved a lot of guess work to make sure there are no gaps between these structures?

check out my screenshot, please?

EDIT - now going to see if I can add a floor to this whole layout.

When is the model ready to apply the "skin" (textures) to all structures?

This jail cell block model will make a good scene for a DVD movie that I'm planning sometime in the future that's about the "old evil Debbie-hulk" getting arrested, court trial, jail, etc.

EDIT 4 - Found out how to resize the cell block walls/pillars by clicking "modifier" then going into "parameters" and changing them accordingly, but when one individual structure is changed, all the others change with it and some individual structures are not marching up exactly with the first wall/pillar where I changed its "hieght" parameter, they all move as a group. This model was built from an earlier model I started before the model of the cell bars with the "skin" (textures), lock and hinges on it and this earlier model I never grouped its objects, but while initially building this model I cloned each wall and pillar as an instance, or I'd create a new pillar/wall. how do I get all walls/pillars to match up evenly with the door hieght? But for now I'll look in my Max Bible to try to find the solution to the problem, but if I get stuck I'll ask for help.

EDIT 5 - Ok, I need help, please, I checked my Max Bible, used the "select all" command, but when I tried to go to Group > Ungroup, Ungroup was grayed out even though everything was selected, although the Group command was not grayed out. Now I'm really stuck - how to I ungroup (or fix) these structures (back to Edit 4 question)?

EDIT 3 - from the blueprint (floor plan) of my jail cell block, I was thinking about (and google-researching) the dimensions of a modern jail cell in a regular state prison, the wiki said they're 6 x 8 feet, and I think that, looking at my jail from the top viewport, this is about the dimensions of the individual cells in my jail cell block - might I be correct about this?

EDIT - Floor addition to jail model successful - look:

capture_10272012_122846.jpg

capture_10272012_205617.jpg

Edited by AlienBZ

So you got it all figured out then? :unsure:

Sort of. To fix these uneven pillars/walls I'll just have to delete all cloned instances of them, then clone them as copies instead of instances (haven't done this yet, just figured it out last nite in bed) since I think I discovered accidentally yesterday that a cloned instance of an object behaves in lockstep with the original object (such as changing parameters) but a cloned copy of an object behaves independently of other objects - am I right about this?

Yes, that is correct.

From the 3ds Max help files:

Depending on the method used to create them, cloned objects are called copies, instances, or references.

Copy method: Creates a completely separate clone from the original. Modifying one has no effect on the other.

Instance method: Creates a completely interchangeable clone of the original. Modifying an instanced object is the same as modifying the original.

Reference method: Creates a clone dependent on the original up to the point when the object is cloned. Changing parameters for modifiers that were applied to the object before the object was referenced, will change both objects. However, a new modifier can be applied to one of the reference objects, and it will affect only the object to which it is applied.

I was right about what I figured out last nite, so I fixed my jail model, but I messed up the entry door bars in the process (so have to go back to that book from Philly to recreate another door). But anyway I think I'm ready to apply the skin (textures) to all structures then add the doors (with their hinges, locks & skin) after I apply the skin to the walls, pillars and floor. What do you think, Cad64?

See screenshot:

capture_10292012_173939.jpg

I fixed my jail model, but I messed up the entry door bars in the process (so have to go back to that book from Philly to recreate another door)

Here's a tip: Always keep a backup copy, or multiple back up copies, of your file. If you have a backup copy, you can always go back to it if something goes wrong while you're working. Also, Studio Max is prone to crashing, and sometimes your file can become corrupted if a crash occurs, but if you have a backup copy, you won't lose all of your hard work. ;)

Looks good so far. Keep going. :thumbsup:

Now I'm ready to put windows in my jail cells. Looked in my Max Bible index but cannot find swift loop - where do I find it?

Suppose I want to add glass block for the window glass of my jail cells and a vent (to keep jail birds comfortable) in the ceiling?

I don't have a ceiling. Since this is going to be a scene in my movie, should I add a ceiling? If so, how do I get inside jail cells for the animation (of characters) procedures?

Now I'm ready to put windows in my jail cells. Looked in my Max Bible index but cannot find swift loop - where do I find it?

What is the version of your Max Bible? I believe swift loop was introduced in 2010, so if your book is for an earlier version, swift loop will not be in there. Didn't I provide you with this link once before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJdMLmQRiE

Suppose I want to add glass block for the window glass of my jail cells and a vent (to keep jail birds comfortable) in the ceiling?

You already know that you need to cut holes in the walls for windows, so you will do the same thing for the ceiling. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here?

I don't have a ceiling. Since this is going to be a scene in my movie, should I add a ceiling? If so, how do I get inside jail cells for the animation (of characters) procedures?

Yes, you absolutely have to add a ceiling. You can put the ceiling on it's own layer and hide that layer while setting up the scene for animation. Then unhide the ceiling when you start rendering out the animation.

What is the version of your Max Bible? I believe swift loop was introduced in 2010, so if your book is for an earlier version, swift loop will not be in there. Didn't I provide you with this link once before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJdMLmQRiE

My max Bible is v2011.

No I don't recall you telling me how to get to the swift loop. Only had the max bible a little less than a month.

