using 3DS max 6 book from Philly's tuts - questions?

AlienBZ

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienBZ

• Cad64

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, (sigh) thanks so much Cad64. I was assuming that this signup thing was to buy the plug in.

But like it says on this free plugin database, I found a couple more plugin's: EdgeSmooth v1.0.1 and Asymmetric Scale Chamfer v1.0. Can these replace the EdgeChEx plugin (which you have to buy)?

I finally got the Bulge O Matic plugin.

About your new computer, Cad64: Do you mean to say after you get your new computer you won't be answering my Max questions anymore?

Why aren't the other max users on this board answering my max questions?

Are there other edge modifiers (that work like EdgeChEx) that I can get for free?

Edited by AlienBZ

Oh, (sigh) thanks so much Cad64. I was assuming that this signup thing was to buy the plug in.

Even if it was, you would have to give them your credit card info before any transaction could take place. So even if you did give them your email address, you are under no obligation to buy anything from them.

But like it says on this free plugin database, I found a couple more plugin's: EdgeSmooth v1.0.1 and Asymmetric Scale Chamfer v1.0. Can these replace the EdgeChEx plugin (which you have to buy?

I don't have any knowledge of these plug-ins as I have never used them before. You will just have to try them for yourself.

About your new computer, Cad64: Do you mean to say after you get your new computer you won't be answering my Max questions anymore?

I can't really say for sure. I will still be around to answer questions, but over time, I will start to lose my knowledge of the program. And since I won't have Max any more, I won't be able to provide screenshots to show you where things are located and you won't be able to send me files to check because I won't be able to open them, so you will have to be a little more self reliant. That's why I keep pushing you to work through tutorials and learn the tools and techniques.

I wish I could keep Studio Max, but I just can't afford it on my own. It's just too expensive.

Why aren't the other max users on this board answering my max questions?

I don't think there are any other Max users here? There used to be quite a few, but most of them have moved on to other programs. And the other members that post questions here are beginners, so they can't really answer questions yet.

I don't think there are any other Max users here? There used to be quite a few, but most of them have moved on to other programs. And the other members that post questions here are beginners, so they can't really answer questions yet.

I thought this was an Autodesk software forum where people that have all kinds of Autodesk software use these programs and hold discussions about it incl. personal forum-based Q & A's.

Will I be able to reach (and get more replies from) the 3DS Max users in the "General 3DS Max" forum at this site than I did in the "Beginner 3DS Max" forum here? Or will I have to find another 3DS Max forum?

Maybe its time for me to move on from the "beginner 3DS max" forum to the "general 3DS Max" forum?

This is the link to a tut (below) that tells how to make rounded edges on your models but it uses EdgeChEx. So since I don't want to have to buy EdgeChEx just to have rounded edges on my models, does that mean this tut is worthless for me or what?

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/rounding_the_edges/rounding_the_edges.htm

I thought this was an Autodesk software forum where people that have all kinds of Autodesk software use these programs and hold discussions about it incl. personal forum-based Q & A's.

This is not an Autodesk forum, it's a CAD forum. We are not affiliated with Autodesk in any way. But as I said, there used to be a lot more Studio Max users back a few years ago. Now the only people who come here are beginners. They usually ask a question or two and then we never see them again. I don't know if they lose interest, find another forum or switch to a different program? I have always wished that this area of the forum would be more active, but CadTutor is primarily an Autocad discussion forum. All other programs are secondary and I don't think a lot of people know there is a Max forum here?

Will I be able to reach (and get more replies from) the 3DS Max users in the "General 3DS Max" forum at this site than I did in the "Beginner 3DS Max" forum here? Or will I have to find another 3DS Max forum?

It doesn't matter if you post in the beginners section or the general section. I am still the only Studio Max guru here, and I reply to all Max questions in both sections. It might be a good idea to look at other forums and see if you can get answers elsewhere, but like I said, I will still be around for a while. It's not like I'm packing up and leaving tomorrow or anything. I will still be able to answer most questions, but I may end up referring you to tutorials or other sites if I can't give you an answer.

This is the link to a tut (below) that tells how to make rounded edges on your models but it uses EdgeChEx. So since I don't want to have to buy EdgeChEx just to have rounded edges on my models, does that mean this tut is worthless for me or what?

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/rounding_the_edges/rounding_the_edges.htm

No, that tutorial is definitely not worthless. It discusses many different ways to get chamfered or rounded edges on your model. The EdgeChEx plug in is only one way. But if you really want to use that plug-in, it's only $40, so it's not like it's going to break the bank if you decide to buy it.

Did you ever watch the video tutorials I linked you to before, regarding hard surface modeling? That tutorial shows you exactly how to get rounded edges on your models using the tools that are already present inside Studio Max. I really suggest you take some time and watch these videos. http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/3d_studio_max/hard_surface_essentials/hard_surface_01.php

I'm watching this tut you linked me to now, but the commands in the tut video are incredibly small - too small for me to see. So I looked online for a printable tut, and I came across that one I linked to where you have to buy EdgeChEx. Can you please help me?

Cad64, I just tried to d/l the tut but it says I'll have to pay for the upgrade of my youtube whatever it is I'll need - updater?

And I was thinking that d/l these tuts are free?

I don't want to have to pay for this d/l.

Besides, there's only 1 d/l link (at the top L of the main tut viewing area), there's no links below each video tut - help?

I don't know what to tell you. The tutorials ARE free. If you don't see the download links below each video then maybe you need to update your browser, or try a different browser, but definetly DO NOT pay for anything. The videos are free.

The only one that I am aware of: The Area

Cad64, I went over to the Area preparatory to register over there, but they ask for personal info such as your first and last names, and I'm not exactly too comfortable with giving out such personal info like that online except in a purchasing transaction - help?

What exactly do you want me to help you with? You asked for an Autodesk forum where there are other 3DS Max users, so I pointed you to one. I have no control over what they require for registration.

Here's a list of some other forums. Some are more active than others and some are more friendly than others, but here you go:

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

http://cghub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/

http://forums.3dtotal.com/

http://www.maxforums.org/

And again, I have no control over the registration requirements for any of these forums. If you want to be a member, ask questions and participate in discussions, you will have to provide the information they are requesting. Otherwise, you're going to be on your own.

Ok, I'll try on my other laptop. Thanks.

Were you able to access the videos on your other laptop?

Can you see the link under the video, as displayed in the screen grab below?

videos.jpg

Were you able to access the videos on your other laptop?

Can you see the link under the video, as displayed in the screen grab below?

Oops, I missed that link. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

And thank you for giving these links for Max/Autodesk forums (other than Area).

Cad64, earlier today (before going out to the Barnes & Noble cafe with my windows laptop) I registered on maxforums, at the sign-up page where it asked for full name I just put "n/a" (a little experimenting on the computer/internet/network) and guess what? It worked - I successfully registered there!

Now I reckon I can chalk this up for my tech (I'm currently in school learning how to be a computer technician with networking skills as a trade) experience when it comes to helping someone else that wants to register on a discussion forum but is leery about putting down their personal info on the sign-up page?