Help Reshaping an Object

shamwow

Hi.

Im somewhat new to 3DS Max, but I have began modifying a video game. The character in it has a plain beanie-type hat. I would like to try to reshape that into a fishing hat, but without creating new objects. I hope you guys understand what I mean.

Current Situation:

Rffml.png

Goal:

scaled.php?server=28&filename=awesomevp.png&res=landing

NOTE: Second picture is in game. That is just to show what I would like the hat to look like.

Thanks for the help!

Can you post a larger image of the hat you're starting with? It's difficult to see in that first image. And turn on edged faces so I can see the topology and edge flow of the beanie.

Why don't you just create a new hat instead of trying to modify the existing one. It would probably be faster and easier.

Here, I just quickly made this one and it only took about 1 minute to do it.

Hat.jpg

Can you post a larger image of the hat you're starting with? It's difficult to see in that first image. And turn on edged faces so I can see the topology and edge flow of the beanie.

Why don't you just create a new hat instead of trying to modify the existing one. It would probably be faster and easier.

Here, I just quickly made this one and it only took about 1 minute to do it.

Hmm. Thanks for the speedy reply.

I think I will just create a new hat. But I am not very good at 3DS Max as I stated, so I dont know how to really create one like that.

What tools did you use to create that hat?

I started with a simple box, converted to editable poly and deleted the bottom polygon

Next, I switched to "Border" selection mode, selected the open border left by the deleted polygon and used the "Scale" tool with "Shift" held down to create the brim

Then I applied a "Shell" modifier to give the hat some thickness

Once all that was done I used the "Swift Loop" tool to add in more edge loops

Then I switched to "Vertex" selection mode and used the "Move" and "Scale" tools to shape the hat

I realize you're a beginner, but this is all just basic modeling. How much experience do you have working in 3D?

Just a tiny bit in Maya.

Nothing serious though, just for fun.

Is there any chance you could just send me the hat? Sorry, but Im just really not good at modeling.

Im not really about the modeling part of 3ds max. The reason I use it is for animating stuff for the game that I am a part of.

Normally I wouldn't do this because if you don't try you will never learn, but what the heck, here you go. I had to export it to .3ds format because you're using Max 2008 and I'm on Max 2011 so you wouldn't be able to open my Max file.

Hat.3DS

Thank you so much.

I agree with that too. Usually I dont like to be spoonfed, its no fun that way.

Ill get around to learning how to model one day... :P

I am a moron.

I forgot that I was using version 8, not version 2008. Version 2005 would be correct.

Shows how much I know about 3ds max. I bought this just because it was old so it was cheap and I didnt want to burn 3.5k because Im not a professional.

Really sorry :(

After doing some more research, I am contemplating whether it would it be a smart investment to maybe buy a newer version (still not the newest, too much money)? Do 2009, 2010, differ that much from the 2005 which I use?

And would it be possible to convert that 3DS file you sent me into a .max file so I can use it with my version?

Where are you going to buy anything other than the newest version of Max? You can only purchase Autodesk software from authorized resellers, and the resellers can only sell the latest versions of the software. They are not allowed to sell old versions. I'm not sure where you got the version you have now, but you're lucky that Autodesk honored the license and allowed you to activate the program. The Autodesk licensing agreement for all of their software clearly states that the software license is non-transferrable. So yes, you may be able to buy the program on ebay, or wherever, but Autodesk does not have to honor the license. So you could end up spending your money on a program that is now useless because you can't activate it. My advice would be to stick with the version you have now or purchase 2013 from an authorized dealer.

I could give you the Max file, but you won't be able to open it on your version. I have Max 2011, so the files I create can only be opened on Max 2011 or newer. Studio Max is not backwards compatible. Older versions cannot open content that was created in newer versions. That's why I provided the .3ds file, so you could import it into your version. So what's wrong with the .3ds file I provided?