You already know that you need to cut holes in the walls for windows, so you will do the same thing for the ceiling. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here?

I was asking after the ceiling holes are cut how do I add the surface where I'm going to put the vents on? Unless these vents are small lattices, too?

Do I add them the same way I added the door to this new jail cell bars?

(see screenshot)

And how do I add the windows? As a plane or a box (to fill the hole cut out of wall), make it transparent, then add the skin?

Yes, you absolutely have to add a ceiling. You can put the ceiling on it's own layer and hide that layer while setting up the scene for animation. Then unhide the ceiling when you start rendering out the animation.

Ok, how to add ceiling (as a plane) on its own layer (didn't know max uses layers - like photoshop -right?) and then hide/unhide this layer?

(think I'll have to get a max animation book that goes deeper into max animation than that max 6 CG filmmaking book from Ohio I got this past Aug. along with a character modeling book)?

Wow, a neat trick. Was wondering how the movie animators do it in these sci-fi movies.

OK, I made a new cell block door/bars/hinges/lock, but my lock is way out of proportion to the rest of the model. So I'm trying to get back into the lock's dimension parameters but I seem to have lost them (clicking modifier tab doesn't help, the selection interface (on extreme R side of screen) is showing up - can't seem to get parameters back again - help?

capture_10292012_202512.jpg

Yes, Max has layers. Consult your Max Bible.

If your Max Bible is the 2011 version then swift loop should be in there. It is a Graphite Modeling tool, so check that section of your Bible. If you can't find it, just watch the video in the link I posted previously. Or check the Studio Max help files in the graphite modeling tools section.

I think you should be able to figure out how to put the windows and vents into the cut outs in the walls and ceiling, so I'll let you work on that yourself.

You should also be able to figure out how to get the lock proportions correct. Go back and read through previous posts if you're stuck.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have an "Edit Mesh" and a "Vol. Select" modifier on and Editable Poly object? :?

B/c I was trying to fix the lock.

Incidentally I was thinking just now about that since this is going to be in my movie, that I should add the jail cell furniture (lavatory fixtures, a shelf for books above the bunk, a metal slab for the bunk (single bunk) chains to support bunk, and a thin, 2-inch thick slab for the mattress and a pillow (all made of leather, of course with sheet/pillowcase on them) b/c I'm thinking of having in this jail scene movie when the "old Debbie-hulk" is sentenced to jail, she's put in the cell (with bare leather mattress/pillow) the "old Debbie" is carrying the jail-regulation sheets/pillowcase and the scene sort of shows her making the bed while a demon (sort of the devil's helper) beams in next to her and the demon torments her, but she, faking self-control in an attempt to win her freedom in the (false) hopes of her family taking her back home, remains silent as she cries crocodile tears (jail bird establishment scene) - since this is a space prison, some of the other prisoners/guards are aliens (mix of humans/aliens, males/females) so how would I create all these structures (these characters, incl. the "old Debbie" will be added later) lavatory fixtures, bunk, mattress, chains, etc?

so how would I create all these structures (these characters, incl. the "old Debbie" will be added later) lavatory fixtures, bunk, mattress, chains, etc?

You would create them using the tools and techniques that you will learn when you buy the new books or DVD training videos. I cannot teach you how to use the program. I can only help you if you get stuck on something. I have my own projects that I'm working on, so I don't have time to put together step by step instructions on how to build every model you need for your movie. I'm sorry but you will just have to figure it out yourself.

I have linked you to several very good free tutorials that will teach you how to build a character, how to do hard surface modeling, how to apply and use UVW modifiers, etc., but you seem reluctant to use those tutorials and learn the procedures. You keep picking them apart and saying that you only need to learn this or that and you don't need to learn any of the other stuff, but as I said before, the tools and techniques used to build the other stuff will come in handy later when you're building something else. So instead of asking me to explain everything to you, why don't you stop what you're doing and start working through some tutorials. Once you learn how to use the tools you will be able to build anything you can imagine.

And don't forget about the links in this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?29434-***Free-Max-Tutorials***. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of free tutorials in those links.

I am not using Studio Max anymore, (I am using Modo now), and when I get my new computer I will not be installing Max on it. The program belongs to the company I used to work for and they were kind enough to allow me to continue using it until I got up to speed with Modo. I won't be able to help you as much after I move on to my new computer, so please, start working through some tutorials. And don't freelance them. Follow them through exactly as the instructor is telling you. You can do it your own way after you learn how to use the tools.

I found what looks like free Max plug-ins, the website says its a database for free plugins yet when I tried to d/l Bulge-O matic, it took me to another website (Di-something) where I tried to d/l this bulge o matic, the d/l link to me to an email sign-up form, and said "d/l trail version/buy" why are these people saying one thing (listing free plug-ins yet when I try to d/l 'em they're not free???) Are people lying or what? Makes me so mad.

Here's the link: http://www.maxplugins.de/max2011.php?range=Modifier&sort=Author

And here's the Bulge O Matic website where I tried to d/l Bulge O Matic: http://www.di-o-matic.com/products/plugins/BulgeOMatic/